• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

da_next_kid

MLSE has only paid luxury tax 3 times since it was introduced, and only once in the last 10 years (championship year). Which is crazy because we've done all our winning in the last 5-6 years.

Masai is rightfully calling MLSE out for being cheap. This team is run like we're a mid-market team, there's no way we are not top 10 in revenue generated.

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
This definitely makes more sense now. Masai wants to stay but he wants to win and knows that consistently spending makes us more attractive around the league, makes us more likely to win another chip and really become a premiere organization.

zeke

Grizz up 20 over the spurs after one quarter.

Jonas and Demar head to head in a playoffs game.

Demar: 0pts (0%), 0rb, 1ast/1to
Jonas: 12pts (71%), 9rb, 1ast/0to

zeke

Oh shit grizz bench gave up the whole 20pt lead. Still grizz by 7 at the half tho.

Jonas: 16pts (78%), 15rb, 1ast/0to
Demar: 6pts (9%), 2rb, 1ast/1to

zeke

A cool 22% shooting night for demar in an elimination game, with as many turnovers as assists.

Jonas beasts with 23 and 23 and 3 blocks.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
This definitely makes more sense now. Masai wants to stay but he wants to win and knows that consistently spending makes us more attractive around the league, makes us more likely to win another chip and really become a premiere organization.

I think he’s confident MLSE will spend into the luxury tax when a chip is on the line.

My take was that he wants the org to spend $$ on leading edge initiatives that he’s thought about but has not revealed.

This was the money quote.

“Listen, this is a copycat league,” Ujiri said, “and we’re not trying to be copycat.”

He mentioned that MLSE already has done a lot... Practice Faciity, G-League, Drake, top $ for coaching and medical staff

my question is will MLSE pony up? They are in an odd situation...the Leafs are obviously their crown jewel but the Raptors require more $$ to push their league forward.

It’s fairly inexpensive to be innovative in the NHL (hire Barb Underhill and a few nerds)... much harder to do in a world class league like the NBA. Will MLSE dedicate the money?

I would hope MLSE realizes the Raptors brand has way more potential globally than the Leafs (the world doesn’t care about hockey) but I also fear their ambition might not be as high as Masai’s.