• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Thanks for proving my point. Apple core business model is not to resale information unlike Google. What you quote is apple fixing a loophole and another mentioning apple Also you information remains within the apple ecosystem. Again, apple doesn’t share with 3rd party. To help Siri, yes it will gather your gps location but again, not sharing this information with 3rd parties.

As someone said below, if you use a smart phone, you have to accept them gathering some information needed core feature going. Google and the like of Facebook core business is selling your information to the highest bidder.

Again, Apple is not perfect, but if you care about privacy, it’s about the only option you have beside not using smartphones.

Apple fixed a loophole after the whole Cambridge Analytica thing, (as did Google and Facebook), but only because of the optics and potential legal response, not because they care about protecting you. They knew full well that data was being used, but did nothing, until they had to.

The other quotes speak of how someone requested all the data being collected by Apple from them, and after a long wait and some teeth pulling, got some very revealing Metadata but zero information on who got it. You can bet it wasn't just given away, either. They're not going to collect information on who you call and what you send for themselves. That's very valuable information that gathers top dollar by third parties all over. Don't think they became the tech juggernaut they are today by hoarding all that valuable info on you and your habits.

Apple fixed a loophole after the whole Cambridge Analytica thing (as did Google and Facebook), but only because of the optics and potential legal response, not because they care about protecting you. They knew full well that data was being used, but did nothing, until they had to.

The other quotes speak of how someone requested all the data being collected by Apple from them, and after a long wait and some teeth pulling, got some very revealing metadata but zero information on who got it. You can bet it wasn't just given away, either. They're not going to collect information on who you call and what you send for themselves. That's very valuable information that gathers top dollar by third parties all over. Don't think they became the tech juggernaut they are today by hoarding all that valuable info on you and your habits.

Ok so, speculation, and more speculation. So not hard fact. Thanks again.

You place intent on Apple's side that you have no idea if they are true. Can you please point me to where it was said or proven that Apple knew about the loophole and purposely didn't fix it until the Cambridge scandal?

Again, more speculation on your side regarding how they became a tech juggernaut. Please tell me what is Apple’s business model? I'll help you, they sell computers, software and electronics devices (smartphones, watches, speakers, etc). This is the reason they became the tech juggernaut they are today (while not innovating, they did some of these products better, like the smartphones business which made them the company they are today).

Can you tell me what is Google Business model? Let me help you. They do a free search engine, free email client, free social platform, free internet browser, free office suite documents, free file storage... So how can they be making all of that money and be one of the richest companies in the world? Ah right, they provide all of these "free" tools to users, then use the information by the users who used them to sell to marketing company. That's the core of their business model. And if you look what was added after, developed the Android Os for smartphones (giving them access to more information), Google assistance (let analyze what people request to that and resell that information to the marketing firm).

Now let's look at the App Store. On apple front, all app needs to be submitted for approval before showing up on the store. This includes looking for malware and scanning them for breach of privacy. I know what you will have to say, some apps did end up in the App Store that used the app to access personal information. You are right, but when these were found, they were immediately removed from the App Store. The Play store for Google, for years it was a free-for-all, no supervision by Google. Anyone could put anything in there and it could be a virus, Trojan horse and they could literally steal anything from you. At some point, Google was pressured and now they added a review process for submission. Still, it can take days for apple to review your app before approving it, it takes only hours for Google. Everyone will say Apple is a lot more strict when it comes to reviewing and approving apps VS Google.

You know partially why Siri sucks compared to Google Assitance and Alexa? It's because Whatever you ask Siri is analyzed by your device only. In Google and Alexa(Amazon) cases, every time you request something to them, your query is sent to their server farm (cloud), analyzed, recorded, and then the reply is pushed down to your phone/speaker. They can do more because they can leverage the power of their "cloud server farm" but in the process, it helps them store all that information to be analyzed and resold. Apple doesn't do this so their "siri" is more limited because your request is not sent to apple. You can read Siri's white paper document on the apple website which explains the process. I work in IT and had to deal with Google in the past to get some analytic information so although not an expert, I do know a little of what they offer and sell.

I'm sure apple do look at some of the information, but they just don't resale them as much as the others who it's their core business to do so. Apple is also levering their "privacy" as one of the main features of their product and they know they have the edge versus the competition on this. Sure, you have to be aware that some information will be captured when you use a smartphone, but as a consumer and let say I buy an apple product, I expect apple to do some of that information. But as I consumer, I "choose" apple so I accept they will see some information. On the Google side, you just don't know who will end up with your information and how it will be used.

Now let's take a look at both privacy website:

http://www.apple.com/privacy: Tell you from the get go that your information is not used, provides charter, explain how your information is protected, provide a transparency report with Goverment requests for information,etc.

Google: https://safety.google/privacy/ : Tell you straight from the get go they will be using your information and goes to tell you which one, etc.

so Trump's Syria bullshit already been completely backtracked by Bolton.

and the admin has been lying by the thousands about terror suspects bejng caught on the border, when as Chris Wallace pointed out to Sarah's face that all but a handful of those were apprehended at airports.

but of course they continue to lie through their teeth about this in what feels like the last desperate attempt to distract from the fact that the admin is completely imploding.

they even have the gall, after blatantly and loudly lying about the numbers in a massive way, to now claim that the exact number is a state secret too dangerous to reveal:

Molly O'Toole @mollymotoole
.@SecNielsen puts out a “Myth vs Fact” sheet that starts with - “The threat is real. The number of terror-watchlisted encountered at our Southern Border has increased over the last two years. The exact number is sensitive and details about these cases are extremely sensitive.” 1/

57m
So @DHS will cite, conflate & inflate statistics arguing national security crisis at border, terrorism-immigration nexus, but “exact number” is sensitive. 2/

and the admin has been lying by the thousands about terror suspects bejng caught on the border, when as Chris Wallace pointed out to Sarah's face that all but a handful of those were apprehended at airports.

but of course they continue to lie through their teeth about this in what feels like the last desperate attempt to distract from the fact that the admin is completely imploding.

they even have the gall, after blatantly and loudly lying about the numbers in a massive way, to now claim that the exact number is a state secret too dangerous to reveal:

.@SecNielsen puts out a “Myth vs Fact” sheet that starts with - “The threat is real. The number of terror-watchlisted encountered at our Southern Border has increased over the last two years. The exact number is sensitive and details about these cases are extremely sensitive.” 1/

57m
So @DHS will cite, conflate & inflate statistics arguing national security crisis at border, terrorism-immigration nexus, but “exact number” is sensitive. 2/

https://m.dw.com/en/trump-administr...sion-to-us/a-46990608?maca=en-Twitter-sharing

TOP STORIES
WORLD
AMERICAS
Trump administration downgrades EU mission to US
1h ago

The Trump administration has downgraded the diplomatic status of the European Union's delegation to the United States, an EU official has confirmed to DW. The demotion happened at the end of last year without notice.
The unannounced move by the US State Department, which has not previously been reported, downgraded the EU delegation's diplomatic status in Washington from member state to international organization.

"We don't exactly know when they did it, because they conveniently forgot to notify us," an EU official who is familiar with the matter told DW in an interview.

Carrie Budoff Brown @cbudoffbrown
New @BresPolitico @sarahnferris: Several dozen House Republicans might cross the aisle this week to vote for Democratic bills to reopen shuttered parts of the government, spurring the White House into a dramatic effort to stem GOP defections. politi.co/2FgneiH

New @BresPolitico @sarahnferris: Several dozen House Republicans might cross the aisle this week to vote for Democratic bills to reopen shuttered parts of the government, spurring the White House into a dramatic effort to stem GOP defections. politi.co/2FgneiH

DwWmQXnX0AAoaBl

57m

They repeated 4000 over and over and over again.

They missed by THIS much.

NBC News @NBCNews
NEW: US Customs and Border Protection encountered just 6 immigrants on US-Mexico border in first half of fiscal year 2018 whose names were on a federal government list of known or suspected terrorists, according to CBP data obtained by @NBCNews. nbcnews.to/2Fft3Mh

Martina Navratilova @Martina
42m
I can tell you all this for sure- whatever ridiculous propaganda we were fed in then Czechoslovakia, which was mandated by Soviet Union- pales next to the lies being told and repeated by trump and his ilk. I am not kidding…
trump truly trumps the communists. And that’s not easy

Chad Vigorous
@PrettyBadLefty
The ease at which Alexandria Ocasio Cortez basic answers fluster reporters and dictates the terms of the public discourse on policies should show you just how little the Democrats have tried over the past 4 decades.

Chad Vigorous @PrettyBadLefty
1d
It should also show you how conditioned the rank and file liberal has become to symbolic, theoretically moral victories instead of actual victories and material solutions

1d
This might be a hottake, and I do like AOC, but she is not some preternatural political genius, she is just a normal person with good politics based in her experience with material deprivation

1d
The fact that the Democratic party could not do this is at best gross incompetence and at worst enabling.

1d
No wonder they hate her, she is an constant reminder to the population that despite their mastery of the language of symbolic resistance they simply weren't trying to make things better.

1d
Dumb reporter: "How are we going to pay for [insert basic human right]"

AOC: "How do we pay for anything?"

Exactly. EXACTLY.

Sickle & HammerBro @BrianoMobile
Replying to @PrettyBadLefty
We could use more candidates who recognize politics as a series of moral choices rather than technocratic obstacles.

1d
Or even people who recognize politics as the primary method by which we solve societal problems as opposed to a game of optics and grift to enrich aligned think tanks and consultancies

1d
People really do not recognize how serious and insidious the Democratic Parties shift from a party of substantive structural programs and social reforms to a party of symbolic moral and intellectual victories was and I'm hope we are starting to shift away

1d
In summary, everyone whose job it was to do politics over the past 40 years should probably be fired

1d
Oh shit this tweet is blowing up, while I do have a Soundcloud allow me to use this space to say R Kelly is a rapist and should go to jail and I hope Louis CK only plays for crowds of 90 year old Republicans forever.

Axl Rose @axlrose
“The fools are they who enable this constitutional immorality. Those fools are the Senate Republicans, who have placed party over country, and President Trump over the Republican Party.”
Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig

damn straight, axl.

Bolton was in Turkey to meet with senior officials (including Recep Tayyip Erdogan himself) and hammer out the details, but Erdogan released a statement saying that no such agreement was even on the table and he wasn’t about to offer any sort of protection to “terrorist groups,” a category that he includes the YPG in. (Haaretz)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday the U.S. administration has made “a serious mistake” by demanding that Turkey agree to protect the United States’ Kurdish ally, the YPG militia, which Ankara views as a terrorist group. YPG’s fight against the Islamic State “is nothing but a huge lie,” he added.

Referring to comments made by U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton in Israel on Sunday, Erdogan said Turkey would not accept them, claiming they contradict a “clear agreement” he had with U.S. President Donald Trump.

“Elements of the U.S. administration are saying different things,” he said.

It’s not hard to see just how badly those meetings went. Erdogan went one step further and snubbed Bolton by refusing to take a meeting with him.

shitshow.

Wonder what erdogans clear agmt with DJT is, the circumstances under which (and when) it was agreed to...

this, if true, would be a big deal I would think.

Back