• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Forgot one recent addition at Villa ... Mahmoud Trezeguet, a young Egyptian midfielder who looked sharp in the African Cup of Nations recently despite Egypt crashing out in the round of 16 on home soil. He's got promise, as do a lot of the guys that Villa have brought in. That's the one upside for me in Villa's spending spree. They went largely for either guys who had played in Smith's system already or young guys on the rise. No aging war horses, and no Championship level heroes ... which are the signings that generally get clubs into trouble both on the pitch and on the salary books.

Villa got their keeper and one would assume they're done spending for the window. Tom Heaton joins from Burnley, where he had lost the starting job but was still club captain. He's got a couple of years left in the tank, I'd think. Solid, fairly economical pick up at 8 million pounds. Villa's running total is 132 million spent.

I like the Heaton signing, I agree that he still has some life in his legs.

Arsenal sign wing Nicolas Pepe from Lille for a reported £80 million, payable in 5 installments. The Gunners continue their transfer tradition of signing players for positions that are already full to bursting. Apparently, they’re going to play a 1-4-5 formation this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Heaton signing, I agree that he still has some life in his legs.

Arsenal sign wing Nicolas Pepe from Lille for a reported £80 million, payable in 5 installments. The Gunners continue their transfer tradition of signing players for positions that are already full to bursting. Apparently, they’re going to play a 1-4-5 formation this season.

Yeah, Arsenal's summer recruitments rarely make sense to me, but this year has been particularly weird. They've got enough wingers and forwards to rotate a fresh set three times a week, yet they have no quality depth anywhere else on the field ... and half of what they've got doesn't really fit together in any logical fashion.

Yeah, Arsenal's summer recruitments rarely make sense to me, but this year has been particularly weird. They've got enough wingers and forwards to rotate a fresh set three times a week, yet they have no quality depth anywhere else on the field ... and half of what they've got doesn't really fit together in any logical fashion.

They cried poverty, only had a £40 million transfer budget. And they spent $34 million on a center back. But he’s only 18 and they immediately loaned him back to Saint-Etienne.

See ... I'm going to kind of miss having my favorite club down in the Championship. The summer run-ups were all very logical and fit into neat categories. Either you were gearing up for a run at promotion or just for survival and acted accordingly. In the Prem, very little makes sense and the amounts spent on obvious nonsense are staggering.

A few deals today.

Man U have agreed personal terms with Juve striker Mario Mandzukic. It’s either a swap for Romelu Lukaku’s long rumored move or a stand-alone deal for about £15 million. They’ve been chasing Paulo Dybala all summer and that’s still a possibility.

Brighton will reportedly sign Brentford striker Neil Maupay who scored 25 goals in the Championship last season.

Everton sign 19 year old Italy international Moise Kean from Juve for a reported €27.5 million with a possible €2.5 million in add-ons.

Simon Mignolet has left Liverpool for Club Bruges for a reporter £7 million. Liverpool will sign former West Ham keeper Adrian as a replacement.

Derby got a real bounce out the the "star in charge" experience last season, so ... next up is Rooney, I guess. Good luck with that. The guy's always seemed to be a bit of a potato.

Sky Sports in Italy reports that Spurs have agreed a €70 million fee with Juve for Paulo Dybala.

Sky Sports in Italy reports that Spurs have agreed a €70 million fee with Juve for Paulo Dybala.

Hmm ... Spurs, eh? What happened to that bid Man United is supposed to have been working on for nearly a month?

Hmm ... Spurs, eh? What happened to that bid Man United is supposed to have been working on for nearly a month?

They picked up Mandzukic instead and for a lot less money, only £15 million. And Dybala turned Man U down.

Last edited:
Laurent Koscielny, who has been conducting a strike of sorts all summer, is leaving Arsenal and headed back to France to join Bordeaux. Arsenal are openly auditioning center backs and may deploy a novel 1-7-2 formation this season.

They picked up Mandzukic instead and for a lot less money, only £15 million. And Dybala turned Man U down.

I actually found some reporting on this. Apparently Dybala wasn't that thrilled with Man United as a destination, but the bigger issue was that the company that holds his personal rights didn't want that move. Not sure they want him in London either, from the sound of things.

Carl Jenkinson leaves Arsenal for Nottingham Forest. He’s been at Arsenal since 2011 but between injuries and loan spells, only had 70 appearances for the Gunners.

Watford sign Danny Welbeck on a free. He had been released by Arsenal.

Bojan Krkic leaves Stoke for Montreal Impact of MLS

L’Equipe reports that Arsenal have made an offer for David Luiz. They also reported that Arsenal were in on Coutinho yesterday, so take that with a grain or several of salt.

Window closes today for Premier and Championship clubs. The window closing in France, Germany and Spain is 9/2, Italy is 8/23.

Dybala to Spurs is off, at least for now, they couldn’t agree personal terms.

Arsenal have 2 players in London for medicals. David Luiz from Chelsea for a reported £8 million and Kieran Tierney from Celtic for £25 million, payable in 5 installments (Sorry Jeff).

Romelu Lukaku is off to Inter. Mandzukic was supposed to replace him but that deal isn’t complete despite reports to the contrary.

Last edited:
Midfielder Giovani Lo Celso from Real Betis to Spurs for about £65 million. He’s having a
Medical. They’re still chasing Ryan Sessegnon at Fulham for a reported £25 million.

Danny Drinkwwter from Chelsea to Burnley on a season long loan.

Cameron Carter-Vickers from Spurs to Stoke on a season long loan. Since signing for Spurs in 2016, he’s made no league appearances and 2 in the League Cup.

Arsenal will send Eddie Nketiah our on loan, probably to Leeds. He had a terrific summer but is stuck behind Aubamyang and Lacazette.

It may be back to the future for Andy Carroll. Released by West Ham, the Sun reports he’s headed to Newcastle. They’ve also signed defender Emil Krafth from Amiens in Ligue 1

Back