• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Pro-tip: andersen ain't no different than most "#1 goalies".

Ullmark has been a calamity in the playoffs every time.

Saros was the 4th best goalie in his series behind Silovs, Demko, and even fricken Desmith.

Hellebuyck was the worst goalie in these playoffs.

Wasn't FI against rask for Raycroft, Andersen, Toskala etc.

As always we're never a monolith, so there's always disagreement. There's no "FI take" on most shit. But I'm comfortable with my goalie takes over the years. Should have traded Andersen when we saw him crumple in the playoffs a few times, the Campbell trade was a decent punt and then I wanted no part of signing him to term and money, Mrazek was dogshit and a bad bet, Murray a bad bet, Samsonov interesting but scary, etc. I wanted to be the team that picked up Kuemper from Arizona, etc.

Yeah, I've suggested some crazy shit like Driedger but I generally present my crazy shit as a willingness to take risks on crazy shit that might pay off. But know in advance it's crazy shit. I'd rather swing for the fences on someone who might be good than settle for someone we know will probably be bad or even just has very limited upside if he doesn't suck (Mrazek, for example). But yeah, shit is going to get progressively nuttier when the team doesn't do any of the more rational shit talked about years before.

Saros was the 4th best goalie in his series behind Silovs, Demko, and even fricken Desmith.

So, you are saying sign Fred?

As always we're never a monolith, so there's always disagreement. There's no "FI take" on most shit. But I'm comfortable with my goalie takes over the years. Should have traded Andersen when we saw him crumple in the playoffs a few times, the Campbell trade was a decent punt and then I wanted no part of signing him to term and money, Mrazek was dogshit and a bad bet, Murray a bad bet, Samsonov interesting but scary, etc. I wanted to be the team that picked up Kuemper from Arizona, etc.

Yeah, I've suggested some crazy shit like Driedger but I generally present my crazy shit as a willingness to take risks on crazy shit that might pay off. But know in advance it's crazy shit. I'd rather swing for the fences on someone who might be good than settle for someone we know will probably be bad or even just has very limited upside if he doesn't suck (Mrazek, for example). But yeah, shit is going to get progressively nuttier when the team doesn't do any of the more rational shit talked about years before.
I think I recall you pushing hard for an Ullmark deal before Boston so I don't think you've been too bad on the goalie wishlist front.

Small sample size is always going to be fun.

Kucherov has scored 1 goal in his last 11 playoff games
Pastrnak has 13 points in his last 20 playoff games
The year after back to back Conn Smythe level performances a few years ago, Brayden Point put up 5 points in 9 games.

I think I recall you pushing hard for an Ullmark deal before Boston so I don't think you've been too bad on the goalie wishlist front.

The year we picked up Foligno, I wanted Hall + Ullmark from Buffalo at the deadline (both were expiring) and extend Ullmark.

Zeke wanted Foligno

The funny part is cam talbot has probably been the stopgap answer for the last 5 years. Never more than 3.66MM and averages roughly a .910

The year we picked up Foligno, I wanted Hall + Ullmark from Buffalo at the deadline (both were expiring) and extend Ullmark.

Zeke wanted Foligno

Playoffs since

Woll 7gms, .933
Campbell 18gms .920
Samsonov 22gms .901
Ullmark 10gms .887

And i hate this "let's get a reliable #1 goalie for once" take.

We did that already with fucking fred. It's not somethjng we haven't tried before. We did and we hated it.
Andersen ended up being a mentally fragile starter for us. They identified the wrong guy. I am 100% in for another “Andersen” type deal. The thought process behind the deal was sound. Lou came in and took a chance. Have to hope that if Bundy does a deal like that it’s for the right guy.

Back