• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

The Habs do a solid job with small, offensive players in the later rounds.

They're not all going to make it with us obviously, but should give us good trade bait (a la Collberg last season).

They're not all going to make it with us obviously, but should give us good trade bait (a la Collberg last season).

It comes to this: they're not afraid to draft undersized talent in later rounds.

Collberg wasn't small. He was average.

He's Russian, he sucks. He should drop to 26th.

Man I hope he continues to be the steal he looks to be.

Kid looks so good out there. He has a huge frame, probably get to at least 6'3 220. His skating and puck skills are quite impressive as well and his compete level is off the charts!

True, but his skill is starting to show as well...

That's the real good news...I've always maintained I'd give the guy a mulligan for last year. What's the point of rushing to judgement -- it's not like we could have dealt him for something good.

When did Chara start to stand out physically? The Sens kept Redden over him.

Huh?? Redden was a an All-Star D-man, good enough to make the Olympic Squad. Hindsight is 20/20. It's not like Chara was considered chop liver -- he signed for huge money with the Bruins who promptly named him team captain.

I see no similarity between Zedno and Mac except for size, which I suspect is the only metric you seem to value.

Huh?? Redden was a an All-Star D-man, good enough to make the Olympic Squad. Hindsight is 20/20. It's not like Chara was considered chop liver -- he signed for huge money with the Bruins who promptly named him team captain.

I see no similarity between Zedno and Mac except for size, which I suspect is the only metric you seem to value.

My point is that Chara was not a physically dominating presence in the early years or nearly as dominating as he is now. The big guys take time. So it's unfair to say it was common sense to expect McCarron to be physically dominating in the O from game 1.

McCarron's opponent last night was a bit like chopped liver, the 67s. But in the previous game , a tough road game in Erie, he didnt get any points but was a +1 despite the Knights losing 6-2. His overall game is looking pretty good.

My point is that Chara was not a physically dominating presence in the early years or nearly as dominating as he is now. The big guys take time. So it's unfair to say it was common sense to expect McCarron to be physically dominating in the O from game 1.

true, but word is McC was almost invisible last year. I'm sure the Habs were worried while remaining hopeful. Basically my stance all along. Just like when the Habs are down by 2 with a minute left -- I don't see the point of turning off the television.

When did Chara start to stand out physically? The Sens kept Redden over him.

Chara? His first game in WHL! (he was simply a freak with his height and was targeted by every opposing goon, who all had to at least try and take him on, with little success as he was quick learner to defending himself)

More like common sense: if you're 6'6, 225 lbs and can't stand out physically in junior you're wasting everyone's time.

Bingo.

Standing out physically is what is expected. For McCarron, I want to see something tangible where I can really say I didn't see that coming. A twitter report telling me that he was using his superior size to create chances for himself, while it is a welcome addition to his game, is to be expected.

For example, I would love to see him put up 80 points or something close to that.

Last edited:

The thing with Chara is that he's quite literally a one in a million player.

McCarron is a lot closer to Boris Valabik. Taken in the first round because hurrr durr size wurrrrrrrr, despite one major problem: He can't actually play hockey very well. And since being drafted, has scored 8 goals in his whole professional career spanning 8 years.

More like common sense: if you're 6'6, 225 lbs and can't stand out physically in junior you're wasting everyone's time.
Exactly. He should be better this season than last

Last year was so bad though... hes gonna need to prove it in the AHL next year. Big guys scoring some points at 19/20 in the ohl is not that impressive. Remember that swiss kid we signed a few years ago out of oshawa. He lasted half a season in hamilton.

Its also been 4 games.

Back