• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 Canes Offseason Thread

NC pro tennis guy John Isner got a whalers jersey, He has done the siren at least once

John Isner, huge Caniac, figuratively and literally. Maybe the most visible athlete from another sport who is. I think he’s been on Tripp’s podcast more than once.

Huge Caniac is correct. That dude is TALL ... and really nice. I met him at a fundraiser a few years ago and he's delightful

Its has to cost a fortune to build out the capability of creating an NHL game ready ice surface in the middle of a stadium. That cost is fully covered when you pack in 40k+ fans and charge them high prices to watch the outdoor game.

Put 5k fans spread all around CF for social distancing? I would like to see the accounting estimates of how many fans they need and at what price point to make any money holding outdoor games at CF.

Outdoor game would not make sense with small crowd. Could be in April or maybe they are thinking 21-22 season after the vaccine is widely used, If you set it up you might as well look at using it for more than 1 game.

Who knows? It's all about the balance sheet issues. No way you would host an outdoor game that was guaranteed to cost even more money that one in the building. If TV or the league are picking up the cost of the ice surface equipment and the like, maybe the extra bodies makes a difference. They definitely get a bigger gameday check from the league for national broadcast games, so that's a factor as well. Again, who freaking knows with this stuff any more?

Huge Caniac is correct. That dude is TALL ... and really nice. I met him at a fundraiser a few years ago and he's delightful

That seems to be a pretty universal comment about him. I just wish he could break through at least once at a major. He's only made the semis once, at Wimbledon and 2 US Open quarters.

If you have an ESPN+ subscription, Greg Wyshynski has an article on Erik Cole’s post hockey life. He was all set to join the scouting staff a few years ago, had been working unofficially with Ron Francis. But then Francis got whacked and that opportunity disappeared. He’s an investor in a company called OXIGEN that has Kevin Love and Steph Curry among its backers and endorsers. Cole has a son at Ravenscroft and once he figures out what his hockey future is, Cole wants to do something in the game. I know he really doesn’t have a relationship with Waddell, but I can’t imagine the team would turn him down if he expressed an interest in getting involved.

Cole is a smart, capable guy. If Carolina can't find something for him to do, then it's their loss. You don't go wrong having sharp guys like Erik Cole around.

looks like training camp is 10 days so I guess guys might start showing up now to get a head start. are there restrictions on coming in from Europe ? I think there are some.

latest regrouping rumor

Bos-Buf-NJ-NYI-NYR-Pha-Pgh-Was

Car-CBJ-Det-Chi-Fla-Min-Nas-TB

Ana-Ari-Col-Dal-LA-SJ-STL-VGK

Canadian Teams

Rewatching Canes/Caps 2019 First Round game 7 on NHL Network and it reminds me how revolting McPlankton is.

Rewatching Canes/Caps 2019 First Round game 7 on NHL Network and it reminds me how revolting McPlankton is.
Yeah. It's easier to tune him out during the live showing, but when you watch a replay it gets a lot tougher. He's truly insufferable.

their old practice rink was in really bad shape. So bad the Canes basically told other teams it did not exist. I believe they sent teams to another nearby rink if they wanted to practice here and PNC was booked . For some odd reason the other rink was built with olympic size ice.

Canes new practice rink has hot tub room with TVs . :)

For those who haven’t seen, Sara Civian has an updated article on her predicted expansion protections. She casually dropped that tidbit into the article. The original design of the hot tub room didn’t have a TV. A certain defenseman pointed to a wall and suggested that it would be a great spot for a TV. He was joking but Dundon changed the plans. So now the room has ”some pretty nice” TVs.

Back