• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

How does Nate Diaz survive for three years without a UFC pay cheque?

He got paid for the Conor rematch. Something in the range of 2 million is what I've heard.

And the HOW does he get a monster pay day out of the cold?

eh? He only got paid 250K for slapping Pettis around. This Masvidal fight was kind of like a reward for both Diaz and Jorge drawing legit numbers in previous fights. No numbers have been released that I'm aware of but Jorge is probably in the 500-750K range and Diaz probably in the 750K-1 million range + PPV points for both.

Diaz is the type of guy who fights until he is dead. Wow. maybe the best one sentence perspective I have ever read. And yeah, never really thought of it that way. The guy probably would die. And whom of us would do that in a fight when things go bad and at times, terribly wrong?

Only guys that lived a long, long time ago.

And how does Marsvidal pay for such a talented and large entourage? Hopefully he isn't as dumb as I was, when I had millions and too many "friends".

Millionaires can become nillionaires, and fast.

Masvidal isn't paying anything for an entourage, he doesn't have that kind of cheddar. Anyone around him is doing it for cheap or free.

Yeah, in the light of day with the adrenaline having subsided... it was a good stoppage. I was really looking forward to the 4th and 5th rounds last night.

Probably why he made such a big deal about buying them expensive custom tailored suits. lol.

Yeah, he's not throwing fuck you money around. It wasn't that long ago that he was saying in interviews that he was just trying to get college money for his kids, and that's what he was fighting for. From what I've read, with bonuses, he did just over 200K for the Till fight, about 300K for starching Askren and no confirmation on dollars for the Diaz fight, but headliners are usually in the 500K and up range plus PPV points. So he's had a good year in the ring.

Outside of the ring he's got 1.1 million IG subs, and by the look of his feed, deals with Pokerstars, A CBD company, a Mezcal company, a meal prep company. He's probably getting 1-2K per promo post from each of those (maybe more, his fanbase engagement is a lot higher than most "influencers"). He's got 139K youtube subs but he does bonkers view numbers and he's video teams posts regularly. Rule of thumb for YT is 5 USD per 1000 views and he's regularly cracking 300K views (with a couple videos in the 3+ million range) and he's posting almost a video a day (whoever his social media consultant is, knows their shit and is worth every penny he's paying them). If I had to put a rough number on it, I'd say he's doing 3-4K a week in social media revenue.

Also looks like he does a fair amount of public appearances (and he's probably worth about 5K for a celeb drop in appearance) and he looks to be doing a couple of those a month.

So yeah, he's making the most of his somewhat new found fame and he's having a hell of a year for a guy who was throwing knuckles around on the backyard fighting circuit back in the day.

what do you figure Nate makes, has made etc?

Sorry champ, I missed this

Nate was on a terrible deal earlier in his career (60/60 I think...so 60K to show, 60K to win), it wasn't until the first McGregor fight where he made decent money. I think I remember reading that he made 250K plus points. Now, Nate has always had a big underground fight fan following so he's probably been able to monetize that over the years, with sponsorships, appearances, etc.

For the second McGregor fight he made 500K plus points, and then again 500K plus points for this fight with Masvidal from what I've read. Throw in the reebok deal money as a veterans and he's probably done a couple of million over the last few years. But yeah, these MMA cats don't make big bank until they're at the top and even then, it's kind of soft money compared to other pro sports.

Ha, thanks bro.. Kinda almost makes me like the Irishman... Almost.

These guys really are modern day gladiators.... Say hi to Ference and Paul Marner I suppose.....

But our basketball guys meanwhile, take in some serious bake... But wow..... No face guards, and the pounding seeing Anunoby take what he took by Kawhi last night. I sorta want to see Oakley play a game against Kawhi for that one.

Ha, thanks bro.. Kinda almost makes me like the Irishman... Almost.

These guys really are modern day gladiators.... Say hi to Ference and Paul Marner I suppose.....

But our basketball guys meanwhile, take in some serious bake... But wow..... No face guards, and the pounding seeing Anunoby take what he took by Kawhi last night. I sorta want to see Oakley play a game against Kawhi for that one.
What?

I'm kind of torn on Mac. On one hand he gamed the system hard, and then bent the UFC over when it was time to negotiate over fights. He played their game and won in a way no one else ever did.

On the other hand, when he was at the peak of his earnings power with the UFC, he had the ability to change everything. There was a fighters union being discussed at the time and had he jumped in, not only would have he continued making an assload of money, he would have dragged the rest of the fight world with him. The current structure is a joke, and the reebok deal makes it worse. It's gotta go at some point. A guy can be a high end, top 5 fighter for years, and never see more than a 150-200K payday. For the type of money the UFC is making, that's fucking terrible.

I'm kind of torn on Mac. On one hand he gamed the system hard, and then bent the UFC over when it was time to negotiate over fights. He played their game and won in a way no one else ever did.

On the other hand, when he was at the peak of his earnings power with the UFC, he had the ability to change everything. There was a fighters union being discussed at the time and had he jumped in, not only would have he continued making an assload of money, he would have dragged the rest of the fight world with him. The current structure is a joke, and the reebok deal makes it worse. It's gotta go at some point. A guy can be a high end, top 5 fighter for years, and never see more than a 150-200K payday. For the type of money the UFC is making, that's fucking terrible.

As usual, a great post. He did have that power and took the dough for himself. Its why, a lotta guys would love to have fifteen to twenty five with him.

Imo.

Aside from it being their own personal red panty night, getting a once in a career pay day....yeah, some of the hard core pro union fighters aren't Mac fans.

Nobody was surprised when the two biggest names that supported talk of the union, saw their pay scale go up a bunch in 2016 (Mac, and Cerrone). Dana has systemically under promoted any fighter who was pro union.

Wilder with the most Wilder win ever tonight. Gets out boxed by Ortiz steady for 6 rounds. Probably down 6-0 on all 3 cards

Boom, one shot. Off to another dimension with you.

Wilder said this in post fight

"You have to be perfect for 12 rounds, I have to be perfect for 1 second." Fuck me is he ever right. He didn't even chin Ortiz. If you watch a few different angles of the replay that are available online, he punches Ortiz in the forehead.

Disgusting power.

Do we see Joshua redeem himself in a couple weeks?

I would imagine so. Ruiz is a great story and has legit good hands, but a lazy unprepared Joshua gave him big problems until he got Joshua slipping. I say that with the proviso that Joshua has consistently been there to get hit over his career and could get caught slipping again.

I do want to see Wilder get jabbed out for 10 rounds before sending Joshua into orbit though.

Back