• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Hockey Quebec has been rotten to the core for as far as I can remember it. A whole 'lot of people in powerful positions that are doing things to make money instead of running a sport.

Thibault didn't specifically say why or what, but reading between the lines: He's supposed to be the boss, but he's ultimately powerless to affect any change if the presidents of each region don't follow suit.
Right. That is what I got from the English articles. Reading between the lines he seemed frustrated he couldn't change things.

Heard a podcast discussion saying this could open the door for schools to play the a bigger role for youth hockey, especially for the older kids.

This was always why the QMJHL, especially back when all its teams were within Quebec, was the weak sister among the 3 junior leagues. Teams in the Q were only interested in cultivating "vedettes", a star player who could sell tickets. To that end, teams were built to help the star player pad his stats, not to develop the other players into future NHLers.

Some players, like Mario Lemieux, were the real thing but a lot of others, like Alexandre Daigle and the two other Denis' in Verdun not named Savard, were frauds at the pro level.

This was always why the QMJHL, especially back when all its teams were within Quebec, was the weak sister among the 3 junior leagues. Teams in the Q were only interested in cultivating "vedettes", a star player who could sell tickets. To that end, teams were built to help the star player pad his stats, not to develop the other players into future NHLers.

Some players, like Mario Lemieux, were the real thing but a lot of others, like Alexandre Daigle and the two other Denis' in Verdun not named Savard, were frauds at the pro level.
Denis Cyr and Denis Tremblay

Doesn't MLS have an arrangement with Amazon. Crazy how you have to pay so much money for the endless streaming service providers of movies, shows, sports etc...

Doesn't MLS have an arrangement with Amazon. Crazy how you have to pay so much money for the endless streaming service providers of movies, shows, sports etc...
Millenials stroked one out re cutting cables, most went to illegal streams but now bitch about legal ones. Makes me laugh ;)

Millenials stroked one out re cutting cables, most went to illegal streams but now bitch about legal ones. Makes me laugh ;)
Forget about millennials, I’ve reached my breaking point myself. I don’t mind paying for content but I don’t want to manage 5 different subscriptions just to watch games, so illegal streams it will be for me, at least I can find all the games at one place.

Forget about millennials, I’ve reached my breaking point myself. I don’t mind paying for content but I don’t want to manage 5 different subscriptions just to watch games, so illegal streams it will be for me, at least I can find all the games at one place.
I may or may not be on the same boat.

All alleged, of course.

My bigger issue is that Centre Ice and Sunday ticket don't even get you all the games.
I get them all. The only NHL games I don't get on Centre Ice are the Edmonton and Calgary games that I get on Sportsnet West or CBC because they are not "out of market".

The only thing I don't like is that sometimes, they don't give you both team's broadcasts. For instance, if I'm watching a Leafs-Bruins playoff game, I want to avoid the Leaf blowers on HNIT and watch the Boston feed. But I don't get that option. And I don't always get the RDS feed on Habs games. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I get them all. The only NHL games I don't get on Centre Ice are the Edmonton and Calgary games that I get on Sportsnet West or CBC because they are not "out of market".

The only thing I don't like is that sometimes, they don't give you both team's broadcasts. For instance, if I'm watching a Leafs-Bruins playoff game, I want to avoid the Leaf blowers on HNIT and watch the Boston feed. But I don't get that option. And I don't always get the RDS feed on Habs games. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I had both this year and they were not covering all the games.

For football it only covers out-of-market games, and not TNF (since it's on Prime). That's not too bad because the in-market games are on national TV, so if you have Sunday ticket + Prime + ABC/NBC/Fox, you're good. But now they've been talking about putting more games on Peacock and that will be annoying.

Centre Ice is terrible here. For starters, it only covers out-of-market games, the Sunday ticket, except that the games are always on some obscure, cable only, generally associated with Comcast, network. So I could never watch any Kraken games in Seattle or Coyotes games in Phoenix. It's so incredibly stupid. Then sometimes they put games on NHL Network, those are not included in Centre Ice either, and it's another hard to find channel. Bruins/Habs games tends to be on NBCSN, so those are excluded as well. So despite paying for the package, I can't watch any local games and there is about 10-15 games a year for the Habs that are not covered either and I have to rely on illegal streams.

I wouldn't mind paying $200+/year for all the games, meaning truly all, but this shit right here is infuriating.

I had both this year and they were not covering all the games.

For football it only covers out-of-market games, and not TNF (since it's on Prime). That's not too bad because the in-market games are on national TV, so if you have Sunday ticket + Prime + ABC/NBC/Fox, you're good. But now they've been talking about putting more games on Peacock and that will be annoying.

Centre Ice is terrible here. For starters, it only covers out-of-market games, the Sunday ticket, except that the games are always on some obscure, cable only, generally associated with Comcast, network. So I could never watch any Kraken games in Seattle or Coyotes games in Phoenix. It's so incredibly stupid. Then sometimes they put games on NHL Network, those are not included in Centre Ice either, and it's another hard to find channel. Bruins/Habs games tends to be on NBCSN, so those are excluded as well. So despite paying for the package, I can't watch any local games and there is about 10-15 games a year for the Habs that are not covered either and I have to rely on illegal streams.

I wouldn't mind paying $200+/year for all the games, meaning truly all, but this shit right here is infuriating.
Sounds like a US only problem. Both CI and ST exist to provide only out-of-market games. In market games are up to you to source. Now in Canada, that's not a problem because no one I know has Centre Ice but doesn't have TSN or Sportsnet. If you have CI, you generally also have those, ergo you're covered. Plus, everyone with cable or even digital antenna can get CBC and CityTV for free so Saturday games are also covered.

With Sunday Ticket, Canadians get every game because we don't belong to any US TV market. Our local CTV channels will pick up whatever games that our local cable's US affiliates are carrying. So in Vancouver and Edmonton, we get our US network feeds from Seattle so usually the Seahawks will be on our local cable. But technically we're like LA was when they had no NFL franchises. We can get everything. And since our cable and dish providers in Canada collude more than they compete, we all get the same channel offerings so we don't have these situations where if you don't have a package from say Comcast, then you can't get certain channels that carry the games you want, etc. In Canada, you either have television or you don't. And if you do, and no matter where in the country you live, you all get the same shit and pay about the same price for it.

Back