• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2026-27 NHL Miscellaneous Thread

Sounds like the Leafs and Columbus are close to trade involving Knies and Marchenko swapping clubs.

As much as Marchenko seems to have the Canes number, I would much rather have Knies, both in the short and long term. Especially if I have to extend Marchenko at whatever the ridiculous AAV number is going to be ($10-14 million AAV?)
 
Toronto has seemed hot to move Knies for a while now. Honestly, he's signed to a value deal until 2031 so I don't get it. But then again, it's the Leafs. So ...

Marchenko would be a good return for him at least. Given his contract status it's going to cost them to find out though. Again, it's the Leafs so ...
 
So, Toronto bailed on Andrei before he played a real game for them? Interesting. I heard good things about his camp with them too.

Bottom line, that's just Marchenko for Kneis with a lot of depth guys and spare parts on both sides. Kneis is on a 5 year deal at $7.75 million AAV, while Marchenko is now playing on a deal worth $12.5 mil for 6 years. I mean, Kneis is probably a 35-ish goals max kind of winger, while Marchenko's ceiling FEELS higher than that ... but he's never actually scored more than 31 goals and has been on similar usage for the last two seasons. I dunno about this one for Toronto, especially since they're stuck with Elvis' contract now. I guess they can LTIR him since he's hurt, but they already have two NHL keepers (and a solid prospect) and were spending over $10 mil on the position this season.
 
Bear in mind for you folks that don’t follow the Leafs closely that Knies was essentially all they had in terms of making a big impact trade like the one they made today. Knies certainly was an affordable power winger that has produced but the rumblings out of Toronto suggest one of their higher ups Humza Teherany along with the analytics gurus were sour on Knies for whatever reason. For two different GM’s (Trev and Chayka) to want to move off the player suggests that the higher up’s or someone wanted him gone.
 
Sounds like Detroit is having as much luck with Edvinsson as the Canes are with Nikishin. He went back to Sweden.
 
From what I saw, the club basically had no contact with him for better than a month after he got his qualifying offer. Not sure he ever even came back to the US this summer. Without a contract, there was little point. That one is on the Wings, IMO.
 
From what I saw, the club basically had no contact with him for better than a month after he got his qualifying offer. Not sure he ever even came back to the US this summer. Without a contract, there was little point. That one is on the Wings, IMO.
I thought he was in camp for the Wings on his own accord without a contract?
 
Back
Top