• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #10: Maple Leafs @ Jets

Lots of guys stepped up tonight but especially Hyman, Kapanen and Andersen. Zaitsev also played way, way better, albeit with some unnecessarily bumpy spots.

The top two lines were much more dangerous this game than the previous two. The margin flattered the Jets, who got a ****load of help from the officials and from Zach having no finish around the net.

DqUKqULVYAAYUhR.jpg

It's one thing to maybe have that thought, but to take the time to put it on a placard and then brandish it in public is ... well, not a good look.

Looks like a drunk jets fan thought it was a great idea. Looks like some kind of carton box (beer maybe?) that was dissembled and written on.

Classy!

Big win last night, fun to see the media clowns eat crow
Heh, yep.

Hughson & Simpson especially were in fine form last night. Going into the third period, they were referring to the score as a "three-goal deficit". As Winnipeg made it 3-1 and then 3-2, they were almost giddy with excitement. And then when Tavares scored his goal to restore a two-goal Leaf lead, it was almost like someone let the air out of a balloon.

Anyway, that was a really great performance by the Leafs last night. Aside from maybe a 7-8 minute stretch in the first period, and the early part of the third period when they let their foot off the gas a bit, the Leafs were really carrying the play for the majority of the game.

There weren't too many too many shifts where the bigger Jets hemmed the Leafs into their own zone and cycled them to death---the Leafs were doing that to the Jets themselves more often. Also nice to see some of the guys in the bottom-6 (Kadri, Ennis) get onto the scoreboard, as well as our first 4th line goal of the season.

Heh, yep.

Hughson & Simpson especially were in fine form last night. Going into the third period, they were referring to the score as a "three-goal deficit". As Winnipeg made it 3-1 and then 3-2, they were almost giddy with excitement. And then when Tavares scored his goal to restore a two-goal Leaf lead, it was almost like someone let the air out of a balloon.

Anyway, that was a really great performance by the Leafs last night. Aside from maybe a 7-8 minute stretch in the first period, and the early part of the third period when they let their foot off the gas a bit, the Leafs were really carrying the play for the majority of the game.

There weren't too many too many shifts where the bigger Jets hemmed the Leafs into their own zone and cycled them to death---the Leafs were doing that to the Jets themselves more often. Also nice to see some of the guys in the bottom-6 (Kadri, Ennis) get onto the scoreboard, as well as our first 4th line goal of the season.

I didn't catch the whole game, but man the NBC crew was really a breath of fresh air from what I did see. Really well balanced, and the play by play guy's voice actually matches the excitement level of the game.

Jesus, I haaaaaaate the NBC crew. I detest that guy’s voice. And it’s basically all I can get during the postseason when they don’t have the Canadian feeds here.

Does Simpson really have to spend the whole game talking about how bad 3 goal leads are? You'd think he'd notice from calling and playing in thousands of games that teams don't often blow 3 goal leads.

Heh, maybe you just always end up hating whoever you're forced to listen to. I can actually remember not enjoying Cole as a kid but growing to love his game calling later on. Hughson is just awful though, and isn't the NBC guy "Doc" Emrick? Bit of a legend? I've always enjoyed his calls. You prefer Hughson to him?

Last edited:
Does Simpson really have to spend the whole game talking about how bad 3 goal leads are? You'd think he'd notice from calling and playing in thousands of games that teams don't often blow 3 goal leads.

Ya I hate when anyone does this.

The "dreaded" 2 goal lead, which sometimes is the "dreaded" 3 goal lead. To hear these guys talk you would think a 1 goal lead is preferred.

Browsing some Jets content. Enjoying them starting to turn on Laine. Starting to label him as "one dimensional".

Yes, I'm petty.

Heh, maybe you just always end up hating whoever you're forced to listen to. I can actually remember not enjoying Cole as a kid but growing to love his game calling later on. Hughson is just awful though, and isn't the NBC guy "Doc" Emrick? Bit of a legend? I've always enjoyed his calls. You prefer Hughson to him?

I think I’m the least put off by the HNIC crew on this board. I don’t really see this undeniable anti-Leaf bias that you all talk about every game, and the production is just so much better overall (camera angles, analysis, intermissions, etc.). I would always, always watch the Canadian feed if I had the option.

Part of it also is that I associate those voices with our nerve wracking playoff games and heartbreaking losses of the past decade going back to that shortened season series, and so I’m just feeling sick when I hear these guys.

Browsing some Jets content. Enjoying them starting to turn on Laine. Starting to label him as "one dimensional".

Yes, I'm petty.

that's been obvious for a while now. the most disappointing thing might be that he's huge, but is a Hal Gill-like pillow when he plays.

hell of a shot though. Freddy didn't even move on the one that hit the bar.

Laine will get hot at some point and score 10 goals in 15 games and everyone will love him again.

Back