• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

**Leafs trade Josh Leivo to Canucks for Michael Carcone**

The Leivo hill is a strange one to die on.

Not as strange as the Corrado, Griffith, ones...but strange.

eh, if you had to watch Hyman and Brown flub Marner's passes all season you may feel differently.

I mean at the end of the day, it's not the hill I'd expect Doobs to die on. but also not something as a fan I'm prepared to just accept and move on.

As I said, it's not going to kill a team but being like "it doesn't matter he isn't that good!!!" is kind of a dumb argument. It kind of implies that the team should only care about first liners or star players. And that the rest doesn't really matter.

As little impact you feel that losing Leivo has made, the fact of the matter is the coach felt that a player that was clearly better than about four or five current wingers on the leafs was in fact worse. And the GM disagreed but made the move to trade him anyway. That's the concerning part for me.

I mean, we all assume Doobs felt differently than Babs on this one. It's possible they felt the same way - we don't know what analytics they use. Not that it really changes anything from the fan perspective though

and the counting stats, for LOF:

Leivo (VAN): 4 gp, 2 g, 1 a, 3 pts = 0.75 ppg

I’m keeping track myself, but thanks.

Hope he keeps it up for himself, but I’m not exactly sold yet after four games. I think when he first came up with us he had like 8 points in 15 games or something, causing several here to say he “does nothing but produce”, only to then keep saying that while he produced nothing further for the next 30 games. And he was still making bonehead lazy plays in both zones, whether putting up points or not, so I have no idea if he’s doing the same over there now.

All of that said, I did expect him to put up some points with an increased role, it’s only natural that he would. But you often see lesser players get more points when they’re on bad teams and playing higher in the lineup. If he’s still the same guy he was over here, he’s just not someone a contending team wants in their top 6 or top 9. But let’s see how it plays out.

And all this stuff about Dubas being forced to trade him is nonsense until he actually comes out and says so. He may well have agreed with Babs that Leivo isn’t good enough for a larger role. Which he wasn’t over here.

I’m keeping track myself, but thanks.

Hope he keeps it up for himself, but I’m not exactly sold yet after four games. I think when he first came up with us he had like 8 points in 15 games or something, causing several here to say he “does nothing but produce”, only to then keep saying that while he produced nothing further for the next 30 games. And he was still making bonehead lazy plays in both zones, whether putting up points or not, so I have no idea if he’s doing the same over there now.

All of that said, I did expect him to put up some points with an increased role, it’s only natural that he would. But you often see lesser players get more points when they’re on bad teams and playing higher in the lineup. If he’s still the same guy he was over here, he’s just not someone a contending team wants in their top 6 or top 9. But let’s see how it plays out.

And all this stuff about Dubas being forced to trade him is nonsense until he actually comes out and says so. He may well have agreed with Babs that Leivo isn’t good enough for a larger role. Which he wasn’t over here.

So basically you're saying that there's no level of performance he can achieve in Vancouver that would lead you to admit that he was always actually as good as we claimed and that he could in fact have been a significant asset here because something something lazy plays.

91HiqSzRYwL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg

I’m saying it wouldn’t be the first time a guy whose overall game isn’t very good puts up some points on a bad team.

And that he’s not the kind of guy a contending team tends to want.

Considering how Babs has pushed up and brought the best out of literally every young player here, why do you think he’d have an axe to grind against this one guy? By all accounts, Leivo seems like a good kid, so why the supposed vendetta?

I’m saying it wouldn’t be the first time a guy whose overall game isn’t very good puts up some points on a bad team.

Except Leivo's overall game is very good, thus the fantastic possession metrics, the fantastic expected goals metrics, etc.

And that he’s not the kind of guy a contending team tends to want.

A cheap winger who is good in all 3 zones and puts up points?

Considering how Babs has pushed up and brought the best out of literally every young player here, why do you think he’d have an axe to grind against this one guy?

Because Leivo doesn't look good chasing the puck, and he doesn't PK. Those are Babcock essentials for depth wingers, which is insane. Leivo has a significant impact on puck possession, period. When he's on the ice we chase the puck less, but Babcock has always put outsized value on players who look good chasing the puck (Polak, Hyman, Brown, Hainsey, etc). Babcock did help develop a very good version of Leivo, it just isn't the type of player he values. I believe that he's wrong to not value that type of player. For example, Kapanen is literally better at everything than Hyman, but Babcock's advice to Kapanen was to play more like Hyman if he wanted to be a top 6 winger. It's clear what Babcock values.

By all accounts, Leivo seems like a good kid, so why the supposed vendetta?

By all accounts aside from Babcock's apparently. Remember how he waxed poetic the day after the trade about how chipper and good a guy Ennis is? Fwiw, I don't think he has a "vendetta" against Leivo, I think he just doesn't appropriately value what Leivo does on the ice, and then got his back up when Leivo got cranky last year about sitting.

I think Babs gave him his opportunities, and didn't see enough out of him. Plain and simple. He brought every other kid along in the same way. He showed tough love to even the likes of Marner and Nylander. They're immensely more talented, of course, but they also took their games up a notch. You don't see them floating around or making blind backhanded passes in dangerous areas, over and over and over again. When he tells Kapanen to play more like Hyman, he's not expecting him to go grinding in the corners, he's expecting him to be a responsible player at both ends of the ice, and he's become that. Of course a guy like Babs is going to sour on a guy who doesn't improve his game in the ways he demands. There's no personal thing behind this, no grudge being held. Leivo simply isn't a better player than the guys playing ahead of him, no matter what the bullshit possession stats say about him.

ME you have the patience of an angel. Your wife is one lucky broad. I'm jealous.

I can't get through a single LOF post without getting the urge to go on a mass killing spree. I don't know how you do it.

I think Babs gave him his opportunities, and didn't see enough out of him. Plain and simple.

I agree, because Babcock was looking for the wrong things out of Leivo. Babcock wanted him to be a gud pro, he's not a gud pro. Babcock very clearly loves defined roles. If you're not a star, you're a puck pursuit digger. Leivo is neither. What he is though, is a sneaky valuable winger who drives possession play very well, and helps create offensive chances. He's not bad defensively either, he's actually extremely strong on the defensive half boards, which has oddly enough been a massive weakness for the Leafs over the last few years.

You don't see them floating around or making blind backhanded passes in dangerous areas, over and over and over again.

Again, paying attention to the wrong shit. If Leivo was as floaty and turnover prone as you suggest, the possession and expected goal numbers would show it.

When he tells Kapanen to play more like Hyman, he's not expecting him to go grinding in the corners, he's expecting him to be a responsible player at both ends of the ice, and he's become that.

Nonsense. When he tells Kapanen to play like Hyman...not more like Hyman, but like Hyman, he's telling him to be a puck pursuit player, to play a simple game. Go listen to his direct quotes on his expectations, it's clear as day what he wanted from Kapanen. He specifically said that some guys are skill players in lower leagues and have to change their games to be successful in the NHL and for Kappy to be successful in the NHL he had to play like Hyman.

Of course a guy like Babs is going to sour on a guy who doesn't improve his game in the ways he demands. There's no personal thing behind this, no grudge being held.

I don't disagree with this. Like I've repeated a few times, Babcock just cares about the wrong shit in his depth wingers. He still wants to play tight, heavy trap hockey in an era clearly trending towards puck possession and skill.

Leivo simply isn't a better player than the guys playing ahead of him, no matter what the bullshit possession stats say about him.

Possession, expected goals (based on total shots for and against, type of shot and location of shot), actual goal (Over his Leaf career, 60% of goals scored while he was on the ice were Leaf goals, which is the highest of any Leaf other than Travis Dermott over that time frame)

The puck goes the right way when he's on the ice, and ends up in the right net more than almost any other Leaf, sustainably. Higher than any of his team mates, line mates, etc. But you're more worried about how he looks doing it.

Now he's doing it again for a worse team, but with better counting stats because ice time is a thing, and you're going to say it's because he's putting up empty numbers on a bad team. Nope, he's doing exactly what he would have done here if given the opportunity.

Leivo is measurably better than every winger on the Leafs other than Nylander, Marner, & Kapanen. Better than Brown, better than this version of Marleau, better than Hyman. Some people just pay attention to the wrong shit, when performance and outcome are all that truly matter.

[video=youtube;pWgyy_rlmag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWgyy_rlmag[/video]

Long story short, Babs didn't think he was good enough to be higher up in the lineup. He did somehow think that for everyone else, but because he didn't think that about Leivo, it means he's in a category all by himself - not a super skilled player, but also not a bottom line player. Whether that's true or not, it doesn't really matter. He doesn't have the combination of skill and responsible play to have a spot in OUR top 6, that's not up for debate. And clearly Babs values things the players playing above Leivo bring more than what Leivo can offer - Hyman for supreme boards work and puck retrieval, Marleau for unmatched experience with some offense and responsible defensive play, and Brown for just being a better defensive forward while still bringing some offense. So unless any of these guys were being dumped, which they're not, there was no place for Leivo here, other than on the fourth line. And over there, it's really a toss up between him and other guys, with Lindholm and Goat getting an edge probably because they're centers, and Ennis endearing himself with speed, more skill, and frankly some pretty decent overall play lately.

But Babs has proven himself to be an incredible talent evaluator and developer. I think I trust that my eye test being validated by him are good enough to go on. As for the Kapanen/Hyman thing, I really have a hard time believing that Babs wanted a totally different game out of Kapanen, and that he wanted him to suddenly become a dump and chase grinder. I mean, come on. I can't really accept that he saw a guy with skill similar to Nylander and Marner - not as good, just similar - and thought I want this guy to go into the corners and dig out pucks. The only reasonable interpretation of those comments has to be that he wanted Kapanen to hustle more, battle more, be a safer player at the other end of the ice, things like that. Does he like his "gud pro" types? (Man I hate that term). Sure. Too much even, which is why guys like Polak and Hainsey play too much and over their heads. But is he so blinded to think that every player, even ones as skilled as Kapanen and Dermott, need to play like Hyman and Polak? I don't think so.

Regarding the possession debate, obviously I'm not a student of it, but it's because philosophically I can't get behind the stat conceptually. To say that one guy is responsible for something like team shots for or against is silly. It's no different than plus/minus, maybe more offensive even since that's just a black or white stat, either on the ice or not, regardless of what you did. But this is to say that when one guy is on the ice, things happen for a team one way or the other, which I can't subscribe to. So if the other team cycles the puck and gets a few dangerous looks but no actual shots (maybe even a post or two) for the entirety of a shift, and on the same shift Leivo's linemate shoots in a puck on the goalie from the other end of the ice on a clearing attempt just to end the pressure, that actually improves the Leafs players' possession stats? Even if Leivo didn't take the shot, and maybe started the whole thing off by giving the puck away to the other team, leading to their spending the entire shift in our zone?

And so 60% of goals scored while he was on the ice were Leafs goals, it's because of him and not the four other guys? You guys constantly harp on Hyman and what a drag he is, so if 60% of goals scored while he's on were Leafs goals, would any of you attribute that to him being the reason, or would you say it's because of Marner and Tavares and the two dmen? And why would Hyman's number be any different than the other four guys on the ice, give or take for a few seconds extra going on or off a shift? I can acknowledge that it says something, it has some import in the proper context maybe, but the way you use this stat to assign such importance to one guy on the ice seems so flawed that I can't bring myself to pay attention to it. It doesn't in any way take into account boatloads of shitty plays that a guy can make, just as long as the team is getting more shots than the other one, when there are nine other skaters on the ice that contribute to that.

Meh, I've made my argument, the numbers are clear. That you choose not to understand simple concepts, or worse yet, argue against them is on you man. It's going to get awful tiring though continuing to invent new arguments regarding guys like Kapanen, Leivo, etc "all of a sudden" breaking out offensive when given opportunities (whether on the Leafs or not) and why they weren't that good before their opportunity.

Josh Leivo is going to do exactly what we said he would do, for the reasons we said he was going to do them. He would have done them here had he been given the opportunity but he wasn't. You've already started to spin that with nonsense and we're not yet two weeks into the experiment. He's a good hockey player, that you can't see it because of some eye test nonsense is going to be on you. So yeah, prepare your excuses, I'm not letting this one go.

I’m not spinning anything. The day he was traded I said I wouldn’t be surprised if he put up points over there if given prime time minutes, but I don’t think he’ll change as a player. I still stick to my prediction that he won’t last there either. He’ll be a journeyman guy who’ll play for another five or six teams and then disappear. He’ll be like another Leipsic, but better. I’m happy to eat my share of crow if he ends up being a top six player on a competitive team for a sustained period.

As for my other comments about possession generally, I am genuinely interested in your answers. I actually want to be convinced that stupid holes like the ones I gave in the hypotheticals don’t actually exist. I’d love to take that stat seriously.

Oh, and the Kapanen thing has no relevance here whatsoever. See last week’s posts on it. No need to repeat.

As for my other comments about possession generally, I am genuinely interested in your answers. I actually want to be convinced that stupid holes like the ones I gave in the hypotheticals don’t actually exist. I’d love to take that stat seriously.

Fair enough.

Regarding the possession debate, obviously I'm not a student of it, but it's because philosophically I can't get behind the stat conceptually. To say that one guy is responsible for something like team shots for or against is silly.

Not team shots, just shots that are taken when the individual player is on the ice. Then the possession statistic is adjusted for score effects (a team behind on the scoreboard tends to take more but lower quality shots), team, etc (that's why you see us using relative statistics instead of just raw shot attempt numbers).

If a player is consistently better than average in relative possession statistics (which again, is measured against their team mates) then they're very likely doing things on the ice to promote the puck going towards the right net. It doesn't mean that they're doing it themselves, just that they're doing things better than their team mates are to drive that play.

It's no different than plus/minus

Nah, it's a lot different. Goals are a really infrequent events (so not a lot of available data, if there are only a couple data points per game to work with) and +/- has no adjustments done. When you see a player go from a good team to bad, or vice versa, their +/- swings wildly. Their possession numbers though, don't.

So if the other team cycles the puck and gets a few dangerous looks but no actual shots (maybe even a post or two) for the entirety of a shift, and on the same shift Leivo's linemate shoots in a puck on the goalie from the other end of the ice on a clearing attempt just to end the pressure, that actually improves the Leafs players' possession stats?

Well first is that the stats track shot attempts, not actual shots on net. So the posts count as shot attempts, blocked shots count as shot attempts. So in your hypothetical, those players on the ice in scenario A would be rewarded in the possession stats for their shot attempts.

Even that though is kind of the wrong way to think about it, because one isolated event kind of doesn't matter. What matters is the collection of a pile of data. For example, if 1000 of your scenario A's happened, and 1000 of your scenario B's happened, I'm comfortable saying that scenario A would generate for more shot attempts than scenario B. The players who found themselves in scenario A more often, would be superior possession players to scenario B. To further clarify the matter though, statistics like expected goals actually tracks the shot location and gives the shot a % chance of going in from there (based on real shot data, how many pucks have gone in from that location versus shots taken from there) and folds that into it's number. So if scenario A's players were taking shot attempts from areas with a high chance of going in, they would be rewarded in the xGF% statistics for those shot attempts from dangerous areas, and that 150 foot clearing attempt just happening to land on the opponents net, as it has a very nearly 0% chance of going in the net, isn't rewarded to nearly, nearly the same degree.

Even if Leivo didn't take the shot, and maybe started the whole thing off by giving the puck away to the other team, leading to their spending the entire shift in our zone?

Well that's the thing, if Leivo was turning the puck over a lot, he would be spending a lot of his time in the defensive zone and would see a lot of shot attempts against. But we see, over his Leaf career, with a number of different team and line mates, Leivo has generated a higher percentage of shot attempts going the right way than his team mates have. Like I've repeated a bunch of times, if Leivo was playing the way you've claimed, he simply wouldn't have the metrics he has. They're specifically tuned to look for the events in hockey games that lead to shot attempts for and against.

One final little bit on some of the old school "intuitive" statistics that are extremely misleading. My favourite two are blocked shots and turnovers. One has been praised and the other vilified over the years but the old consensus on them is largely wrong. A blocked shot is a bad thing. Now, it's not the act of blocking the shot that's bad, it's that the other team had possession of the puck in your end and attempted a shot on net. At some point, someone made a bad play with the puck and gave up possession of it. For example, it can be as simple as a dump in (again, a play that is almost universally praised) that leads to a change of possession.

A turnover though, specifically an offensive zone turnover, aren't nearly as bad as they seem. If a turnover is made while trying to attempt to make a play (like a pass into a dangerous shooting area for example), that was a play with a chance of turning into a goal. That's a play worth trying over and over again because a significant amount of the time, you're going to generate a good shot off of it, and those lead to goals. The other part of that is the act of holding the puck in the NHL is a skill, full stop. The single hardest thing to do in that league is to hold possession of the puck. If you're good at that supremely difficult skill, you're going to turn the puck over a lot because you're going to have the puck a lot. If you're shit at holding/carrying the puck, you never have it to actually get a "turnover"...but of course the league doesn't consider a player willingly giving up possession (a dump in) as a turnover, only when a player is trying to make a play with it.

For reference, look at the top 10 forwards in the NHL for "giveaways". Larkin, Draisatl, Gaudreau, Pastrnak, Getzlaf, Malkin, Barzal, Hoffman, Marchand, Bailey. The lowest scoring forward on that list is Barzal with 23 points in 29 games.

But we had it drilled into our head for years that turnovers of all sorts are killer, that you're supposed to make "safe" plays with the puck. It's rubbish. Players who make plays, turn the puck over regularly trying to make plays.

I watched Leaf regular season games mostly because of Leivo. He wasn't a great player by any means, but something about him intrigued me.

Now that he is gone, I don't watch the Leafs, I would rather do some housework. I think Babcock has robbed me of my obsession with the team, perhaps I should thank him

Last edited:
You watched the Leafs for the 4th line when they have some of the best hockey players in the world you could ever want to watch in Matthews and Marner (and now Nylander)?

Marner is easily top 5 hockey players that are the most fun to watch play hockey. You are missing out.

Not team shots, just shots that are taken when the individual player is on the ice. Then the possession statistic is adjusted for score effects (a team behind on the scoreboard tends to take more but lower quality shots), team, etc (that's why you see us using relative statistics instead of just raw shot attempt numbers).

Yes, but shots that the team takes while the individual is on the ice. It's all the shots taken by all five Leafs on the ice, not just Leivo, who notoriously couldn't hit the net. Measured against all the shots the opposing team takes while he's on the ice. The adjustments you mention are good, to the extent they are reliable. I don't know the math behind assuming shots are lower quality just because a team is behind - that would seem to depend on the team, and isn't just an across the board fact. Actually, when a team is behind by a goal and they abandon the defensive game somewhat in the last five minutes or so, the shots tend to be pretty high quality and dangerous because everyone is on the attack. But let's say they've got the math mastered and the adjustments work, it still doesn't move me that the stat rolls up the contributions of all five guys on the shift and assigns a number. The dmen could have a monster shift and let nothing through, while taking it to the other team offensively. Leivo gets the credit, but doesn't do any of the work. No different than if he's on the ice with Matthews and Marner and they pop a goal while Leivo never even gets near the puck, but they all get a +1 just the same.

If a player is consistently better than average in relative possession statistics (which again, is measured against their team mates) then they're very likely doing things on the ice to promote the puck going towards the right net. It doesn't mean that they're doing it themselves, just that they're doing things better than their team mates are to drive that play.

But that's the thing. Presumably all five guys on the ice are earning themselves the same number for that shift, right (ignoring seconds gained or lost for getting on and off at different times)? If so, it doesn't differentiate between what they are each individually actually doing on the ice. It's musketeer style - all for one and one for all. When you say it's measured against their teammates, it's really measured against just the teammates not playing with them at the same time. So, if the Matthews line is going up against the other team's best players usually - say Crosby - maybe Matty is winning that advanced stats battle or not, and Leivo is going up the opposing team's worst players, what's the value of even comparing the two against each other. How is Matty's number relevant to Leivo's number? It's apples and oranges, isn't it?

Nah, it's a lot different. Goals are a really infrequent events (so not a lot of available data, if there are only a couple data points per game to work with) and +/- has no adjustments done. When you see a player go from a good team to bad, or vice versa, their +/- swings wildly. Their possession numbers though, don't.

I'll take your word for it on the possession numbers. Why would they not change though? They're playing with four different guys. So if Tavares goes from playing with lesser players on NYI to playing with Marner and Rielly having career seasons in Toronto, his numbers don't see a jump? Now the Leafs are maybe a bad example because I think we give up a lot of shots, but still, where's the logic? It doesn't matter who the other four guys on the ice are, even if they're way worse, your shift is still resulting in more shots for than against, and you're the one responsible for it?

Well first is that the stats track shot attempts, not actual shots on net. So the posts count as shot attempts, blocked shots count as shot attempts. So in your hypothetical, those players on the ice in scenario A would be rewarded in the possession stats for their shot attempts.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. To the extent I didn't account for this above, my bad, but I don't have the time to go back. So say in the same scenario then, modified a bit, Leivo gives the puck away at the beginning of the shift, the opposing team is cycling the **** out of the Leivo line and is in our zone for 45 seconds but doesn't get a shot off, and then Leivo takes the puck and fires it down the ice directly on the goalie. Leivo line's possession stats went up, opposing line's possession stats went down, even though the opposing line actually "possessed" the puck the entire time?

Even that though is kind of the wrong way to think about it, because one isolated event kind of doesn't matter. What matters is the collection of a pile of data. For example, if 1000 of your scenario A's happened, and 1000 of your scenario B's happened, I'm comfortable saying that scenario A would generate for more shot attempts than scenario B. The players who found themselves in scenario A more often, would be superior possession players to scenario B. To further clarify the matter though, statistics like expected goals actually tracks the shot location and gives the shot a % chance of going in from there (based on real shot data, how many pucks have gone in from that location versus shots taken from there) and folds that into it's number. So if scenario A's players were taking shot attempts from areas with a high chance of going in, they would be rewarded in the xGF% statistics for those shot attempts from dangerous areas, and that 150 foot clearing attempt just happening to land on the opponents net, as it has a very nearly 0% chance of going in the net, isn't rewarded to nearly, nearly the same degree.

Okay, more comforting. And I agree, cycle the puck for a full shift in the offensive zone, and more often than not, you'll have your shot attempts. But it still doesn't make me feel any better about my biggest gripe about the stat - that it doesn't differentiate between the individuals and what they're doing on the shift. If Leivo, Ennis, and Gauthier were all on at the same time, and say they all played the exact amount of time (on when the puck dropped, and then the play stops later on a penalty call), no matter what happens, they all earn the same possession number for that shift, correct? Leivo can give the puck away five times, while Ennis rushes the puck up off the ice and takes two or three shot attempts. But they're treated as though they contributed the exact same to the shift.

Well that's the thing, if Leivo was turning the puck over a lot, he would be spending a lot of his time in the defensive zone and would see a lot of shot attempts against. But we see, over his Leaf career, with a number of different team and line mates, Leivo has generated a higher percentage of shot attempts going the right way than his team mates have. Like I've repeated a bunch of times, if Leivo was playing the way you've claimed, he simply wouldn't have the metrics he has. They're specifically tuned to look for the events in hockey games that lead to shot attempts for and against.

How does this work though? So he had some time with Kadri, I think? And he had some stints with Lindholm and Gauthier. So it doesn't matter who the other four guys are or what the other four guys are doing on the ice, somehow Leivo being on the ice results in a net positive on team shot attempts? How does that make sense? And again, how do we account for the fact that he's not playing against the other team's best players? Why compare him to Matthews or Tavares, for instance, when they are basically playing a different game? And if we're comparing him to his own linemates, why would his number be any different than theirs? But say the third and fourth lines get juggled. It was Leivo-Kadri-Brown and Lindholm-Gauthier-Ennis, and then Leivo and Lindholm get flipped. So now what happened, you're saying, is that Lindholm's number would go down while Leivo's would stay up, even though Lindholm would be playing with better players? What about the dmen that aren't glued to the forward lines and change? Isn't the possession number like plus/minus too in the sense that it doesn't track who you're playing with, just what your individual number is? What I'm getting at is that it seems like there are so many variables that can't possibly be accounted for. Who you're playing with, who you're playing against, what the players on the ice are actually doing, random circumstances (player from one team breaks his stick and is playing without it for half the shift), dmen playing with you (if Rielly is playing behind Leivo and Ozy is playing behind Lindholm, isn't that significant?), etc. And most importantly, it doesn't qualitatively account for individual play. So when I'm seeing Leivo playing like crap, why can't it be the case that Rielly and Hainsey are on the back end and preventing shot attempts against, and that Ennis is dangling while Leivo is watching? And that Kadri is getting the shutdown matchup against the other's team's top line and is maybe having his ass handed to him by McDavid or whomever? Why do I trust that number assigned to Leivo when all these other things can be happening?

One final little bit on some of the old school "intuitive" statistics that are extremely misleading. My favourite two are blocked shots and turnovers. One has been praised and the other vilified over the years but the old consensus on them is largely wrong. A blocked shot is a bad thing. Now, it's not the act of blocking the shot that's bad, it's that the other team had possession of the puck in your end and attempted a shot on net. At some point, someone made a bad play with the puck and gave up possession of it. For example, it can be as simple as a dump in (again, a play that is almost universally praised) that leads to a change of possession.

A turnover though, specifically an offensive zone turnover, aren't nearly as bad as they seem. If a turnover is made while trying to attempt to make a play (like a pass into a dangerous shooting area for example), that was a play with a chance of turning into a goal. That's a play worth trying over and over again because a significant amount of the time, you're going to generate a good shot off of it, and those lead to goals. The other part of that is the act of holding the puck in the NHL is a skill, full stop. The single hardest thing to do in that league is to hold possession of the puck. If you're good at that supremely difficult skill, you're going to turn the puck over a lot because you're going to have the puck a lot. If you're shit at holding/carrying the puck, you never have it to actually get a "turnover"...but of course the league doesn't consider a player willingly giving up possession (a dump in) as a turnover, only when a player is trying to make a play with it.

Not sure the direct relevance, but interesting nonetheless. What I would say to this though is how isn't it even a misnomer to call this "possession"? It would seem you could have the puck for 7 seconds and get a quick flurry of three shots on the goalie, and then the other team could be actually passing the puck back and forth and making nice plays that ultimately don't result in a shot attempt. You tend to see it happen frequently on PPs. So the team with the PP is moving the puck around in the offensive zone for 45 seconds, waiting to set up a perfect play that never comes, with no shot attempts at all, but literally "possessing" the puck the entire time, and then the dmen turn it over at the point, leading to a breakaway for say Brown who gets two quick shots on the goalie at the other end. All four Leafs just "outpossessed" the team with the PP? (I assume they count the possession stats just the same during PP and SH time).

Back