• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

He got fired twice and his teams choked in the playoffs regularly.
I think Dennis Savard was unfairly fired 6 games into the 2009-10 season. Looked at the team he was handed.

Yeah he was handed a good team and won 3 cups with them. That shouldn't be a knock on his record. Only makes him look better.

Kings make sense cause they are an old veteren team that isn't ready to rebuild, same with Ducks if they fire Randy....but the two spots i love for Q are Philly and St Louis, and either of those teams should be prepared to dump Hakstol or Yeo.

Oilers are interdasting too.

Also these are the two seasons Quenneville was fired after/during:

2003-04 STL - 61 gp, 29-27-7-2 .549 win%
2007-08 COL - 44-31-7 .579%

Teams made the playoffs both years.

Savard's best season:

2007-08 40-34-8 .537 - missed the playoffs.

If Savard didn't deserve it, then Q certainly didn't.

Savard's best season:

Eh, Savard was fired 4 games into the season(I was wrong about 6 games) is what I meant. that team was at an upwards projectery. The season prior was their best season in years despite missing the playoffs. That was a very young team.

Savard's best season:

Eh, Savard was fired 4 games into the season(I was wrong about 6 games) is what I meant. that team was at an upwards projectery. The season prior was their best season in years despite missing the playoffs. That was a very young team.
When you keep underachieving in the playoffs, especially with a team that wins the president's trophy, you will get fired eventually.

Last edited:
This has to be the year they win. They've lost 2 of the the past 3 conf. finals and a cup finals 4 years ago. The won't have a better chance.
Stamkos does not look like the same player at all. imo. Too many injuries. We dodged a bullet.

Tampa separating themselves from the pack. That team looks solid from top to bottom
...and they don't even have Hedman in the lineup right now either.

Still, we'll see how it shakes out in the end. They got off to a roaring start last year as well, but faded pretty badly down the stretch. Either way though, they might build up enough of a lead in the division that once again we'll be locked in to another Toronto/Boston 1st round playoff series fairly early in the season.

The Habs have placed Tomas Plekanec on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.

Kind of confusing...did they only bring him back for the purpose of getting him past 1000 NHL games as a Hab?

And while he wasn't great when he was with the Leafs, he didn't look like he was finished as an NHL player. Even if he's been rendered somewhat redundant by Max Domi & the play of Kotkaniemi so far, you'd think there would be value in keeping him around as a depth option at center ice.

5th liner then, 5th liner now. Remember how Zeke’s advanced stats said he was a 3rd liner, maybe even 2nd liner? Love those fancy stats.

And I take healthy Leafs over healthy TB.

Not without tinkering the D

Move Dermott into the top 4 and find a replacement for Hainsey/Zaitsev and we increase the odds much more

Well, we don't know what adds both teams will make at the deadline, so there could be a new major player or two included in the mix. But as they are, I'm not worried about our D really. And I think Stamkos being weaker, if Matty, Tavares, and Kadri all play to form, we've got them. Though I do think Willy needs to show up in order for it to happen, even with Kapanen having emerged.

Not without tinkering the D

Move Dermott into the top 4 and find a replacement for Hainsey/Zaitsev and we increase the odds much more

replace the slash with an &, and I agree. Hainsey was out of gas before the playoffs last spring and now he's a year older.

replace the slash with an &, and I agree. Hainsey was out of gas before the playoffs last spring and now he's a year older.

I would like to see Dermott moved into Zaitsev roll and find a replacement for Hainsey

Dermott should start seeing an increase in TOI and harder matchups to see how he is progressing

If he struggles then scale it back

Back