• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Pesce has been part of the core but he can command more $$ and term than he’s likely to be able to deliver on. If he wants to chase the max dollars and term then he probably won’t get that here. Not because of cheapness but because we’re better off getting the most value per salary dollar that we can. It’s always a bad move to overpay someone based on the past.
Yet, the Canes don’t pay based on potential, either. Good on them for letting Hanafin go. Not sure I feel the same way about Lindholm now, but at the time I was OK with it because of Bill Peters and Lindholm’s posturing. How much you wanna bet we will see him in the east and likely in a Bruins uní?
Pesce is a valuable because he is good shut down d-man and can easily slide into a top pairing. I like his style of play. But he’s on the last year of a contract and has New representation. If the Canes don’t trade him, does he become our playoff rental?

It's going to be tough entering the season with Pesce unsigned. Sure forgoing trading Pesce gives us one of the deepest Ds in modern NHL history. TDA would be our 7th Dman.

Is that a smart way to go, playing it all out with the players we have and deal with the pending UFAs after the season, potentionally losing all of them for nothing? I can't see the Canes going that route, but if there is any team to buck the trend, it's us.

Maybe Cmal but it doesn’t seem like we’ve done enough to shore up the forwards. And we probably didn’t need to do two moves on D if we’re also standing pat on Skeji and Pesce. Seems like they’re part way through a plan. It also seems that Aho needed to happen first.

I can see Skeji or Pesce is getting extended and the other traded for forward help

How big is the core though? Aho, Svech, Slavin (although we’ll see how his negotiations go next summer), who else? I would have considered Pesce as part of the core but with the way negotiations have gone, it doesn’t look like it. Necas? Have to see next summer, if he has another season like last. Jarvis?
Kotkaniemi..

Sens sign Tarasenko for $5 mil. Donnie Waddle says we couldn't afford him. OK, not without moving somebody out and that is different for trading for forward power scoring, but I don't have high confidence on Nylander. I'd be delighted beyond anything but...

Lindholm???

The word "core" is too often a red herring. It means too many different things to too many people to be useful in this kind of detailed conversation. As a shorthand it's probably useful but only in the most casual sense. For the context of how Carolina structures their cap payouts, it's a lot more useful to think in terms of long term commitments and short term commitments. Even if a player is absolutely crucial to the current lineup, if he's got one year left on his deal, then he's in play. In play ... not on the trade block, not "must sign" ... just in play. You've got to do something with that guy, the consequences of which will vary.

Right now you could absolutely define your core as anybody who has a contract that runs past 2024-25. And you'd be right. And wrong. So, I chose not to use the word very often.

Sens sign Tarasenko for $5 mil. Donnie Waddle says we couldn't afford him. OK, not without moving somebody out and that is different for trading for forward power scoring, but I don't have high confidence on Nylander. I'd be delighted beyond anything but...

Lindholm???
I mean, he's not wrong. Without giving away a contract for no NHL return, Carolina's out of cap space. Doesn't mean they're done, but from here it's trickier for sure. And I fail to see why you'd have been happier to get the current model Tarasenko than Nylander, but ... prolly irrelevant anyway.

Just wondering how the Canes were in on Tarasanko and Karlsson if we are out of cap space?? We were supposedly “in” on them even picking up Bunting and Orlav. I think Waddell’s out of cap space signals Pesce is here next season and becomes our “acquisition” going into the playoffs.

Just wondering how the Canes were in on Tarasanko and Karlsson if we are out of cap space?? We were supposedly “in” on them even picking up Bunting and Orlav. I think Waddell’s out of cap space signals Pesce is here next season and becomes our “acquisition” going into the playoffs.
Well ... again, it doesn't matter really because we have no idea how "in" they were on Tarasenko. He's the only one that would have been a problem because it would have been fresh cap hit. Karlsson would have absolutely cost us some NHL players going the other way and we have no idea how much Carolina wanted or needed San Jose to retain. It never got done for the Canes or the Pens, so let's guess half? There's prolly a reason that didn't happen.

And I keep saying this ... if they DO trade Pesce, they can do so as long as they keep it close to cap neutral. This off season has been absolutely wild for some reason. Maybe just because there were so many "maybes" on the table. I dunno, but everything doesn't have to happen all at once or even during the summer. Maybe a lot of online Canes fans just want something like a set roster so they can ... what? Crow? Complain? I've never been sure what the hot rush is for.

I mean, he's not wrong. Without giving away a contract for no NHL return, Carolina's out of cap space. Doesn't mean the4 y're done, but from here it's trickier for sure. And I fail to see why you'd have been happier to get the current model Tarasenko than Nylander, but ... prolly irrelevant anyway.
I was NOT preferring Tarasenko over Nylander, no way. It's just that if Nylander comes to naught then Vlad might be better than zero - and yes there some other forwards who could..., could be better than zero or... busts. My post was after midnight and I musta been tired.

The reference to signing a UFA as opposed to a trade w/ players is - as all of you know: in a trade you hopefully get each side OK with players each way; to sign a UFA ya gotta have th' cap space $$ or make it by onloading somebodys...

I WANT NYLANDER!!! but if the Leafs hang on for another year and unload others... how about Lindholm as a 'consolation'? Willy Nylay could well be the difference between the Cup and another pretty good year. Leafs fans think so too.

I was NOT preferring Tarasenko over Nylander, no way. It's just that if Nylander comes to naught then Vlad might be better than zero - and yes there some other forwards who could..., could be better than zero or... busts. My post was after midnight and I musta been tired.

The reference to signing a UFA as opposed to a trade w/ players is - as all of you know: in a trade you hopefully get each side OK with players each way; to sign a UFA ya gotta have th' cap space $$ or make it by onloading somebodys...

I WANT NYLANDER!!! but if the Leafs hang on for another year and unload others... how about Lindholm as a 'consolation'? Willy Nylay could well be the difference between the Cup and another pretty good year. Leafs fans think so too.
Nylander would be a VERY complicated trade, and I'm not sure Calgary is done trying to convince Lindy to stick around. I think maybe not getting hopes up is probably wise in both cases.

I'm less convinced by the inevitability of success, but I agree with the sentiment. We've long ago reached the point that, if I don't understand what the Canes are doing with the roster I just figure it's a me problem. I might complain, but it's pretty half-hearted at this point.

We still are not 100% error free ($4 million AAV x 4 years for Jake Gardiner with the wonky back?) but clearly there is a plan, we generally stick to the plan, and make smart decisions on how to invest our player dollars. I haven't seen any pundits questioning the Canes recent offseasons and there doesn't seem to be 'dumpster fire' comparisons anymore.

If you like having a winning team iced every season, the Dundon/Waddell/Tulsky Canes are for you

BUT

If you tend to grow attached to specific 'average/good' players, the Canes are going to run you through the wringer, because once a 'good player' reaches a point in their career where their salary expectations exceed the Canes model of value, their chances of being retained go down significantly. Canes don't play, proven time and time again.

I don't know how much Tulsky gets paid, but it doesn't work this well without a fantastic analytics department.

Lord knows every time Tulsky’s name gets mentioned for a GM position, I start to get worried. This team’s front office and brain trust success depends a lot on what Tulsky says.

I get the shakes. GMDW turns 65 in a couple of weeks. Time for him to step away from hockey ops and just be President and let Tulsky take over.
I’m surprised this has not happened already…Tulsky has already interviewed for at least 2-3 open jobs the past two offseasons around the league, if he is the straw that stirs the drink just make the move!

I’m surprised this has not happened already…Tulsky has already interviewed for at least 2-3 open jobs the past two offseasons around the league, if he is the straw that stirs the drink just make the move!
Part of this may be due to the collaborative management system that Dundon's team promotes. I too am worried about losing Tlusty (and surprised it hasn't happened yet), but there's more to General Management than analytics and perhaps that's where DW excels. Maybe it's time for a "two in the box" approach to GM leadership - although I don't think that's worked anywhere in the business world.

Part of this may be due to the collaborative management system that Dundon's team promotes. I too am worried about losing Tlusty (and surprised it hasn't happened yet), but there's more to General Management than analytics and perhaps that's where DW excels. Maybe it's time for a "two in the box" approach to GM leadership - although I don't think that's worked anywhere in the business world.

Sorry bruh, but we lost Tlusty back in 2015. I'm still not over it! 😭

Back