• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Eh, at least part of this is looking like Nike fighting back against avenatti bringing to light a pretty huge scandal of theirs.

Pretty sure that is the major reason (not sole but major) behind it. He went after a billion $ corp. Stupid.

Connections.

You guys are right sometimes in your mocking of the American "system". It's all predicated on money. Smollett may be black but he has enough money and fame to know the right people.

The paradigm shift that has been happening from racial to economic classes continues however the racial component still applies...

Rich and White > Rich and Minority > middle class and white > Middle class minority >poor and white > poor minority seems to be the judicial pecking order.

I'm really starting to loathe everything here. 5 more years and my youngest is in college. See ya after that.

good thing trump isn't connected.

It's a fine long term plan. The one fly in the ointment is the possibility that the next recession will be more of a long drawn out reset that erases much of the excesses in inequality and debt.

any gop attempt to reign in the record setting deficits will slow growth considerably. it's a still bubble largely built on credit.

Yeah I've considered that, though I think we would see a major attempt by the fed and Democrats to quantitatively ease the economy back to health like 08 all over again.

Regardless, I wont be diving in on day one of any economic issues, I've learned the value of proper patience, I'm not afraid to wait for what I want for a timeframe measured in years.

I heard the Fed may actually reduce interest rates this year.

Yeah I've considered that, though I think we would see a major attempt by the fed and Democrats to quantitatively ease the economy back to health like 08 all over again.

Sure but they have far less tools they did in 2009. Rates are almost zero. And the balance sheet is already yuge.

BTW, quite a reversal in the markets today. Gold is the the "I hate central banks" play.

any gop attempt to reign in the record setting deficits will slow growth considerably. it's a still bubble largely built on credit.

They have no intention of balancing a budget to the point of deficit reduction. Nobody in Washington cares. Spend spend spend. The next politician that pretends to care about the deficit should be tar and feathered.

They have no intention of balancing a budget to the point of deficit reduction. Nobody in Washington cares. Spend spend spend. The next politician that pretends to care about the deficit should be tar and feathered.

Kicking the can down the road is fine.....until, one day it isn't.

in the last 30yrs, every dem potus has seen the deficit reduced, every gop potus has seen the deficit increased - by a lot.

in the last 30yrs, every dem potus has seen the deficit reduced, every gop potus has seen the deficit increased - by a lot.

But not the National Debt, which is actually what I was thinking about.

Nobody cares about it. Nobody wants to fix the deficit in order to bring down the National Debt. When this asshat is done it will be astronomical and all we'll have to show for it are fancy new missiles, planes and weapons. Oh and the Space Force, let's not forget the Darth Vader dream now.

Michael Avenatti is a Criminal Thug Loser™ who tried to hijack the righteous anti-Trump movement for his own personal gain. His pitiful scam did not work and now he is in legal jeopardy once again. As a Democrat, this manipulative narcissist is not welcome in my party. We must demand better.

make that 40yrs

all figures as percentage of DP

Carter Inherited: either 1976 3.9% or 1977 2.5%
Carter Left with: either 1980 2.6% or 1981 2.4% (-1.3/-0.1)

Reagan Inherited: either 1980 2.6% or 1981 2.4%
Reagan Left with: either 1988 2.9% or 1989 2.7% (+0.3/+0.3)

Bush Inherieted: either 1988 2.9% or 1989 2.7%
Bush Left with: either 1992 4.4% or 1993 3.7% (+1.5/+1.0)

Clinton Inherited: either 1992 4.4% or 1993 3.7%
Clinton Left with: either 2000 -2.3% or 2001 -1.2% (-6.7/-4.9)

Bush Inherited: either 2000 -2.3% or 2001 -1.2%
Bush Left with: either 2008 3.1% or 2009 9.8% (+5.4/+11.0)

Obama Inherited: either 2008 3.1% or 2009 9.8%
Obama Left with: either 2016 3.1% or 2017 3.4% (0.0/-6.2)

Trump Inherited: either 2016 3.1% or 2017 3.4%
Trump Already At: 2018 4.0% or 2019 - on pace to beat that by a healthy margin (+0.9/+1.0?)

amazing!

#BOTHSIDES

make that 40yrs

all figures as percentage of DP

Carter Inherited: either 1976 3.9% or 1977 2.5%
Carter Left with: either 1980 2.6% or 1981 2.4%

Reagan Inherited: either 1980 2.6% or 1981 2.4%
Reagan Left with: either 1988 2.9% or 1989 2.7%

Bush Inherieted: either 1988 2.9% or 1989 2.7%
Bush Left with: either 1992 4.4% or 1993 3.7%

Clinton Inherited: either 1992 4.4% or 1993 3.7%
Clinton Left with: either 2000 -2.3% or 2001 -1.2%

Bush Inherited: either 2000 -2.3% or 2001 -1.2%
Bush Left with: either 2008 3.1% or 2009 9.8%

Obama Inherited: either 2008 3.1% or 2009 9.8%
Obama Left with: either 2016 3.1% or 2017 3.4%

Trump Inherited: either 2016 3.1% or 2017 3.4%
Trump Already At: 2018 4.0% or 2019 - on pace to beat that by a healthy margin

amazing!

#BOTHSIDES

One party demilitarizes, the other remilitarizes. Seems to be the cycle over the past 40 years. Do you have numbers on defense spending for those Presidents? I'm curious to see the discrepancy.

But not the National Debt, which is actually what I was thinking about.

Nobody cares about it. Nobody wants to fix the deficit in order to bring down the National Debt. When this asshat is done it will be astronomical and all we'll have to show for it are fancy new missiles, planes and weapons. Oh and the Space Force, let's not forget the Darth Vader dream now.

the national debt actually isn't important. the deficit to gdp ratio is, though.

but only the republicans make their lie about caring about the national debt a primary plank in their belief system.

VROOM VROOM! I'm Michael Avenatti, the celebrity lawyer and F1 race car driver! Although I've had success on the track, I am now crashing and burning in the real world.

**** you, Michael Avenatti. Enjoy burning in HECK.

the national debt actually isn't important. the deficit to gdp ratio is, though.

but only the republicans make their lie about caring about the national debt a primary plank in their belief system.

They're full of shit.

I don't like saddling my kids with interest payments on a ridiculous debt. I get that it isn't as important as the deficit but the interest payment on the debt is incorporated into the deficit budget and just increases the deficit.

They're full of shit.

I don't like saddling my kids with interest payments on a ridiculous debt. I get that it isn't as important as the deficit but the interest payment on the debt is incorporated into the deficit budget and just increases the deficit.

the interest payments are already calculated in the deficit. don't double count them.

Back