• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

He seems faster the fatter he gets.
He's like a player from the 70's/80's. He should smoke in between periods

BTW, Phil Kessel can play until he's 40.
There's just no mileage on his body.
Yeah, at this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't lose his speed.

And I still harbour a far-fetched hope he'll come back to Toronto and play here when we're actually good at some point before he hangs them up.

Yeah, at this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't lose his speed.

And I still harbour a far-fetched hope he'll come back to Toronto and play here when we're actually good at some point before he hangs them up.

Ya, a guy who brought the Stanley cup to Sick Kids should get the chance but I doubt it would be an option.

Man the Oilers suck shit
I really wonder how long McDavid will be willing to put up with that shit.

Does he just be the quintessential hockey-culture-guy and just silently put up with it, or does he eventually demand that they get him the hell out of there?

Because it's not getting better in Edmonton anytime soon, IMO.

Man the Oilers suck shit

honestly their incompetence has been staggering when you consider the draft positions etc. it's unreal.

they need to seriously turn it around in the next few years, or McDavid is Casper. there's no way he'll re-sign there if they're a shitshow. the guy wants to win like any other star.

The Cup Favourite Jets are 2-2-0 and averaging 2.0 goals per game.

i'm a big jets fans and even i've been taken aback by the jets love-in this off-season, as their roster only got worse.

I chalked it up to Canadian media overcompensating because they didn't want to hype the leafs too much.

They've obviously got a lot of great young talent and some good vets but, yeah, they downgraded over the offseason.

There's a never-ending torrent of people who whine about Toronto and the Leafs at the media. It has affected them so badly, they are apologetic before they say anything nice about the Leafs and the broadcaster of record is downright hostile.

i'm a big jets fans and even i've been taken aback by the jets love-in this off-season, as their roster only got worse.

I chalked it up to Canadian media overcompensating because they didn't want to hype the leafs too much.

I thought Stastny was a big get for them. not keeping him was a blow.

you are 100% right on point #2. it's ridiculous.

also note that comparatively speaking nobody, absolutely nobody, has been talking about the Jets cap issues. only the Leafs.

The Jets have 22.7M in salary to players 30 years old and up (4 players), until 21-22. And 10.9M of that extends to the 24-25 season.
Laine,Connor,Trouba and Myers are all UFA(myers) or RFA next season.

The Leafs in comparison have 9.25M in salary to 30+ (2 players), 1 of which is gone next year and the other the year after.
Exactly half of our current NHL roster is RFA or UFA next season. Willie is an issue now.

We have 7M more in cap space than the Jets this season. (TML/12.9M - WJ/5.25M)

Two different sets of problems. I like the Leaf landscape a lot better. With the kids we have on d in the system, i think it's a good possibility we have 2 of them playing on the big pond next year (assuming Timmy is ready next year). We really need this to happen. Add a cheap FA d to give us some depth.

I think what could potentially be a thorn in our side is Mr Kapanen. If he stays on that first line all year and keeps on clicking with Patty & Papi... he is gonna want to get paid.

Just going through some cap numbers of teams... Jesus, Price and Weber are almost 25% of the Habs cap. Both over 30, and signed with NMC till 25-26.

I thought Stastny was a big get for them. not keeping him was a blow.

you are 100% right on point #2. it's ridiculous.

also note that comparatively speaking nobody, absolutely nobody, has been talking about the Jets cap issues. only the Leafs.

This. On Sportsnet in the last 24 hours there has been 3 separate articles about the Leafs losing Matthews/Marner/Nylander due to the cap.
And it's hilarious that they have one for Matthews wanting to "Go Home" to Arizona like Tavres did with the Leafs. Does no one think that if the Leafs had the Coyotees budget roster, mangement and results, Tavares would not have even met with the Leafs?
Leafs being Tavares' hometown team was only a small reason why he wanted to join them. And the same media would always be glad to point-out the Leafs could never bring home a hometown guy because they were not good enough.
The Coyotees have to cheat to be able to afford to reach the cap floor.

The Jets have 22.7M in salary to players 30 years old and up (4 players), until 21-22. And 10.9M of that extends to the 24-25 season.
Laine,Connor,Trouba and Myers are all UFA(myers) or RFA next season.

The Leafs in comparison have 9.25M in salary to 30+ (2 players), 1 of which is gone next year and the other the year after.
Exactly half of our current NHL roster is RFA or UFA next season. Willie is an issue now.

We have 7M more in cap space than the Jets this season. (TML/12.9M - WJ/5.25M)

Two different sets of problems. I like the Leaf landscape a lot better. With the kids we have on d in the system, i think it's a good possibility we have 2 of them playing on the big pond next year (assuming Timmy is ready next year). We really need this to happen. Add a cheap FA d to give us some depth.

I think what could potentially be a thorn in our side is Mr Kapanen. If he stays on that first line all year and keeps on clicking with Patty & Papi... he is gonna want to get paid.
Yeah, you definitely have to like the Leafs' situation better than the Jets.

They do have a couple of big advantages over the Leafs---Sheifele is probably as good a #1 center as Tavares, and he's signed for the next six years for just over $6M. They also have their own version of Willy Nylander (Nik Ehlers) signed for seven years at $6M flat.

On the flip-side, Blake Wheeler & Dustin Byfuglien are two of the biggest reasons the Jets are one of the best teams in the league, and they're 32 & 33 years old respectively. Jacob Trouba is their #1 defenseman, but he's only got one more year of RFA eligibility left before he can become a UFA. And considering his history of holdouts and trade demands, it seems pretty likely that he might just file for arbitration at the end of the year, take another one year deal and then skate off into the sunset.

Kyle Connor & Patrik Laine are also both RFA's at the end of this year. Laine, unless he has a disastrous year, will cost them north of $10M. And then Connor will likely be looking for something in the neighbourhood of $7M+ if he duplicates or improves upon his performance last season.

All that adds up to having a much smaller window for contention than the Leafs, IMO.

Laine's turning into their biggest problem, really.

He plays the game exactly the wrong way, but he's going to cost a fortune.

If I were the jets, i'd be looking to trade him.

This. On Sportsnet in the last 24 hours there has been 3 separate articles about the Leafs losing Matthews/Marner/Nylander due to the cap.
And it's hilarious that they have one for Matthews wanting to "Go Home" to Arizona like Tavres did with the Leafs. Does no one think that if the Leafs had the Coyotees budget roster, mangement and results, Tavares would not have even met with the Leafs?
Leafs being Tavares' hometown team was only a small reason why he wanted to join them. And the same media would always be glad to point-out the Leafs could never bring home a hometown guy because they were not good enough.
The Coyotees have to cheat to be able to afford to reach the cap floor.
Funny thing is that before Tavares idea of him coming home seemed absurd to these same pundits. Now it's the reason we'll lose our future captain.

Funny thing is that before Tavares idea of him coming home seemed absurd to these same pundits. Now it's the reason we'll lose our future captain.

I was quite amazed hearing the Leafs not even mentioned locally as a contender for Tavares the week he signed.
The Coyotees are such a bad, irrelevant franchise. They are the polar opposite of what the Leafs are right now.

Back