• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Oilers retaining salary
I'm not sure it'll make a difference.

Lucic is David Clarkson-level bad at the moment, where simply having him in your lineup means you're tying a lead anchor to two of your other forwards.

With Neal, there's at least still some hope he's not as bad as he looked last year.

Neal kind of sucks too now though. He was a healthy scratch. At least you can buy him out i guess.

its really amazing Dubas was able to clear away 5 years of Zaitsev's contrac.t

Neal kind of sucks too now though. He was a healthy scratch. At least you can buy him out i guess.

its really amazing Dubas was able to clear away 5 years of Zaitsev's contrac.t

well he had one bad year and he is overpaid but i think he is still an NHL player

lucic is not

and the oilers have no wingers so Neal will get plenty of chances

So apparently the deal is Lucic & a conditional 3rd for Neal, with Edmonton retaining 750K of the James Neal deal.

The condition is that if Neal scores 21 or more goals and Lucic scores at least 10 fewer than Neal does, Edmonton adds a 3rd.

Calgary also agrees to honour Lucic's NMC, which means that they will be protecting him in the Seattle expansion draft.

Last edited:
So apparently the deal is Lucic & a conditional 3rd for Neal, with Edmonton retaining 750K of the James Neal deal.

The condition is that if Neal scores 21 or more goals and Lucic scores at least 10 fewer than Neal does, Edmonton adds a 3rd.

Calgary also agrees to honour Lucic's NMC, which means that they will be protecting him in the Seattle expansion draft.

I assume you meant with Edmonton retaining some of Lucic's salary?

Why would Calgary do this deal? I know Neil is on the decline but Lucic has bottomed out already.

I assume you meant with Edmonton retaining some of Lucic's salary?

Why would Calgary do this deal? I know Neil is on the decline but Lucic has bottomed out already.

I think the thinking would be something along the lines of... Neal is done and isn't a fit anywhere on the roster. Lucic is done as a top-6 forward, but still has value as a goon/thug/enforcer, which is something Calgary was lacking.

Basically, Lucic can fill a role they need, while Neal offers them nothing. We'll see if they are correct. Neal on McDavid's wing could easily go back to scoring 20+ annually. Just depends how many steps he has lost. Lucic is definitely done though.

I think the thinking would be something along the lines of... Neal is done and isn't a fit anywhere on the roster. Lucic is done as a top-6 forward, but still has value as a goon/thug/enforcer, which is something Calgary was lacking.

Basically, Lucic can fill a role they need, while Neal offers them nothing. We'll see if they are correct. Neal on McDavid's wing could easily go back to scoring 20+ annually. Just depends how many steps he has lost. Lucic is definitely done though.

So... truculence?

Back