• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22 Premiere League Thread

On cue, Everton take out Chelsea at Goodison. Pickford saved their season.
And took one dead in the face from 3 feet in the process. That was ... ouch. And I wouldn't call them saved just yet. They still need to convert another game in hand to pass Burnley and Leeds and then hold serve all the way to the end. And they've still got Arsenal and Leicester on their dance card ... and Foxes didn't like how their last match with Everton went down. They'll be salty. It's gonna be TIGHT

And took one dead in the face from 3 feet in the process. That was ... ouch. And I wouldn't call them saved just yet. They still need to convert another game in hand to pass Burnley and Leeds and then hold serve all the way to the end. And they've still got Arsenal and Leicester on their dance card ... and Foxes didn't like how their last match with Everton went down. They'll be salty. It's gonna be TIGHT
Yeah, it’s gonna come down to the wire. And the last match at the Emirates might be for Arsenal to make the Champions League. Burnley has a home and home with Villa, at Spurs and home to Newcastle. Leeds has Arsenal and Chelsea back to back then Brighton and Brentford.

The FA is investigating Richarlison after he threw a flare that had landed on the fired after he scored back into the stands.

Bournemouth grabs the other automatic promotion spot, beating Nottingham Forest. Forest and Huddersfield are in the playoffs, there is a dogfight for the last 2 spots. Sheffield United and Luton are on 72 points, Middlesbrough and Millwall have a chance, at 70 and 69 points, respectively. Sheffield has Fulham at home, Luton has Reading at home, Boro is at Preston and Millwall is at Bournemouth.

Sheffield United and Luton kept their spots in the playoffs, so it will be Huddersfield v. Luton and Nottingham Forest v. Sheffield United starting on Friday. Luton hasn’t been in the Premier League since being relegated after the 1995-96 season, Forest was relegated after the 1998-99 season.

In League One, Wigan and Rotherham got the automatic promotion spots, Wycombe will play Sunderland for the other spot after they beat MK Dons and Sheffield Wednesday, respectively in the semifinals. Gillingham, Doncaster, Wimbledon and Crewe were relegated.

In League Two, Forest Green, Exeter and Bristol Rovers got the automatic promotion spot. Bristol needed to overcome a 7 goal differential and got it, beating Scunthorpe 7-0 in the last match of the season. Northampton will play Mansfield and Port Vale plays Swindon in the semifinals. Oldham and Scunthorpe were relegated. Oldham is the first club that played in the Premier League to be relegated out of the Football League.

Coutinho to Villa on a permanent basis is a confirmed deal and for about half of what the buy option was in the initial loan deal and a 70% pay cut to his current contract. Literally the only thing about all of this that doesn't have me dancing is that Buendia is really good and deserves to start and thus far, they have not been able to be on the field at the same time well and we've mostly just seen Buendia come on to replace Coutinho as a like for like swap. I hope we can figure out a way to play a formation where both can be effective, but Villa seem to have the rare problem of having too many midfielders that all deserve to play.

Coutinho to Villa on a permanent basis is a confirmed deal and for about half of what the buy option was in the initial loan deal and a 70% pay cut to his current contract. Literally the only thing about all of this that doesn't have me dancing is that Buendia is really good and deserves to start and thus far, they have not been able to be on the field at the same time well and we've mostly just seen Buendia come on to replace Coutinho as a like for like swap. I hope we can figure out a way to play a formation where both can be effective, but Villa seem to have the rare problem of having too many midfielders that all deserve to play.
I'm with you. Buendia is finally starting to find some traction and it ends up only being a pinch hitter role. That said, there's a way to use both of them .... IF you have a decent lockdown No. 8 and two mobile CBs you can trust. Currently that is nowhere near the case.

Relegation run-in looks to be ROUGH from here out. Leeds did exactly nothing in that run of games against top teams, but have two very winnable games left. Burnley have a game in hand, but looked dead in the water against Villa last weekend, and have to face Tottenham (with a lot on the line) and that same Villa side in their next two before finishing against Newcastle. Meanwhile, Everton continue to stubbornly refuse to really help themselves ... following up improbably wins over Chelsea and Leicester with a lifeless 0-0 draw with dead ducks Watford. Brentford and Palace look doable, but they close with Arsenal. The way their season has gone, the Toffees are as likely to drop the first two and win the third as anything else. The last relegation slot could well come down to selection Sunday ... provided Leeds can get 3 points against Brighton this weekend.

Everton had a chance to ensure survival but lost to Brentford at home, 3-2. They finished with 9 men, losing Branthwaite in the 18th minute, shortly after going up 1-0, and Rondon in the 88th minute, after 4 minutes on the pitch, for a two-footed tackle. They have another chance on Thursday, a win against Palace keeps them up. Burnley lost to Spurs on a VAR gifted penalty, so they’ll come down to Sunday, even with a win at Villa on Thursday. Leeds picked up a point in a 1-1 draw with Brighton to stay a point ahead of Burnley.

See my previous comment about Everton stubbornly refusing to help themselves. Palace played a surprisingly frisky game against Villa over the weekend, and don't look in the mood to pad anyone else's point totals.

Last day of the season is shaping up to be pretty entertaining.
Need Norwich to go out in a blaze of glory and my Gunners to send Everton down.

It will be interesting to see what NBC does with TV coverage. Before Peacock, all matches on the last day were on one of their cable channels. Now? Let’s see if any are behind the paywall.

Need Norwich to go out in a blaze of glory and my Gunners to send Everton down.

It will be interesting to see what NBC does with TV coverage. Before Peacock, all matches on the last day were on one of their cable channels. Now? Let’s see if any are behind the paywall.
Last year I set up streaming all 10 at the same time. If I'm seeing the station ID's right, 5 of them were on Peacock... and this year they're 1 channel lighter without NBCSN.

1652753779697.png

Hopefully Liverpool can get wins they need on Tuesday and Sunday….. and a huge favour done by Steven Gerrard and Aston Villa on Sunday. The Quad needs to stay alive.

Yeah ... last season NBC had a fair number of Selection Sunday games on the streaming service. This will be the same, I'd guess.

And Liverpool fans shouldn't hold out too much hope for help from Villa. They've got a late Thursday game against Burnley and it's Burnley's match in hand in their relegation battle. That's gonna require some effort and turning around for a meaningless (for them) trip to Manchester on the Sunday will be a heck of a slog. Stevie G might care and a couple of the lads might care about Liverpool's chances, but the majority of them will just be trying not to let City hang 7 or 8 on them.

Nottingham Forest advance to Wembley. Sheffield won the 2nd leg to even the tie 3-3, no goals in extra time so it went to penalties. The Forest keeper saved 3 penalties.

Huddersfield won the other semifinal so they’ll play on May 29.

Everton survives. They overcame a 2-0 halftime deficit to Crystal Palace and roared back with 3 in the 2nd half to win it and get to 39 points.

So it’s down to Burnley and Leeds. Burnley hosts Newcastle, Leeds visits Brentford. With an inferior goal differential, Leeds must better Burnley’s result to stay up.

Last edited:
C'mon Leeds... get it done! So much rather watch that club in the PL next season than Burnley. As a neutral, watching Burnley is worse than watching paint dry. It's not even that I dislike them, which would make hate-watching an option, I just hate watching them.

Back