• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

giphy.gif

Until he has more goals than 99, hard to say he is greatest goal scorer. I also am of the view Bossy was better. Bossy didn't score 40% of his goals hanging on outside on a power play waiting for a one timer.

I'm partial to Bossy as well but it's hard to deny the outer dominance of goals scored by Ovechkin in his era. Ovi leads the league in goals 7 times, likely 8 at the end of this season. Nobody else did that. Of course Gretzky, Bossy and Mario had the disadvantage of competing against each other.

It's hard to compare eras though.

I'm partial to Bossy as well but it's hard to deny the outer dominance of goals scored by Ovechkin in his era. Ovi leads the league in goals 7 times, likely 8 at the end of this season. Nobody else did that. Of course Gretzky, Bossy and Mario had the disadvantage of competing against each other.

It's hard to compare eras though.

It is.

Bossy had more difficult competition, and iirc scored 50 nine straight times. He was also responsible defensively. 8 doesn't even know the defensive zone exists. I will give 8 this much, he is the best perimeter guy on the power play of all time. No one gets as open on the off wing as he does and his one timers rarely if ever miss.

It is.

Bossy had more difficult competition, and iirc scored 50 nine straight times. He was also responsible defensively. 8 doesn't even know the defensive zone exists. I will give 8 this much, he is the best perimeter guy on the power play of all time. No one gets as open on the off wing as he does and his one timers rarely if ever miss.

Different styles of scorer, Bossy was a pure sniper, never shot for less than 20% until his last season, rarely reached 300 shots per season. Ovechkin is a volume shooter, Never shot less than 300 shots per season, and is often in the high 300 and above, but his shooting is around 12-13%. Of course goalies are better but guys like Laine and Stamkos shoots in the 16-18%.

Ovechkin is also more reliant on the PP, scoring 37% of his goals there, compared to 31% for Bossy and an insane 21% for Gretzky (Oilers years only). In fact Gretzky is the only player, along with Brett Hull to have scored over 50 even strength goals in a season, and he has done it 3 times, including 68 even strength goals in 1981-82. That famous year when he decided to shoot more, he shot 370 times at an accuracy of 24.9%!!!! That's just crazy.

Different styles of scorer, Bossy was a pure sniper, never shot for less than 20% until his last season, rarely reached 300 shots per season. Ovechkin is a volume shooter, Never shot less than 300 shots per season, and is often in the high 300 and above, but his shooting is around 12-13%. Of course goalies are better but guys like Laine and Stamkos shoots in the 16-18%.

Ovechkin is also more reliant on the PP, scoring 37% of his goals there, compared to 31% for Bossy and an insane 21% for Gretzky (Oilers years only). In fact Gretzky is the only player, along with Brett Hull to have scored over 50 even strength goals in a season, and he has done it 3 times, including 68 even strength goals in 1981-82. That famous year when he decided to shoot more, he shot 370 times at an accuracy of 24.9%!!!! That's just crazy.

Domi like numbers!

Ovy would have broken Wayne`s goal record .

Ovy would have broken Wayne`s goal record .

Not sure about that.

Back then, a player could be blanketed, slashed, hooked and physically mauled. Now if you put a stick on a star, it is two minutes in the box.

No matter how could you think 8 is, I highly doubt he would have scored 92+ at any time in the 1980s. 92 is just an astronomical number.

Not sure, equipment would have been different too but I could pictured Ovy getting at least 80 goals

Referring to his total career goals . He is a physical freak that can play in any era .

A rare player that can retire in his prime without a significant drop off in play for 15+ years .

If he scores 50 in this era of great goaltending , I could easily see a couple of hundred extra goals playing in the 80`s

Referring to his total career goals . He is a physical freak that can play in any era .

A rare player that can retire in his prime without a significant drop off in play for 15+ years .

If he scores 50 in this era of great goaltending , I could easily see a couple of hundred extra goals playing in the 80`s
Career totals I agree

Yeah, there's no reason to think that Ovie wouldn't have been dominant in any era.

Back