• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2023-24 Season

Some think it's more fun that way, I think it's far more creative with no lasting evidence but the memory.
The beach, the park, the freight elevator, number twelve tee at Brightwood, the dentist chair, the hospital washroom.,,

didn't you say re Mailloux that it was just a hummer?
I did. It's not at all like the Team Canada stuff at all and Mailloux shouldn't be treated like he's a rapist. He's paid his debt to society, he's taken ownership of his mistakes and is making restitution. I don't know what else he could do to satisfy Basu's standards.

But what I'm also swing is that if he were a rapist you wouldn't care as long as he was cleared to play. To you, his utility as a player on the Habs roster is more important than anything he might have done in his spare time that was illegal. As far as you're concerned Mailloux could be a serial killer and you'd still want him dressed for the big game.on Saturday night.

Basu is one extreme and you're the other.

I did. It's not at all like the Team Canada stuff at all and Mailloux shouldn't be treated like he's a rapist. He's paid his debt to society, he's taken ownership of his mistakes and is making restitution. I don't know what else he could do to satisfy Basu's standards.

But what I'm also swing is that if he were a rapist you wouldn't care as long as he was cleared to play. To you, his utility as a player on the Habs roster is more important than anything he might have done in his spare time that was illegal. As far as you're concerned Mailloux could be a serial killer and you'd still want him dressed for the big game.on Saturday night.

Basu is one extreme and you're the other.
doesn't it depend how good he is? As Jimmy Johnson said, he will cut any player who falls asleep in meetings, he was asked what if Aikman falls asleep, he said I would tell him to wake up.

doesn't it depend how good he is? As Jimmy Johnson said, he will cut any player who falls asleep in meetings, he was asked what if Aikman falls asleep, he said I would tell him to wake up.
When it comes to sexual assault, murder (hello, Ray Lewis) then no, it doesn't matter at all. Sexual assault isn't like a speeding ticket or, to use your example, falling asleep in a meeting. Not everything is morally relative or dependent on how good an athlete you are.

He’ll get dealt before the season, there’s always injuries in camp to teams or disappointments. They have to say they’re prepared to play and not act too pissed and Kent same thing, because if you say that and Kent says he’s trading you lose all leverage and value, and they may not get great destinations to go to

When it comes to sexual assault, murder (hello, Ray Lewis) then no, it doesn't matter at all. Sexual assault isn't like a speeding ticket or, to use your example, falling asleep in a meeting. Not everything is morally relative or dependent on how good an athlete you are.
Lewis wasn't convicted of murder. He went stoolie on his friends who did time.

After initially feeling good about it, I think getting involved in the Karlsson deal turned out to be a waste of time.

Sure we got rid of Hoffman but his contract was expiring anyway, while Petry will remain on the books for two seasons.

Not HuGo’s best work. Should have taken a holiday instead

The trade was fine. We got a second & a fourth in exchange for $2.4M dead capspace for 2 seasons and allowing us to get rid of Hoffman. Do I wish we got more? Sure, but if you have no intention of actually having the player on your team and nobody's offering you anything? You do what you have to do.

The salary retention is irrelevant in the larger scheme of things and I would have bought out Hoffman. I don't care that Hoffman only has a year left on his deal, I didn't want him anywhere near this team. The Hoffman buyout in ofitself would have been roughly the same amount of dead capspace.

Back