• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hey Nerds: TV/Internet/Cord Cutting

WellPlayed

Hey Nerds. I think we may have already done a thread like this where I asked the same questions. I did a single half-assed search and couldn't find anything so here I am.

I'm moving in a few days. I currently have tv/internet with Bell. They got me to sign up on a sweet deal while they were trying to switch everyone at my condo. Then 3 months later they jacked up all the rates due to "infrastructure improvements". Really sick of their shit.

Interested in cord cutting. What's your setup? Live sports, especially hockey, are a must have for me. Something that will stream GOT when it comes back would be nice as well.

Also any cheap ISP's other than Rogers/Bell that are actually reliable with good speed?

Thanks!

tie-domi.jpg

For internet, I switched from Bell to teksavvy at home and for my business we went from Rogers to the same. Very reliable, well priced, independent, and not BCE or Rogers. One minorly annoying experience that was nowhere close to the oodles of awful experiences I've had with Rogers and Bell. In both instances, I use a dry loop connection.

Hey Nerds. I think we may have already done a thread like this where I asked the same questions. I did a single half-assed search and couldn't find anything so here I am.

I'm moving in a few days. I currently have tv/internet with Bell. They got me to sign up on a sweet deal while they were trying to switch everyone at my condo. Then 3 months later they jacked up all the rates due to "infrastructure improvements". Really sick of their shit.

Interested in cord cutting. What's your setup? Live sports, especially hockey, are a must have for me. Something that will stream GOT when it comes back would be nice as well.

Also any cheap ISP's other than Rogers/Bell that are actually reliable with good speed?

Thanks!

My setup is pretty simple:

- Teksavvy unlimited internet package (I think I'm around 75 a month for 50 up 10 down...don't quote me on that but without looking I'm 95% sure it's that or in that range). There's only two of us using it but we've never had an issue with both using streaming services at the same time (Ms Eye often watches her telenovellas while I'm watching Leaf games upstairs

- A PS4 for gaming and apps on my TV up in my den, a Roku down on the TV in the living room for access to apps

- Netflix (12), Amazon Prime (also 12 I think but has a ton of additional utility...I do a fair bit of online shopping so it's basically free due to how much I save on shipping), NHL Centre Ice (250 for the season, so ~21 a month), NBA league pass (about the same)

I don't watch much else that isn't on one of those 4 sources, but when I do it's usually just download it and play it through my PS4 on a thumb drive

Yeah, I'd also recommend Teksaavy. When I cut the cord on my Rogers TV & Internet packages about six years ago, I switched over to them. In that time, I've had zero issues with performance, speed or billing. HD movies or live sports in HD stream flawlessly pretty much all the time.

The only issue to be aware of is that they piggy-back on either the Rogers or Bell networks. So if you have any out-of-the-ordinary technical problems arise, Teksaavy has to contract out Rogers or Bell technicians to come by and fix them, and those technicians are aware you get your service with a reseller, and seem to make it their mission to be as inconvenient and shitty as possible. My one experience with that was my cable getting ripped off the utility pole during an ice storm, and it taking hours on the phone, several technician visits and about a month before they finally got me reconnected.

But that's literally been my only issue with them, and that kind of circumstance obviously isn't common.

For streaming TV or movies, subscriptions to Netflix & Amazon Prime supply me with just about everything I need. I'll also rent newer stuff through iTunes sometimes as well.

For anything HBO, like GOT, there is literally no legal streaming option in Canada that doesn't involve purchasing a full Cable TV subscription that includes HBO. But 99% of the time, you can usually download the latest episode from a BitTorrent site literally minutes after it's finished airing live, even though I totally never do this myself.

For live sports, the MLB.tv package will give you every Blue Jays regular season & playoff game with no blackouts. And that package will also be available for progressively lower prices as the season goes on. For the Leafs, the NHL's Gamecenter package is worse than useless if you live in the Maple Leaf broadcast area, as most games are blacked out. There are, however, reliable and very high quality grey market options...that of course I don't use myself at all, and totally wouldn't be able to tell you about if you asked me via PM.

I have about five Android boxes setup with Kodi and real-debrid (a premium link scraper) which gets me 1080p links and costs around 24$ for six months. I also subscribe to am IPTV service through Kodi and I get all sports channels, american, and canadian channels. Cost me about 200$ for a year. Pretty reliable service so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only issue to be aware of is that they piggy-back on either the Rogers or Bell networks. So if you have any out-of-the-ordinary technical problems arise, Teksaavy has to contract out Rogers or Bell technicians to come by and fix them, and those technicians are aware you get your service with a reseller, and seem to make it their mission to be as inconvenient and shitty as possible.

Which in my experience, is exactly how it goes if you're one of their own customers. So, no diff. heh

IPTV>

10-15/month gets you nearly everything. 100-200 for an android box. The IPTV subsription is excellent for international TV, PPV's, live sports, videoclub(movies/tv shows). The box comes preloaded with KODI.

Only downside i feel at the moment is that the quality of live stream sports isn't the greatest. I'd say its mostly 720p but sometimes the frame rate isn't that great. Watching hockey for instance isn't the greatest as the puck just moves too fast. I think this tech will get better in the next few years.

My building just got hooked up to Beanfield Fibre Internet so will most likely switch to them. Their lowest speed is a ridic 250Mbps up/down. $50/month.

No cable. Just over the air local HD sprinkled with Netflix, Amazon Prime, NFL Gamepass (thru DAZN this year) and NHL gamecentre (will no longer be free when I switch to Beanfield)

Late to the game, so here's my 2 cents:

Did the same thing in September...left Rogers and their phone/internet/tv package (~$200/mo) for Start.ca internet (60mB down, 10 up, unl capacity, $60), Ooma phone (voip, $4.50/mo), Netflix and streaming tv. Start.ca was super easy to set up, ooma was seamless, and both have been fantastic. Also bought a cheap-o desktop computer and wireless keyboard/mouse combo to hook up to the main tv, and have been using reddit and others for all things NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, etc.

With the Olympics, I splurged on Sportsnet Now for $25/mo, but we'll see how long that lasts. Anyway, went from ~$200/mo to ~$100, and less if I get rid of Sportsnet.

Bump!

Setups? No cable at the moment, just Amazon Prime, Netflix, Free to Air. With the NHL season on the way I need to figure out how to watch hockey without giving Bell/Rogers $100 a month. Anyone using an IPTV provider with a sports package?

I almost fell out of my chair earlier this week -- got a notice from Teksavvy that they were reducing my pricing because they are no longer charging the extra fee for the dry loop. I have never in my life had a telecom drop a subscription price in any fashion whatsoever.

Bump!

Setups? No cable at the moment, just Amazon Prime, Netflix, Free to Air. With the NHL season on the way I need to figure out how to watch hockey without giving Bell/Rogers $100 a month. Anyone using an IPTV provider with a sports package?

I got sucked into one of those introductory builders packages when I moved into a new build townhouse in Woodbridge this summer so this will be the first Leaf season in like 5-6 years that I'm not using some sort of streaming solution to watch hockey. None of the resellers are allowed into this neighbourhood yet so I was stuck choosing between Bell and Rogers. Rogers had gigabit internet, a massive IPTV package (including all the sports channels, HBO, etc), home phone (dafuq? It's 2019 bro) and home monitoring (which I didn't get...that shit isn't nearly as secure as they market it.) for 99 bucks for 2 years.

That shit goes flying out the window exactly 3 seconds after the intro package ends. I'll be back with Teksavvy at that point.

Holy Hanna that stream is good quality

I almost fell out of my chair earlier this week -- got a notice from Teksavvy that they were reducing my pricing because they are no longer charging the extra fee for the dry loop. I have never in my life had a telecom drop a subscription price in any fashion whatsoever.

I’ve been a Teksavvy customer for several years, and they’ve reduced my rates twice during that time period. Great company.

Huh, I've been with them since about 4 or 5 years (could be longer, I am temporally-challenged). I don't recall a previous reduction, though I often ignore emails like that.

Thanks again for this. Loving it.

Back