• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hello Jake!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Probably. If we wouldn't trade Nikishin for EP then we certainly aren't trading him for JG. But I'll be interested to see who the prospect is. Top 6 F, 1st round pick, and a mid-top prospect would only make sense if DW is confident of resigning JG, IMO.

So what’s the guess on the package? I’m going with Bunting, Unger-Sorum and the Canes first round pick this summer for Guentzel. I wish the caveat was an extension for Guentzel but that doesn’t feel like something that Dundon would do right now.

The trade call is done according to Pieere Lebrun, making Jake Guentzel officially a Hurricane.

So far it's a conditional 1st, if the Canes make the Cup finals the Pens get the Canes 2024 1st round pick. Otherwise the Pens get Philly's 2024 2nd round pick.

Pens get the Canes 2024 5th round pick if the Canes win the Cup (otherwise that pick is simply retained by the Canes).

Pens get Michael Bunting

Pens get prospect(s). Still waiting on the specifics but it was reported Scott Morrow was not part of this deal

Ok, here is the full deal according to Lebrun:

Pittsburgh trades Jake Guentzel (25% retained) and Ty Smith to Carolina in exchange for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, Carolina’s 1st RD pick in 2024 (Conditional) and Carolina’s 5th RD pick in 2024 (Conditional).

If the Canes don’t win the Cup, the first becomes the Flyers 2nd and the 5th disappears.

Smith is only 23, a left shot defenseman who was drafted 17th overall by the Devils in 2018. He has 123 NHL games with the Devils and Pens.

Last edited:
I think the condition on the first is just the Canes making the Finals. The 5th is only in play if the Canes win the Cup

And with the 25% retention by the Pens, the money is a wash. So Waddell still has room to play.

I was just about to post the same thing. We still have room to add over $6 million in AAV without moving any payroll out. Are we willing to package another 3 or 4 prospects for....?

I like the trade but I think we’re going to be kicking ourselves that we gave up Ponomarev in a couple years. Especially if we don’t extend Guentzel. I really like Ponomarev. If we win the cup it’s worth it 🤞

Ok, here is the full deal according to Lebrun:

Pittsburgh trades Jake Guentzel (25% retained) and Ty Smith to Carolina in exchange for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, Carolina’s 1st RD pick in 2024 (Conditional) and Carolina’s 5th RD pick in 2024 (Conditional).
Glad that Morrow, Unger-Sorum, Nikishin and Nadeau were not part of the deal! Ponomarev has quite a bit of upside but you gotta give to get and that conditional first round pick has nice conditions attached to it!!! Bunting at $4.55 m per for two more years was also looking a bit high for what he was doing here, I’m hoping some of that Bunting cap space could still be used for a Guentzel extension if he likes it here but that number he settles on will be high.

Last edited:
I like the trade but I think we’re going to be kicking ourselves that we gave up Ponomarev in a couple years. Especially if we don’t extend Guentzel. I really like Ponomarev. If we win the cup it’s worth it 🤞
My only concern on Ponomarev was I wish the Canes gave him a bit more of a look and a chance with the big team sprinkled in over the past two seasons to really see what you had. I realize the space was limited for a spot but two games was just a teaser. Gotta give to get but I agree he looks like an nhl regular that could produce offense.

My only concern on Ponomarev was I wish the Canes gave him a bit more of a look and a chance with the big team sprinkled in over the past two seasons to really see what you had. I realize the space was limited for a spot but two games was just a teaser. Gotta give to get but I agree he looks like an nhl regular that could produce offense.

Yea, same. I do like the trade and you definitely have to give up good pieces to get good players, even rentals. I just have a feeling that Ponomarev is going to be really good somewhere for a long time. Hopefully, we get over the playoff hump with Guentzel and/or he’s willing to play here long term and Dundon is willing to pony up the cash to keep him here long term. But, if he gets them to the finals, the pieces we gave up were worth it…..and the fact Pitt is retaining 25% giving us more flexibility to possibly add one more depth piece today

I think Guentzel fits this team perfectly. He has skill and loves to get to the ‘dirty areas’ and generates tons of good chances. Plus he’s like 3rd or 4th in the league at shot attempts from the slot per game. It’s like he was built for this team.

Back