• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The M-Fing Food Thread

Parsniphobia!

They're a ton of ways to prep them and almost all of them delicious. They are a bit too sweet, however, and so have too much carbs.

Semi off topic but figure at least Mindzeye will be an expert.

Who grows veggies and what do you grow?

Got a 34' x 4' plot this year for various veggies (some I'll grow for myself but the bulk will be donated to community programs). Any tips?

Anyway if you have a lot of sun where you're growing I highly highly recommend tomatoes. I have a very high success rate growing that shit but you absolutely need a lot of sunlight to get er done. And nothing compares to garden tomatoes. Very easy to grow. Low maintenance. Just need sun and lots of it.

I grow kale, lettuces, yellow and green onion, radicchio, peppers, tomato, green beans, etc..

No expert. Pal who does a lot more than I showed me some tricks on using space -- namely using big burlap bags, bins rather than a plot. Gives a lot more flexibility on finding the right sun (yard is only about 50% exposed).

Anyway if you have a lot of sun where you're growing I highly highly recommend tomatoes. I have a very high success rate growing that shit but you absolutely need a lot of sunlight to get er done. And nothing compares to garden tomatoes. Very easy to grow. Low maintenance. Just need sun and lots of it.

Plot gets full sun fortunately. Hoping for lots of tomatoes.

I don’t currently have the required sunlight, so my ambitions are small. Last summer, I grew the following from seed (which is very satisfying)

cherry tomatoes, basil, coriander, parsley, arugula

I particularly like having herbs perpetually “on tap”, zero waste compared to buying bunches with a short shelf life from the store.

And I was initially skeptical about these fabric pots, but they have won me over, easy to move around and they drain very well

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...baskets/fabric/69037-fabric-pots-and-planters

So far I've got seeds for rainbow swiss chard, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, basil, beets, radishes, carrots.

Particularly like the fabric bag idea to grow certain things on the patio and save some space in the plot. Thanks guys.

Back