• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Binge watching Netflix original, Atypical this weekend. I don't watch a lot of half hour comedies these days, but this is really good.

Figured I’d watch the latest Men in Black.

Surprised to say...I kinda liked it! Definitely way way more than the originals.

With a title like 1917, you kinda expect something about the first world war ... particularly that the story takes place on the battlefield. Yet, there is barely a hint of anything about what made that war what it was. The story could have been set in any war -- Vietnam, Afghanistan, whatever.

Anyone get the significance of 1917 in any of this? Something world historical did happen that year but it didn't involve some guy running the gauntlet to prevent one of the regular blood letting the generals were so fond of executing.

With a title like 1917, you kinda expect something about the first world war ... particularly that the story takes place on the battlefield. Yet, there is barely a hint of anything about what made that war what it was. The story could have been set in any war -- Vietnam, Afghanistan, whatever.

Anyone get the significance of 1917 in any of this? Something world historical did happen that year but it didn't involve some guy running the gauntlet to prevent one of the regular blood letting the generals were so fond of executing.
Isn't it somewhat based on a true story?

Seemed like a pretty personal story, with no commentary on the war as a whole other than that war is hell.

I haven't seen the movie but I did find it a little funny that, in the trailer at least, they seem to attach a lot of dramatic significance to the fact that 1600 soldiers are going to die if the messengers don't get through.

This in a war where it wasn't particularly remarkable for a country to suffer losses in the 10's of thousands in a single day.

Watched the first episode of Star Trek: Picard

it has some promise
I felt oddly geeked about its premiere and thoroughly enjoyed it. Love the showing hints of what’s happened since we last saw him and how it’s all going to tie in. He’s always been my favorite Captain. Yes. I know. Heresy.

Back