• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

GGpX

The European leagues are about to start, the Ivan Hlinka tournament just wrapped up, it's time to start looking at the upcoming draft.

As I'm writing this, the top-end of this draft is almost exclusively forwards, with most of the top players being centers. It is very, very top-heavy.

Corey Pronman's top-23 (as of July 11th 2022): https://theathletic.com/3380742/2022/07/11/2023-nhl-draft-ranking/
Scott Wheeler's pre-season rankings: https://theathletic.com/3470428/2022/08/08/top-nhl-prospects-draft/

It's always interesting to look at the pre-season rankings and then compare to the final rankings at the end of the year.

Michkov is so interesting. What do you think happens with him?
If his situation wasn't so weird, probable #2 pick and comfortably taken before everyone not named Bedard.

I do think he'll slip, though.

If his situation wasn't so weird, probable #2 pick and comfortably taken before everyone not named Bedard.

All things being equal he may slip out of the top 10 in this deep draft

3 more years committed to the KHL

How far though... Imagine getting bedard AND Michkov.

All things being equal he may slip out of the top 10 in this deep draft

3 more years committed to the KHL
How many teams have multiple first round picks?

Imagine the panthers pick bring at 15.... Chariot for michkov.

How many teams have multiple first round picks?

Imagine the panthers pick bring at 15.... Chariot for michkov.

This draft with some luck can nearly complete the rebuild for our potential core

If most of the following develop to expectations we are set

Top 6

Nick , CC , Slaf, Mesar , Dach , Ferrel , Roy ..... 2 firsts in 2023 ( assuming we go both F and Florida slips a bit )

Top 4 D

Mailoux , Harris, Barron, Guhle , Hutson

Role players / depth

Beck, Kidney , Tuch, Heineman ....etc

Goalies and depth players are easy to find in UFA that are good enough

Our D will still need a top gun/workhorse

Agreed , Guhle could be that McDonough big minute defensive horse but we are missing that 1D stud

If this regime can develop a high end top 4 with a solid 3rd pair it might be enough

The Habs potential base to work hasnt been this good in many years

There aren't many studs out there though. Hedman or Makar types are super rare. You have to get somewhat lucky as well.

The good news is you do not need first overall to get that.

The bad news is that we also need a goalie.

I like our pipeline in net, but yeah, there are no sure things.

Back