• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes sold.

One of the franchises greatest days, not as much for them, but for how the team will be viewed by the rest of the league.

A bit from an nhl.com article that I hadn't heard yet in all the coverage:

He then told the story of how he almost walked away from the sale when Karmanos, "wasn't OK with my price." The problem for Dundon was they'd begun talking during training camp, and by that point, he was emotionally hooked.

"I'd been watching the team, and now I'm invested," Dundon said. "And now I'm done, it's over. I'm irrelevant, and I can't do what I want to do with the organization, so I called him back, groveling. That's how we came to our deal.

"So I've already sort of proven that I'll make an irrational financial decision if it means we can win."

PK, the hard-ass negotiator, right to the end, LOL... The "wait, what did he just say?" quote for Dundon is that buying the team was an irrational financial decision.

Last edited:
Dundon: "So I've already sort of proven that I'll make an irrational financial decision if it means we can win."

Spoken like a man who has a lot of time and money on his hands. Let's be irrational, shall we?

Everyone will be going after Tavares.

Because of that I'm expecting the Isles to throw him an almost max deal.

You'd think the players would feel a sense of excitement about the changes.

Oh, I think you can go back to that Toronto/Nashville trip that Dundon took with the team and mark their level of excitement. They might have played a couple of eggs in the meantime, but in general they've played MUCH more energized, purposeful hockey since then.

Thing is ... the team isn't all that great so it's not like waking up a sleeping giant or anything. Energize and excite the Penguins and they probably storm up the standings to top 3 in the East. Do the same with the Canes and they end up fighting for the last playoff slot.

Dundon touched on something this week, regarding this team not having a face of the franchise, a superstar. He's right. I hope he addresses this in some way. Of course everyone is eyeballing Tavares. But short of winning the draft lottery, there arent many options to get a big time player.

Dundon touched on something this week, regarding this team not having a face of the franchise, a superstar. He's right. I hope he addresses this in some way. Of course everyone is eyeballing Tavares. But short of winning the draft lottery, there arent many options to get a big time player.

True, but it's not like franchise players don't ever get traded ... it happens. You've got to be willing to sacrifice a generation of your youth development, but it happens.

From afar I am super excited about everything I see and read about Dundon. He is bringing a much needed breath of fresh air to Raleigh, and apparently a nice bank account to match!! Can't wait to see what happens the rest of this year, and more importantly what happens this off-season. There are some splashes to be made such as Tavares or also a deal to be made with a Toronto or another team stocked with younger stars headed into cap trouble. Edmonton is a good warning sign for these teams and Carolina is well positioned to acquire some high end talent or a new face of the franchise.

For those that like to dream in Carolina -- http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22025032/nhl-case-toronto-maple-leafs-trading-auston-matthews

Second, in case you didn't receive it in your email directly, make sure to read "A letter from Tom," which the Canes also posted online at http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/294865050/binary-file/file.pdf. It's hard to not be excited after reading that.

From the letter
As I spoke to people from across the NHL, they all identified that core of young players, the head coach and the general manager as major assets.

Seems a bit like cool-aid drinking. Yes, there is some good in all 3, but calling them "major assets" is bit of a stretch a the very least and arguably unsupported by the facts. Hope this guy can see through some of the BS being shoveled by guys hoping to keep their jobs. Just sayin'.

Seems a bit like cool-aid drinking. Yes, there is some good in all 3, but calling them "major assets" is bit of a stretch a the very least and arguably unsupported by the facts. Hope this guy can see through some of the BS being shoveled by guys hoping to keep their jobs. Just sayin'.

The young core, yes. The rest of that comment is horse crap. Ronnie MIGHT be an asset IF he had some resources. Up to now he's proven nothing other than general competence. That's nobody's idea of a "major asset." Our coach? God help us.

The young core, yes. The rest of that comment is horse crap. Ronnie MIGHT be an asset IF he had some resources. Up to now he's proven nothing other than general competence. That's nobody's idea of a "major asset." Our coach? God help us.

Had they taken care of business Friday night and won yesterday, we'd still be riding the wave of excitement from the new ownership on Friday, and it would be hard to say it's time for a coaching change... RF does have a lot to do with the young core. At the same time our goalie situation is a mess. If Aho is out for any length of time, we're done without someone from outside coming in immediately to add to what we have. No 20 sucks most of the danger out of our PP just like the last 63 minutes of on ice play have sucked the excitement out of the fanbase... I will feel much better once we hear something about Aho.

I have a hard time seeing a scenario where they change coaches at this point. Who would/should Dundon rely on to help him with that evaluation at this stage, or even the process of evaluating what is wrong with the team? Who would we pick - maybe he reads this board. Maybe the coaching is hurting our Darling?

The past two games I've seen Tony McDonald and his staff in the building. Not sure what amateur scouts are doing at pro games when the OHL and other leagues are still in full swing. Change in ownership bringing everyone together? I hope that unit among everything else is getting a look-see because our drafting and player development is still lacking.

scouts could be getting together with the coaches because of the week off , and its not related to the new owner, just worked out that way.

I don't think taking a few days away from the road scouting in a 6 month season is really an issue to be concerned about.

BTW Dundon has 5 kids but I don't know how many are boys vs. girls since most of them have names I've not seen before. :smile(21):

Had they taken care of business Friday night and won yesterday, we'd still be riding the wave of excitement from the new ownership on Friday, and it would be hard to say it's time for a coaching change... RF does have a lot to do with the young core. At the same time our goalie situation is a mess. If Aho is out for any length of time, we're done without someone from outside coming in immediately to add to what we have. No 20 sucks most of the danger out of our PP just like the last 63 minutes of on ice play have sucked the excitement out of the fanbase... I will feel much better once we hear something about Aho.

I have a hard time seeing a scenario where they change coaches at this point. Who would/should Dundon rely on to help him with that evaluation at this stage, or even the process of evaluating what is wrong with the team? Who would we pick - maybe he reads this board. Maybe the coaching is hurting our Darling?

I'm not saying we're going to see a coaching change in the short term, but I fail to see how anybody with any integrity would watch our team closely and think we're well coached. We're not. I fully expect this season to play out before anybody makes a serious change in team management on any level. As it probably should. But this long held Hurricanes club-wide habit of patting ourselves on the back about how great we are when we're barely treading water is the kind of old thinking that I'd hoped fresh ownership would disrupt and eliminate. It's frustrating as hell to see that stuff coming out of Dundon right out of the gate.

The past two games I've seen Tony McDonald and his staff in the building. Not sure what amateur scouts are doing at pro games when the OHL and other leagues are still in full swing. Change in ownership bringing everyone together? I hope that unit among everything else is getting a look-see because our drafting and player development is still lacking.

In years past the Canes have brought in the junior scouts to have a powwow around the new year. That's nothing new.

well I don't think a new owner is going to come in and say "our team is fat and stupid and slow"

I certainly have no issue with fans complaining but Steve Logan had a funny and likely true comment - "If a coach listens to the fans too much , he will end up sitting with them in the stands." He said this because once after coaching for a long time he finally sat in the stands for a game. And he said it amazed him how totally dumb many fans were about football.

Back