• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Canucks were smart to push for the playoffs this year while their rookies are on ELCs; however the choices of moves I have not liked outside of this Ferland deal. 1st round pick for a winger that the Lightning HAD to move is an embarrassment of asset management. Ferland deal alone looks okay, when grouped with their other shitty deals it starts to look bad. Benning will likely be canned around January IMO

Canucks were smart to push for the playoffs this year while their rookies are on ELCs; however the choices of moves I have not liked outside of this Ferland deal. 1st round pick for a winger that the Lightning HAD to move is an embarrassment of asset management. Ferland deal alone looks okay, when grouped with their other shitty deals it starts to look bad. Benning will likely be canned around January IMO

ageed , I give him a year max

Not sure where to put this but it's mostly just a ponder thing.

Like other hockey fans, I started following basketball with the Raps championship run. There's a lot of discussion and evidence that star players in the NBA have a much bigger impact on team success than they do in the NHL. Why is this?

One of the first things that struck me about watching the NBA is the games are much shorter -- just 48 minutes. Is the difference that stars can play a much greater proportion of the game in the NBA than the NHL due to the shorter game?

I got thinking this because I saw someone mention that stars used to get a lot more ice time in the NHL pre-90s. I'm not sure if that's true. I assume NHL stars get a lot less ice time than those in the NBA because it's just too grueling to play 30 mins a night three+ times a week for 7 months. Would NHL teams be able to play stars more prominently if they had, say, 20 fewer games?

Probably.

I also think a big reason though is that it is much harder to score in hockey, deficits are harder to overcome, and as a result luck is such a big factor. Each individual goal is worth so much more than a bucket. 1 or 2 lucky/unlucky bounces can decide a game, and in basketball it just kind of evens out over the course of 200 points a game.

Not sure where to put this but it's mostly just a ponder thing.

Like other hockey fans, I started following basketball with the Raps championship run. There's a lot of discussion and evidence that star players in the NBA have a much bigger impact on team success than they do in the NHL. Why is this?

One of the first things that struck me about watching the NBA is the games are much shorter -- just 48 minutes. Is the difference that stars can play a much greater proportion of the game in the NBA than the NHL due to the shorter game?

I got thinking this because I saw someone mention that stars used to get a lot more ice time in the NHL pre-90s. I'm not sure if that's true. I assume NHL stars get a lot less ice time than those in the NBA because it's just too grueling to play 30 mins a night three+ times a week for 7 months. Would NHL teams be able to play stars more prominently if they had, say, 20 fewer games?

I don’t think so. There’s so much time during a basketball game that you’re resting, whether in D or when not part of the play on offense. Way more standing around. You’re constantly laboring in hockey. Not sure players could play much more than they already do to basically eliminate a line and a pairing in the sport.

And that’s the heart of it. You need fewer players in basketball and therefore fewer stars are needed to make a large impact on a team. Three superstars out of an eight player “super team” in the NBA translates to around ten superstars to have the same impact on an NHL team. There aren’t even close to that many superstars to go around in the NHL.

In basketball your star(s) will have the opportunity to touch the ball on almost every possession in the game.

1. In hockey the best players have the puck on their stick for just over a minute. In the NBA the best players get 7, 8, 9 times as much time with the ball in their hands.

2. In hockey the best players play about 35% of the minutes peaking at 50% while in basketball it's over 80% and peaking near 100%.

2. Scoring is completely different in the sports, where in the NBA they're expected to score on half of their offensive zone possessions while in hockey it's only what? A few percent of the time? Basketball teams "score" the ball about 50 times per game while hockey team's score about 3 times a game.

If they want higher scoring they should really look to shrink the goalies equipment more.

I like hockey fine the way it is.

Just out of curiosity.

McDavid
TOI > 24 mins - 25 gp, 12 gls, 34 pts, 1.36 ppg
TOI 22 - 24 mins - 27 gp, 14 gls, 40 pts, 1.48 ppg
TOI < 22 mins - 26 gp, 15 gls, 42 pts, 1.62 ppg

Might be a little bit of selection bias in there though. Edmonton is probably playing him less when things are going well and they're up a goal or two, and playing him more when things aren't going as well and they're down.

Who knows. Its also a small sample size, and one player that I just picked because I knew he happened to play a **** ton in a bunch of games.

But, it only make sense that tired player play worse than rested players though.

Just out of curiosity.

McDavid
TOI > 24 mins - 25 gp, 12 gls, 34 pts, 1.36 ppg
TOI 22 - 24 mins - 27 gp, 14 gls, 40 pts, 1.48 ppg
TOI < 22 mins - 26 gp, 15 gls, 42 pts, 1.62 ppg

Eh. When he scores a bunch they're in the lead and Don t need to keep playing him. When he didn't score theyre trailing and they need to keep playing him and hope that he does.

I doubt that a couple extra minutes makes a significant difference in energy levels.

Last edited:
Sure, there are lots of factors in there like I said, but its evidently also not as simple as play more = score more.

There is more likely than not an ideal number of minutes to maximize performance, and it is likely different between players.

Back