• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

He's doing a great job at the losing; they could win out their final 35 games 35-0-0 and still fall below last year's (Eastern Conf) playoff cut line.

This has been completely bizarre. The way Vegas played this, it seems like they just really wanted DeBoer and they didn't want to miss out on an opportunity to hire him before someone else did. This whole 'we felt like Gallant wasn't going to get us to the level we want to be at' is just made up nonsense. Come out and admit it Vegas, you saw someone you coveted as a coach suddenly become available and you jumped at a chance to hire him for fear that some other team would do the same thing.

No need to kick Gallant on his way out the door. Man up and say we saw a better coach suddenly become available so we hired him. Don't make this somehow about how Gallant can't get it done 2 seasons removed from taking a first year expansion team to the Cup finals. What a load of crap Vegas, you suck!

Gallant once called DeBoer a clown. I wonder how he felt about being replaced by him.

Last edited:
Gallant once called DeBoer a clown. I wonder how he felt about being replaced by him.

As did Paul Maurice ... and frankly, I'll take the word of Gallant and Mo over the opinion of Kelly freaking McCrimmon. What DeBoer is, is safe. You know what you're gonna get, and it's boring, risk averse and dull. GMs love that crap.

As did Paul Maurice ... and frankly, I'll take the word of Gallant and Mo over the opinion of Kelly freaking McCrimmon. What DeBoer is, is safe. You know what you're gonna get, and it's boring, risk averse and dull. GMs love that crap.

Mo called DeBoer a clown? I thought they were besties going back to their days in Windsor?

Mo called DeBoer a clown? I thought they were besties going back to their days in Windsor?
Nah ... they fell out when DeBoer was in Florida and have remained friendemies at best. IIRC, he called him something a darn sight worse than "clown" too.

It is clear you don't like DeBoer, but I wouldn't say he is boring. His style isn't the clutch and grab days with Florida and Jersey. I think he was one of the better coaches in the league with San Jose and those teams played a fast, puck possession game and scored. He will do well in Vegas as they have the talent to work with.

Yeah ... I don't like uninspired coaches who never win anything meaningful even when they have the best talent in the league. Weird, right?

Sorry ... that's probably harsh, but something about DeBoer has always rubbed me the wrong way. I think he's a fraud who is still the same clutch and grab, cautious, risk-averse guy he was in Florida and Jersey. His reputation just improved when a team with real skill decided to give him a shot.

Last edited:
Don't know why that would be, since they didn't have to watch that crap. We did here in the States and pretty much everybody who commentated on it hated that dumb nonsense.

Same reason Canadians always get their flannel knickers in a wad over what the USA is doing to "their game".

Meh ... I was around during the glow puck years. My Canadian friends mostly pointed and laughed. Which was fair, honestly.

Yes, as was I, I mean it was only 96-98. And I'm sure it was fair criticism; but hardly a crime against nature, as an honest-intentioned predecessor to now universally accepted broadcast augmentations like the 1st down line.

Not here to defend the glowing vulcanized rubber though, I commented only that, to Paulie's point, the heads up north explode at the drop of the hat where hockey topics and the US of A intersect. #DonCherry, n'est-ce pas?

Last edited:
Did the Whalers/Canes ever play in a glow puck game? My guess is no.
I watched most of my Whalers games on SportsChannel New England, but I do remember catching at least one or two glow puck games on Fox, because I remember the Robots beating each other up every time a team scored. The puck itself was more of a distraction than a help... especially when they'd do things like add a comet tail and turn it red on a one-timer.

Back