• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Offer Sheet for Aho

Again ... I doubt Dundon will walk away from this pleased, no matter that Waddell might. Nobody's going to ask Eric Tulsky because he'll just want the picks :0)

I see it as Dundon all fired up even more now to try something more off the wall and batshit crazy moving forward.

I see it as Dundon all fired up even more now to try something more off the wall and batshit crazy moving forward.

Maybe. Dundon has actually been fairly calm and calculating since he settled in with a front office crew. Remember that rumors of his reported cheapness are largely just confirmations of that things the guy has actually stated up front ... if he spends money it's going to be on things and players he believes push the needle in the market and in the standings. He's done that math on pretty much everything he's done since the end of last season. I doubt he's going to go all mad professor of the castle on us at this point, but from what some of my biz contacts tell me, that is one ruthless SOB. He doesn't have a short memory.

What are these rumors that Dundon wants to move the team to Houston eventually?

If true you have to wonder if he's doing what MLB did to the Expos.

What are these rumors that Dundon wants to move the team to Houston eventually?

If true you have to wonder if he's doing what MLB did to the Expos.

There are no actual rumors about that. There has been some loose speculation based on ... whatever. Nothing real.

And Dundon has been negotiating a fairly comprehensive arena renovation with local funding authorities that would see him plow a significant amount of his own money into building improvements. You don't generally waste time negotiating stuff like that if you're playing the bleed it and run game.

Re: 2019 Free Agency Thread

Carolina's gate revenue all last season was a tad over the signing bonus offered so they would basically be giving Aho the gate for a year.

BTW ... I saw this somewhere else and I'm not sure where that comes from. Carolina's revenue from 2017-18 was over $100 million. That was a crap year in absolutely every regard, and one that didn't feature three rounds of playoff revenue. Whoever's peddling that story is full of crap.

MTL released statement saying Aho has signed the offer sheet— Bergevin noting that Aho wants to be a Canadien. Of note, MTL looked at both Point and Aho (same agent) but thought they’d have a better chance at getting Aho. MTL just wanted to test the new, non-traditional hockey guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, again, when this is all done and Aho is playing for the Canes, remember that Aho signed this offer sheet. He put pen to paper and basically stated that he was willing to leave the Canes via this offer sheet. There were other ways he and his agent could have approached his RFA status that didn't involve signing an offer sheet. So while we all love to slam the team that made the offer and forced the Canes to deal with a contract that they certainly wouldn't willingly have structured, remember that Aho signed that contract. He and his agent are as responsible for this contract as the Habs are.

Not that Aho shouldn't go after the best contract he can get, but he had zero stink on him, until now. We will all love him when he's putting up another 80+ points for us, but I won't look at him the same way after this. Guess what kid, you sure as heck better be 85-100 points a season every season for these 5 seasons after electing to do this to get your money.

There are no actual rumors about that. There has been some loose speculation based on ... whatever. Nothing real.

And Dundon has been negotiating a fairly comprehensive arena renovation with local funding authorities that would see him plow a significant amount of his own money into building improvements. You don't generally waste time negotiating stuff like that if you're playing the bleed it and run game.

They did the same thing with the Expos. If the arena deal falls through they'll use it as ammunition. Just saying.

BTW ... I saw this somewhere else and I'm not sure where that comes from. Carolina's revenue from 2017-18 was over $100 million. That was a crap year in absolutely every regard, and one that didn't feature three rounds of playoff revenue. Whoever's peddling that story is full of crap.

Gate revenue. Ticket sales only. No concession, merchandising etc in that number.

No one is negotiating a new arena, its renovations. No new arena is coming and Dundon isn't expecting that. And there is no one balking at the renovations either, those are going to happen. Dundon won't need those excuses to move the team if he decides he wants to.

With this I guess people are forgetting they are still looking for a #1 goalie. :) still Talking to Mrzaek and Lehner. Maybe it's who blinks first.

Gate revenue. Ticket sales only. No concession, merchandising etc in that number.

Gate revenue is WAY more than 20% of annual revenue and Carolina's total revenues were up over 30% from the prior year based on preliminary numbers presented to the arena authority. Whoever reported that number fell for a line.

Right, again, when this is all done and Aho is playing for the Canes, remember that Aho signed this offer sheet. He put pen to paper and basically stated that he was willing to leave the Canes via this offer sheet. There were other ways he and his agent could have approached his RFA status that didn't involve signing an offer sheet. So while we all love to slam the team that made the offer and forced the Canes to deal with a contract that they certainly wouldn't willingly have structured, remember that Aho signed that contract. He and his agent are as responsible for this contract as the Habs are.

Not that Aho shouldn't go after the best contract he can get, but he had zero stink on him, until now. We will all love him when he's putting up another 80+ points for us, but I won't look at him the same way after this. Guess what kid, you sure as heck better be 85-100 points a season every season for these 5 seasons after electing to do this to get your money.

After the first two years with the signing bonus, the salary rights itself, but that $21 million out of Dundon's pocket will hurt, especially given his misstep with the AAF. Is Dundon one to hold a grudge? NSH ultimately matched PHI's offer sheet on Shea Weber and Weber now is a Canadien...

Waddell said that he had sent an offer to Aho's agent on Friday and never heard back and that was his indicator something like an offer sheet was coming. Can RFAs and their representation speak with other teams during this period? I thought they could, but not certain. I just wonder if the agent can help grease the wheels on an offer sheet.

After the first two years with the signing bonus, the salary rights itself, but that $21 million out of Dundon's pocket will hurt, especially given his misstep with the AAF. Is Dundon one to hold a grudge? NSH ultimately matched PHI's offer sheet on Shea Weber and Weber now is a Canadien...

Waddell said that he had sent an offer to Aho's agent on Friday and never heard back and that was his indicator something like an offer sheet was coming. Can RFAs and their representation speak with other teams during this period? I thought they could, but not certain. I just wonder if the agent can help grease the wheels on an offer sheet.

Teams are allowed to speak to UFA and RFA the week running up to July 1. They cannot negotiate official contracts but they can feel out the player's demands and they can say that an offer is coming without detailing numbers.

I guess when nothing good has happened since the first year of Clinton in the White House you get desperate and do dumb stuff.

Back