• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Don Cherry Fired Poll

Do you support Don Cherry Poll

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good riddance.

In all honesty though, I hold SNET/CBC more responsible than Don. Everyone knew this day was coming. He is an 85 year old set in his ways. Keeping him on the air despite SEVERAL red flags is on them. Enabling him set the table for this outrage.

I always figured he lasted as long as he did because he was a Leaf fan. That seemed to trump everything else, and gave him a lot more followers.

Good riddance.

In all honesty though, I hold SNET/CBC more responsible than Don. Everyone knew this day was coming. He is an 85 year old set in his ways. Keeping him on the air despite SEVERAL red flags is on them. Enabling him set the table for this outrage.

Good point.

Don Cherry should have been fired many, many years ago for the shit he's said.

He should not have been fired for what he said on Saturday because he's half right. A lot of the modern-day immigrants don't care one iota about Remembrance Day or supporting the Veterans of this country.

But here's the problem that Don glossed over: The same thing applies to those who were born & raised here. Those who were born & raised in this country don't care about the Veterans either. They feign their appreciation whenever the appropriate dates come around, but for the remaining dates in the calendar, they couldn't give one shit less.

I take public transit for work and I decided to look around every day to see how many people actually had a poppy on their jackets for both Sunday & Monday. I easily saw over a thousand people... I saw maybe two or three dozen poppies. Ironically, about half the people who did wear one had colored skin and the other were white. Who knows whether they were born here or moved here, I don't really care one way or another.

This is where Don Cherry is wrong: This isn't an immigrant problem. It's a general, modern-day apathy problem. This generation will probably never understand the true appreciation of Veterans should deserve and the risks they took so that this country could be democratic and free.

He should not have been fired for what he said on Saturday because he's half right. A lot of the modern-day immigrants don't care one iota about Remembrance Day or supporting the Veterans of this country.

But here's the problem that Don glossed over: The same thing applies to those who were born & raised here. Those who were born & raised in this country don't care about the Veterans either. They feign their appreciation whenever the appropriate dates come around, but for the remaining dates in the calendar, they couldn't give one shit less.

I take public transit for work and I decided to look around every day to see how many people actually had a poppy on their jackets for both Sunday & Monday. I easily saw over a thousand people... I saw maybe two or three dozen poppies. Ironically, about half the people who did wear one had colored skin and the other were white. Who knows whether they were born here or moved here, I don't really care one way or another.

This is where Don Cherry is wrong: This isn't an immigrant problem. It's a general, modern-day apathy problem. This generation will probably never understand the true appreciation of Veterans should deserve and the risks they took so that this country could be democratic and free.
I disagree with that, i know people many people who were born here that did not wear a poppy.. it does not mean they don't care.. I was at the service here on Monday, 4 new canadians were there and were wearing their poppy.. I have given money for a poppy and never take one.. wearing a poppy does not define who or what you beliefs are.. just my view

I disagree with that, i know people many people who were born here that did not wear a poppy.. it does not mean they don't care.. I was at the service here on Monday, 4 new canadians were there and were wearing their poppy.. I have given money for a poppy and never take one.. wearing a poppy does not define who or what you beliefs are.. just my view

Exactly. As I just posted on the Leaf board...

1. I'm going to go a head and assume that immigrants buy less poppies per capita than people born in Canada. It only makes sense... the longer you live somewhere you'll pick up on more of their traditions.

2. When Cherry walks around and sees "immigrants" not wearing poppies, how does he know they're immigrants? When he sees someone wearing a poppy how does he know they're a born and bred Canadian?

Gotta say, a good post brother.

Back