• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Bruins @ Canes, 7pm

What simply does not add up is everyone says it's Peters and his system that is the problem, yet everywhere outside of here you hear nothing but praise for Bill Peters around the league. I shit you not, last night on NHL Network, Neil Smith, Dave Reid and the host waxed on for 15 minutes about how great Wild Bill is as a coach and how all the problems lie with bad goaltending in Carolina. So if Peters is great and the players here simply are not able to play his system, then it's either all new players or Bill shown the door only to get hired in Arizona the next day and they suddenly become Cup contenders...

If I were an opposing coach, I’d be praising how good a job peters is doing also.
Keep it up Bill.

I'm not convinced that this is really on Peters either. Darling might finish with the worst save percentage of any goaltender with over 40 games played since Marc Denis posted an .883 in 2006-07. That's historically bad. And Darling's problems have not been because of bad defense. The eye test tells you that he's flat out awful. We felt good for him in the Chicago win, but he was average at best in that game and Chicago simply didn't show up. If Darling is just mediocre, this team is probably knocking on the Pens' door right now for second in the Division.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that we don't have problems. We do. Lots of them. A ton of them. But a lot of teams do. I'm just saying that if Darling is better than ECHL level this year, the conversation around this team is much different.

...... I'm just saying that if Darling is better than ECHL level this year, the conversation around this team is much different.

The conversation would only shift to how the team can't score goals and they would still not be a playoff team. There is an organizational "stink" currently associated with the Hurricanes that needs to change and must change starting at the top. First step is a new owner and new GM and they will have to set the pace to change culture over the next year.

There is a reason "problem" players can go to organizations like the Patriots and shine or players can rehab their career in a different setting. Look at what Eric Staal has done since joining Minnesota. Take a train wreck like Justin Schultz in Edmonton and then place him in Pittsburgh were he has become a legit top 4 pairing defenseman. There are countless examples of where an overall organization can make players better. Carolina needs to figure that out as the last 10 years have pretty much killed careers once you are in Raleigh too long.

What simply does not add up is everyone says it's Peters and his system that is the problem, yet everywhere outside of here you hear nothing but praise for Bill Peters around the league. I shit you not, last night on NHL Network, Neil Smith, Dave Reid and the host waxed on for 15 minutes about how great Wild Bill is as a coach and how all the problems lie with bad goaltending in Carolina. So if Peters is great and the players here simply are not able to play his system, then it's either all new players or Bill shown the door only to get hired in Arizona the next day and they suddenly become Cup contenders...

Did you watch that press conference last night? That guy doesn't give me the impression of a good coach.

Did you watch that press conference last night? That guy doesn't give me the impression of a good coach.

I'm sitting here thinking of a list of pros and cons regarding Bill Peters....and I tell ya, I can't think of much of anything good about this imbecile. His list of goofs, gaffes, and plain dumb decisions is too long to type on a phone though.

Humor me....

I'm not convinced that this is really on Peters either. Darling might finish with the worst save percentage of any goaltender with over 40 games played since Marc Denis posted an .883 in 2006-07. That's historically bad. And Darling's problems have not been because of bad defense. The eye test tells you that he's flat out awful. We felt good for him in the Chicago win, but he was average at best in that game and Chicago simply didn't show up. If Darling is just mediocre, this team is probably knocking on the Pens' door right now for second in the Division.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that we don't have problems. We do. Lots of them. A ton of them. But a lot of teams do. I'm just saying that if Darling is better than ECHL level this year, the conversation around this team is much different.

Oh sure ... somewhat different, in that we'd be spending more time talking about how our general offensive ineptitude kept us out of the playoffs. We're on pace for 220 goals scored this season. That would be Bill Peters high water mark with the Canes, and not NEARLY enough to actually compete in this league. The only 5 teams in the league with less goals than the Canes are already hip deep into planning for next season. Darling has sucked bilge water, but he's not here to score goals and without that we could have Patrick Roy in his prime back there and we'd still suck.

I mean ... I guess that's not 100% of Peters either, since Francis build this square box of an offense. But still, somebody show me the single thinest shred of evidence that Peters is some sort of dynamic offensive mind. It doesn't exist ... despite the press chatting him up. They're as full of crap on that front as they are on most everything else about this league.

Last edited:
not sure why people are complaining now? I thought people wanted a better draft pick and Peters gone. Last night really helped out in that regard.

not sure why people are complaining now? I thought people wanted a better draft pick and Peters gone. Last night really helped out in that regard.

Other than the ~$250 I spent to witness that in all its "glory", whilst surrounded by annoying folks in black and gold.... you've got a point.

Devils 8 Vegas 3 last night just in case anyone was thinking a Canes run in the final 12 games would give them a shot....

Eliminated. Not much else to worry about. It's been over.

Only need to earn 9 more points over te last 12 games than 4 other teams. Simple.

Play Darling every night. For sheer entertainment if nothing else. The season ending goal should be to get 1 more win for Darling.

Play Darling every night. For sheer entertainment if nothing else. The season ending goal should be to get 1 more win for Darling.

Between the 18th and 26th, the Canes play the Isles, Edmonton, Arizona and Ottawa twice, all below them in the standings. Darling "should" be able to squeeze out a win against one of them.

Between the 18th and 26th, the Canes play the Isles, Edmonton, Arizona and Ottawa twice, all below them in the standings. Darling "should" be able to squeeze out a win against one of them.

We have all watched this same charade in countless other seasons this time of year with this team! You know what happens next, a 5 or 6 game winning streak when it's just a tad too late to not only ruin the tank but also just enough of a push to finish 9th in the East and ruin the better draft pick chances. This team loves that "just missed the playoffs gosh darnit but boy were we close" mentality, once the games become meaningless.

#CultureofComplacency

Back