• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 NHL Draft Thread

Marcus Johansson was exactly the kind of guy who would have made perfect sense for Carolina and then he had to go jack up his short term value with an awesome post season and blow it :0)

Seriously, Jonasson went from the kind of skilled player who has been held back by injuries and bad fits that you could take a risk on to the annual list of guys who end up getting paid WAY too much because of recency bias. Carolina almost certainly won't swim in that pond. We saw rumors that Carolina might be interested in Brock Nelson, but he re-signed with the Islanders ... which might open the door for Anders Lee. And he's the kind of guy that might fit the bill as a bridge player for the Canes. Big effort guy who plays both ways, can play wing and center and is a strong leader. Probably a good fit on and off the ice, and his money won't be stupid big. I'd be kind of happy if Philly would go ahead and get Hughes off the table because somebody's going to over-pay that guy and I don't want it to be Carolina. He's fine, but anybody looking for offensive upside out of him is nuts. It isn't there. Speaking of things not being there ... he played like he didn't want to be there for the Jets after they got him at the deadline. Color me disinterested.

I don't see a lot of obvious fits for Carolina in the free agent market. I suspect that any forward they add will more likely come in a trade.

Marcus Johansson was exactly the kind of guy who would have made perfect sense for Carolina and then he had to go jack up his short term value with an awesome post season and blow it :0)

Seriously, Jonasson went from the kind of skilled player who has been held back by injuries and bad fits that you could take a risk on to the annual list of guys who end up getting paid WAY too much because of recency bias. Carolina almost certainly won't swim in that pond. We saw rumors that Carolina might be interested in Brock Nelson, but he re-signed with the Islanders ... which might open the door for Anders Lee. And he's the kind of guy that might fit the bill as a bridge player for the Canes. Big effort guy who plays both ways, can play wing and center and is a strong leader. Probably a good fit on and off the ice, and his money won't be stupid big. I'd be kind of happy if Philly would go ahead and get Hughes off the table because somebody's going to over-pay that guy and I don't want it to be Carolina. He's fine, but anybody looking for offensive upside out of him is nuts. It isn't there. Speaking of things not being there ... he played like he didn't want to be there for the Jets after they got him at the deadline. Color me disinterested.

I don't see a lot of obvious fits for Carolina in the free agent market. I suspect that any forward they add will more likely come in a trade.

I assume you meant Hayes and not Hughes. If Hughes could be bought, there's be a bidding war for sure. Just because he's 1/2 ranked.

I also thought Johansson would have been a nice pickup at the deadline, was dissapointed he signed with the B's. I remember when he left Washington I was hoping we could give him a try. But your correct, after his good p-offs, his asking price is going to put him out of our league. Maybe even the B's depending on the current contracts et all.

Personally, I am more for the Canes making a move for a center, someone between 23-26 years, who can be a 2a/b center. Someone with size, skill, physicality and good on face-offs. Oh right, 30 other teams are looking for the same thing. Ugh.

I assume you meant Hayes and not Hughes. If Hughes could be bought, there's be a bidding war for sure. Just because he's 1/2 ranked.

I also thought Johansson would have been a nice pickup at the deadline, was dissapointed he signed with the B's. I remember when he left Washington I was hoping we could give him a try. But your correct, after his good p-offs, his asking price is going to put him out of our league. Maybe even the B's depending on the current contracts et all.

Personally, I am more for the Canes making a move for a center, someone between 23-26 years, who can be a 2a/b center. Someone with size, skill, physicality and good on face-offs. Oh right, 30 other teams are looking for the same thing. Ugh.

A .. yeah. Hayes. Sorry

B .. Johansson didn't sign a new deal with Boston. He's going to be a free agent this summer, and they probably wont re-sign him because he'll be able to got a bigger role and more money elsewhere. They've got to sign Carlo and McAvoy this summer and have limited cap space. No way he gets a market deal from them.

C ... yeah. Everybody need a center like that. Which is one reason we got so much mileage out of a dud like Rask.

Look. I know pretty much every single Canes fan that follows this stuff thinks ... correctly ... that the Canes need to get a center this summer. Guess what? They might not actually be able to get a deal done. There's a ton of teams looking for the same thing and you can't just go out and do something long term dumb to fill one hole. Or, if they do end up acquiring a playmaking center, it might end being somebody obviously flawed ... or old ... or both. It's a tough market for experienced centers. We saw that fairly plainly at the deadline.

A .. yeah. Hayes. Sorry

B .. Johansson didn't sign a new deal with Boston. He's going to be a free agent this summer, and they probably wont re-sign him because he'll be able to got a bigger role and more money elsewhere. They've got to sign Carlo and McAvoy this summer and have limited cap space. No way he gets a market deal from them.

C ... yeah. Everybody need a center like that. Which is one reason we got so much mileage out of a dud like Rask.

Look. I know pretty much every single Canes fan that follows this stuff thinks ... correctly ... that the Canes need to get a center this summer. Guess what? They might not actually be able to get a deal done. There's a ton of teams looking for the same thing and you can't just go out and do something long term dumb to fill one hole. Or, if they do end up acquiring a playmaking center, it might end being somebody obviously flawed ... or old ... or both. It's a tough market for experienced centers. We saw that fairly plainly at the deadline.

Agreed. Frustrating as it is (that Canes perspective of well duh, go out and get a center)... I also agree we don't want to get stuck over paying someone with term who ends up not being a good fit. Either we get this done internally with more patience and development or we get some intermediate solution till... something better comes up

Last edited:
Lee would be a nice signing, but my concern is that the dude kind of disappeared in the playoffs.

Lee would be a nice signing, but my concern is that the dude kind of disappeared in the playoffs.

Agreed. Good dude, decent player, good leader ... and has been pretty much invisible in his only two NHL playoff rounds. Still. Quality guy.

Agreed. Good dude, decent player, good leader ... and has been pretty much invisible in his only two NHL playoff rounds. Still. Quality guy.

2 years, 13 games, 1 goal, 5 assists. Also regressed from 40 goals in 17-18 to 28 this season. Even with that, he’s a 50 point player. Brock Nelson averages 40 points and he just got 6/$36 million. Lee is gonna want a lot more than that.

2 years, 13 games, 1 goal, 5 assists. Also regressed from 40 goals in 17-18 to 28 this season. Even with that, he’s a 50 point player. Brock Nelson averages 40 points and he just got 6/$36 million. Lee is gonna want a lot more than that.

How about a little helping of context with those stats? Last year he was -25 on a team that finished 3 points out of last place in the division. This year, you have a defense-first coach and he still put up 28 goals and was +20. As for the playoffs, the majority of that lack of performance was on a team that couldn't find the back of the net as a whole. The other 5 games were in '14-'15 which was essentially his rookie year and he wasn't getting the ice time and did not even play the entire series (not sure if that was an injury or performance issue). Yup, he's gonna get paid.

How about a little helping of context with those stats? Last year he was -25 on a team that finished 3 points out of last place in the division. This year, you have a defense-first coach and he still put up 28 goals and was +20. As for the playoffs, the majority of that lack of performance was on a team that couldn't find the back of the net as a whole. The other 5 games were in '14-'15 which was essentially his rookie year and he wasn't getting the ice time and did not even play the entire series (not sure if that was an injury or performance issue). Yup, he's gonna get paid.

He’s still a 50 point player with 46 more goals than assists over his career. He’s gonna get overpaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad Anders Lee is going to be way too pricey because his willingness to park that huge body in front of the net on the PP all of the time sure would be useful for the Canes. He is what we would all love Gauthier to develop into, a massively big and strong forward with good hands who stations himself in front of the net on the PP.

Too bad Anders Lee is going to be way too pricey because his willingness to park that huge body in front of the net on the PP all of the time sure would be useful for the Canes. He is what we would all love Gauthier to develop into, a massively big and strong forward with good hands who stations himself in front of the net on the PP.

Which is precisely why a team like Carolina will pay for him. The Canes HAVE to upgrade the PP units and the most glaring hole is the one that Williams was valiantly trying to fill ... net front cleanup. Williams is OK at that stuff, but he's small for the job and ... well ... old. Nino is also OK at it, but the Canes need somebody who is better than OK.

I'd love to see an upgrade on the wing and continue the hard checking, fast big body theme. He's not there yet, but Gauthier sure checks many of those boxes and he seems to be trending up on the learning curve. He's also come alive in the playoffs-- 5 goals in 15 games (7 points) and his goal last night was a big body in front of the net. It'll be interesting to see how he is in camp and if he sticks.

I'd love to see an upgrade on the wing and continue the hard checking, fast big body theme. He's not there yet, but Gauthier sure checks many of those boxes and he seems to be trending up on the learning curve. He's also come alive in the playoffs-- 5 goals in 15 games (7 points) and his goal last night was a big body in front of the net. It'll be interesting to see how he is in camp and if he sticks.

Yeah ... I see that out of Gauthier in the playoff games I've watched, but as I noted in the Checkers thread, I also see him disappear for long stretches at even strength. I really have a better handle on the knocks on the guy after watching more of him this spring. He's got a big boy game for sure, but he's got a lot to work on as well. On the upside, he's got enough to learn that he's probably well served to play another season in Charlotte and the Canes can be patient with him.

I finally took some time to look at a bunch of mock drafts and draft rankings and it sure looks like if the Canes go looking for a center at 28 they are probably in or around the Conner McMichael, Ryan Suzuki or John Beecher territory. If they could find a way to move up a few spots to grab Spencer Knight that changes everything but if they stay at 28 it’s likely a very raw center a few years away from being NHL ready.

I have seen some mock drafts where somehow Spencer Knight fell all the way to our second-rounder opportunities.

However, I don't believe that's actually going to happen because I have also seen some sound reasoning that the Avalanche may take him at 16OA.

If so it would take trading up a long way with someone like Montreal from 28OA to 15OA to beat them to the prospect. Have no idea if something like that is even possible.

But I do get excited thinking about such things.

Wouldn't shock me at all to see Knight fall into the 2nd round. Every singe year the scouting types forget that actual pro clubs don't really draft goalies in the 1st round unless they are sold on a guy to a remarkable level. Knight could be the best goalie in the draft by 1,000 miles and still not go until the mid-30s.

At Select-A-Seat tonight they announced that there won’t be a draft party, because our pick is so late in the 1st round.

At Select-A-Seat tonight they announced that there won’t be a draft party, because our pick is so late in the 1st round.

I've never been to a draft party and so, not a big disappointment to me.

I went to get a feel for how things felt around the arena. Love the description of the new scoreboard-- the screen stretches from blue line to blue line, over 50 feet. Never heard how tall it is, but there will be a smaller screen underneath (close to current size) to help lower level. Not sure it wouldn't be stimulus overload for me. I wonder if the ingame production guys will know how to make the most of such a screen...

Not sure it wouldn't be stimulus overload for me. I wonder if the ingame production guys will know how to make the most of such a screen...

If they run Discover It card commercials or the Pasternak Dunkin' commercial, I'm gonna throw things at it.

When is select-a-seat for 22-game plans? I don't recall getting anything about it yet.

I've never been to a draft party and so, not a big disappointment to me.

I went to get a feel for how things felt around the arena. Love the description of the new scoreboard-- the screen stretches from blue line to blue line, over 50 feet. Never heard how tall it is, but there will be a smaller screen underneath (close to current size) to help lower level. Not sure it wouldn't be stimulus overload for me. I wonder if the ingame production guys will know how to make the most of such a screen...

The Jumbotron is going to be 25 feet tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back