• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

you realize that reconciliation does not mean "do whatever you are asked even if just by one person" right?

The mayor couldn't even state that people were "offended" by the statue, just that he didn't want anyone to be.

I wonder if he those same mythical people offended by the statue will give me all the $$ with his face on it, I will gladly assist them by removing that offence (my part of reconciliation).

Usually, oddly enough, it is guilt ridden white self loathers who take down statues that the allegedly offended group never asked.

I remember saying last year that next would be Jefferson and Washington. I was told on this board, nah, don't worry as they did things other than be slave owners unlike the CSA generals etc. That was a fair enough argument but here we are a year later and even those who had more good than bad, a father of this great country is now facing the wrath of white guilt.

When people can find reasons to crap on Tommy Douglas, you know we have gone too far.

Habsy is right, it is better just to hate everyone.

i knew this would happen, despite people saying it was limited to the slave owning confederate symbols.

It was predictable. it is amusing to watch the mental gymnastics people like mindz do going from that shit won't happen here to why not MacDonald?

it is amusing to watch the mental gymnastics people like mindz do going from that shit won't happen here to why not MacDonald?

Did I miss a protest?

I said that there wouldn't be large protests to take monuments down in Canada. There hasn't been. Remember that the discussion we had at the time was in regards to large protests about confederate statues.

Did I miss a protest?

I said that there wouldn't be large protests to take monuments down in Canada. There hasn't been. Remember that the discussion we had at the time was in regards to large protests about confederate statues.

You forgot halifax.

No you weren't. You rarely miss an opportunity to rip on Canadians.

I rip on everyone bubba. It was a joke and if you knew me you’d know that. I’m Canadian, an *******, and I smile a lot. Sorry your panties are in a bunch.

The Washington Post is publishing an editorial in Arabic for the first time: "It is great to see Canada holding aloft the human rights banner, even at the cost of damaged ties to Saudi Arabia. But Canada should not have to do this alone."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/08/08/canada-wont-look-the-other-way-on-saudi-arabia-arabic-version/?utm_term=.9e64c986ae8f

That's the biggest thing irking me here. The ****ing silence from our allies.

It was large for halifax.

50-100 people in a city of 450K is a big protest?

A city half the size (Barrie) got double or more the amount of people to a protest against Monsanto a couple of years ago that a friend was an organizer for ffs.

So we should ignore the bad and only focus on the good?

People love their heroes and super-villains. In a world gone binary, the nuanced approach we favour is out of style and too taxing for many.

This also applies, of course, to people who only want to see the bad.

50-100 people in a city of 450K is a big protest?

A city half the size (Barrie) got double or more the amount of people to a protest against Monsanto a couple of years ago that a friend was an organizer for ffs.

It was big enough to get a monument taken down.

Back