• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Random thoughts after 11 games (No tl;dr version)

GGpX

Just a bunch of random thoughts, some that could use a little more elaboration but it's late and I'm tired.

-Before the season, I had the Habs coming in third in this division behind Toronto & Vancouver. I still think Toronto's going to win the division, but I don't think it's as clear cut as before the season started and I think so far we're clearly, at the very worst, the second best team in this division. Vancouver is a shit show and they're going to be arm-in-arm with Ottawa & Edmonton to help players in this division pad their stats year round.

-I don't know if the Habs are really, really good or just in a really bad division that has collectively agreed to be allergic to defense. I really wish we had Bawstun or Tampa Bay to play against 8 or 9 times.

-But even if the division sucks, I don't care. Makes it easier to get to the semi-finals. At the very least, we'll have a playoff round against a new team. For the first time in my lifetime, we might have a playoff round against Toronto and I'm all in for it.

-I view this season similarly to the 2012, lockout shortened season. I'm not going to draw any long-term conclusions on any player based solely on this season. Some players are going to be a lot better or a lot worse than usually before returning to their norm next season.

-The more I watch him play and the more I think about it, the more I wonder... When Joel Armia's back from his concussion and let's assume the forward group is healthy, I think the player to take out of the line-up in Drouin. Drouin's numbers are nice, but they're completely unremarkable to me. I'll see his statsheet and see his points, but I rarely remember him having a real impact on a game. When I watch Anderson, I notice how he can create space by using his size and win puck battles because of it. I watch Toffoli play and I see how smart & responsible he is with the puck. I see more from them than their point totals on a statsheet. I watch Drouin play and I see someone that avoids contact. He's the only player in the whole team that avoids physical play. There are too many times when he tries plays that lead to nothing. Will he be taken out of the lineup, I strongly doubt it. It's probably going to be either Byron or Perry. But I'm not sure I'd take either of those two out for Armia...

-The player that's impressed me the most so far this season is Jake Evans. I didn't see this coming. Last year he looked like a player that could possibly be a rotational guy, useful depth that was possibly a minor upgrade from the Matthew Peca types that we had. Now he looks like a real solid 4th line center. The talk of him being Danault's replacement is premature and pretty silly if you ask me. At the same age, Danault had a hair under 200 total NHL games and had already a 40 point season under his belt.

-I don't get the whining about Price's contract. Every single one of you didn't want to trade him when he was at the peak of his abilities. All of you wanted him signed and were happy when we did, I was one of the rare exceptions. I know there are some of you that constantly bring it up that Price isn't playing like a $10.5M goalie, like you have the winning combination to the lottery or you're vegans and just want to tell the world or something. Newsflash: Everybody here knows that Price's contract sucks and he'll never live up to it. Cool, now that we got that out of the way, let's be honest with ourselves. He hasn't been good this year, the numbers speak for themself. But can some of you please spare everyone else this bullshit that because he has the biggest goalie contract in the league, Price is supposed to stop everything, even the shots Jake Allen lets in when Price isn't playing? We get it, he's overpaid. But if some of you (hi xposbrad) want to hold fraudulent positions that Price should have stopped all of those goals Toronto let in during the season opener. Check the highlights here: https://www.dtmts.com/video/p1GOb7tvWeo and tell me which of those goals Vasilevski, Varlamov, Hart, Markstrom, etc. are stopping. Hint: Maybe the overtime goal if they're lucky. The rest of those are getting scored on every other goalie in the league.

-Part 1 - My opinion of The Charlatan hasn't changed much since the beginning of this year. The biggest organizational problem before he got here (drafting & development) is still a glaring problem 9 years later. The development aspect is greatly improved since Joel Bouchard arrived, but he kept his buddy in the minors for years after it was apparent he wasn't the man for the job. Trevor Timmins is still in the organization and holds a different title, but he's still the head of the amateur scouting staff and has final word. My opinion on drafting has changed a bit over the years; I think that when you're drafting 18 year olds and you're not drafting at the very top of the draft, luck has more to do with it than actual skill. But even then, there are some people who are hitting at a much higher frequency with their draft picks and some who consistently don't. We haven't done that much to improve that much in my eyes.

-Part 2 - I'm still not sure what the plan was during the period of 2012 to 2020. Build through the draft? Abject failure. Win with free agents? Didn't want to spend the money or when he did, players like Lucic signed for less in Deadmonton (More on that later). Ice a team and hope that Price stands on his head? I think his plan can be honestly summed up as, if the Habs don't make some noise in 2021, he's out of a job. The contracts he's given out, aside from Pacioretty's contract when he just got here and Petry's first deal, haven't been great.

-Part 3 - What The Charlatan deserves the most credit for is his decision making in terms of trades at the pro level. While he has made some mistakes, his trades have been mostly net positive for us. Trading Rinat Valiev & Matt Taormina (who haven't played a game in the NHL since) for Brett Kulak? Kulak might not be the best d-man in the world, but he's a regular NHLer, that's A+ asset management. Getting Dale Weise for Raphael Diaz, who ended up being a useful third liner during his best years in the league and then trading Weise + Flesichmann for Danault & a 2nd that we used for Romanov? That's A+++ asset management, one of the great trades of the last 10 years. Trading Pacioretty to Las Vegas? A+ asset management, another all-timer. He might have gotten a little lucky with Vegas because we wanted Cody Glass but Vegas would only let us have Suzuki, so we "settled" on him.

-Part 4 - Does anyone think we'd be better off with Max Pacioretty on the wing instead of Suzuki? Does anyone here think we'd be better off right now had we traded Price for a similar package? Idem with Gallagher? I do think that over the long run, The Charlatan's loyalty to some will end up getting him fired.

-Part 5 - Unless he wins the Cup this year or the next, in which case, who gives a shit?

-I'm dead serious when I this, but those blue jerseys were fucking ugly. Like, really, really ugly.

Always need to keep in mind, Habs drafting record post-Gainey pick in 1973 has been putrid, yes there have been exceptions - 1984, 2007 etc. That’s 43-drafts, spanning 8-GMs...

Yankee GM Brian Cashman once said “being reliant on amateur drafting & development is not suitable for the demands & pressure of our (NY) marketplace”, despite Gene Michael having taken years patiently building the late 90s dynasty via amateur drafting & development. What Cashman was getting at was “patience” - neither Pig-Stein or fans had it which inevitably leads to shortsightedness - it’s a double edge sword, that lack of patience is what keeps the org profitable & solvent as a business.

The pandemic saved MBs job, for years players wanted nothing to do w Mtl (for an myriad of reasons), now Habs are about the only game in town w $ and players are left with little choice.

Last edited:
Just a bunch of random thoughts, some that could use a little more elaboration but it's late and I'm tired.

-Before the season, I had the Habs coming in third in this division behind Toronto & Vancouver. I still think Toronto's going to win the division, but I don't think it's as clear cut as before the season started and I think so far we're clearly, at the very worst, the second best team in this division. Vancouver is a shit show and they're going to be arm-in-arm with Ottawa & Edmonton to help players in this division pad their stats year round.

-I don't know if the Habs are really, really good or just in a really bad division that has collectively agreed to be allergic to defense. I really wish we had Bawstun or Tampa Bay to play against 8 or 9 times.

-But even if the division sucks, I don't care. Makes it easier to get to the semi-finals. At the very least, we'll have a playoff round against a new team. For the first time in my lifetime, we might have a playoff round against Toronto and I'm all in for it.

-I view this season similarly to the 2012, lockout shortened season. I'm not going to draw any long-term conclusions on any player based solely on this season. Some players are going to be a lot better or a lot worse than usually before returning to their norm next season.

-The more I watch him play and the more I think about it, the more I wonder... When Joel Armia's back from his concussion and let's assume the forward group is healthy, I think the player to take out of the line-up in Drouin. Drouin's numbers are nice, but they're completely unremarkable to me. I'll see his statsheet and see his points, but I rarely remember him having a real impact on a game. When I watch Anderson, I notice how he can create space by using his size and win puck battles because of it. I watch Toffoli play and I see how smart & responsible he is with the puck. I see more from them than their point totals on a statsheet. I watch Drouin play and I see someone that avoids contact. He's the only player in the whole team that avoids physical play. There are too many times when he tries plays that lead to nothing. Will he be taken out of the lineup, I strongly doubt it. It's probably going to be either Byron or Perry. But I'm not sure I'd take either of those two out for Armia...

-The player that's impressed me the most so far this season is Jake Evans. I didn't see this coming. Last year he looked like a player that could possibly be a rotational guy, useful depth that was possibly a minor upgrade from the Matthew Peca types that we had. Now he looks like a real solid 4th line center. The talk of him being Danault's replacement is premature and pretty silly if you ask me. At the same age, Danault had a hair under 200 total NHL games and had already a 40 point season under his belt.

-I don't get the whining about Price's contract. Every single one of you didn't want to trade him when he was at the peak of his abilities. All of you wanted him signed and were happy when we did, I was one of the rare exceptions. I know there are some of you that constantly bring it up that Price isn't playing like a $10.5M goalie, like you have the winning combination to the lottery or you're vegans and just want to tell the world or something. Newsflash: Everybody here knows that Price's contract sucks and he'll never live up to it. Cool, now that we got that out of the way, let's be honest with ourselves. He hasn't been good this year, the numbers speak for themself. But can some of you please spare everyone else this bullshit that because he has the biggest goalie contract in the league, Price is supposed to stop everything, even the shots Jake Allen lets in when Price isn't playing? We get it, he's overpaid. But if some of you (hi xposbrad) want to hold fraudulent positions that Price should have stopped all of those goals Toronto let in during the season opener. Check the highlights here: https://www.dtmts.com/video/p1GOb7tvWeo and tell me which of those goals Vasilevski, Varlamov, Hart, Markstrom, etc. are stopping. Hint: Maybe the overtime goal if they're lucky. The rest of those are getting scored on every other goalie in the league.

-Part 1 - My opinion of The Charlatan hasn't changed much since the beginning of this year. The biggest organizational problem before he got here (drafting & development) is still a glaring problem 9 years later. The development aspect is greatly improved since Joel Bouchard arrived, but he kept his buddy in the minors for years after it was apparent he wasn't the man for the job. Trevor Timmins is still in the organization and holds a different title, but he's still the head of the amateur scouting staff and has final word. My opinion on drafting has changed a bit over the years; I think that when you're drafting 18 year olds and you're not drafting at the very top of the draft, luck has more to do with it than actual skill. But even then, there are some people who are hitting at a much higher frequency with their draft picks and some who consistently don't. We haven't done that much to improve that much in my eyes.

-Part 2 - I'm still not sure what the plan was during the period of 2012 to 2020. Build through the draft? Abject failure. Win with free agents? Didn't want to spend the money or when he did, players like Lucic signed for less in Deadmonton (More on that later). Ice a team and hope that Price stands on his head? I think his plan can be honestly summed up as, if the Habs don't make some noise in 2021, he's out of a job. The contracts he's given out, aside from Pacioretty's contract when he just got here and Petry's first deal, haven't been great.

-Part 3 - What The Charlatan deserves the most credit for is his decision making in terms of trades at the pro level. While he has made some mistakes, his trades have been mostly net positive for us. Trading Rinat Valiev & Matt Taormina (who haven't played a game in the NHL since) for Brett Kulak? Kulak might not be the best d-man in the world, but he's a regular NHLer, that's A+ asset management. Getting Dale Weise for Raphael Diaz, who ended up being a useful third liner during his best years in the league and then trading Weise + Flesichmann for Danault & a 2nd that we used for Romanov? That's A+++ asset management, one of the great trades of the last 10 years. Trading Pacioretty to Las Vegas? A+ asset management, another all-timer. He might have gotten a little lucky with Vegas because we wanted Cody Glass but Vegas would only let us have Suzuki, so we "settled" on him.

-Part 4 - Does anyone think we'd be better off with Max Pacioretty on the wing instead of Suzuki? Does anyone here think we'd be better off right now had we traded Price for a similar package? Idem with Gallagher? I do think that over the long run, The Charlatan's loyalty to some will end up getting him fired.

-Part 5 - Unless he wins the Cup this year or the next, in which case, who gives a shit?

-I'm dead serious when I this, but those blue jerseys were fucking ugly. Like, really, really ugly.

Gally should of been moved for a Suzuki type haul . Trading has been Nero`s A grade

Price got overpaid but no one was going 12x 7 that UFA offseason

We paid him a year in advance of his terrible season which would of affected his UFA salary and term

There was no need to grossly overpay , no team came close to going higher than that Lunquist contract for many years .

Last edited:
Always need to keep in mind, Habs drafting record post-Gainey pick in 1973 has been putrid, yes there have been exceptions - 1984, 2007 etc. That’s 43-drafts, spanning 8-GMs...

Yankee GM Brian Cashman once said “being reliant on amateur drafting & development is not suitable for the demands & pressure of our (NY) marketplace”, despite Gene Michael having taken years patiently building the late 90s dynasty via amateur drafting & development. What Cashman was getting at was “patience” - neither Pig-Stein or fans had it which inevitably leads to shortsightedness - it’s a double edge sword, that lack of patience is what keeps the org profitable & solvent as a business.

The pandemic saved MBs job, for years players wanted nothing to do w Mtl (for an myriad of reasons), now Habs are about the only game in town w $ and players are left with little choice.

The Suzuki trade saved his ass . None of this happens without the emergence of a #1C

Tatar produces like Max , best Habs trade in decades .

As much as the pandemic helps us its not as if we landed Pietro or any top dog in the future .

TT is a nice player but not this good . Josh was a trade where we handed him a 7 year deal …..term very few were going to make

We overpaid for a 5th D with Joel …..he came because we offered the extra year or 2

Next season we are capped out unless we dump Dano, Armia , and Tatar knowing we have to dish out about 8-9 to retain our 2 young centers .

There is more cap gymnastics to do

Last edited:
Nice read. Only issue is your statement "Every single one of you didn't want to trade him (Price) when he was at the peak of his abilities."

I think some of us would have been onside with such a trade. I had more issue with the Subban trade, which it appears, was not the end of Bergevin after all. That's another story.

Gally's contract will hurt in last few years but there was some hype among the fans to bring him back just like Price, and i don't agree with you about most fans were willing to bring Price back even at 10.5. That is not correct.
Regarding sitting Drouin when Armia is back, well it won't happened, i get your point and i agree with but as long as he is putting up points it won't happen.
Also we need Danault to produce, contract or whatever shit the reason is, he is not the same player as previous years, you can't rely on two rookies C to help you go far in playoff, his lack of producing already hurting this team.
I am not yet convinced this team has everything to make a good run in playoff, our division is too weak.

Yes, the division certainly seems crappier than most thought it would be. Could change if all the other divisions keep coming down with COVID issues. Currently only three (Tor, Mon, Winn) look like anything other than crap. I thought Vanc would win the division, followed by the said three.

No interdivision play is really making it hard to identify the quality of the team, as was pointed out.

Also with Perry getting his 9 games soon, seems like the plan is and should be to get rid of Byron, you can't have 3.5M for 3 more years on your 4th line in salary cap world and he is getting old(32).
He won't score 20 goals anymore but teams like Oilers and Sens probably need depth on their 3rd, so if he could land us 3rd, 4th or 5th rounders Berg should go for it

Last edited:
I’d be shocked if Danault & Tatar are not goners at latest by end of the season...that’s what close to $8M in cap space freed up?

CC is going to replace Tatars spot in the lineup at ELC price tag - FWIW, McGuire was going on & on yesterday about how Caufield is NHL ready.

Habs will lose one of Allen, Chiarot or Edmundson in expansion draft, that’s another $3.5M - $4.35M freed up. Also, next season is Chiarot’s UFA year if Seattle doesn’t take him, I don’t see him being re-upped by MB.

As things return to normalcy, so will established player appetites for not wanting to sign / waive trade clauses for Habs. Cap will be the least of Habs concerns.

The Suzuki trade saved his ass . None of this happens without the emergence of a #1C

Tatar produces like Max , best Habs trade in decades .

As much as the pandemic helps us its not as if we landed Pietro or any top dog in the future .

TT is a nice player but not this good . Josh was a trade where we handed him a 7 year deal …..term very few were going to make

We overpaid for a 5th D with Joel …..he came because we offered the extra year or 2

Next season we are capped out unless we dump Dano, Armia , and Tatar knowing we have to dish out about 8-9 to retain our 2 young centers .

There is more cap gymnastics to do
Without pandemic Bruins or another US based team finds a way to land Anderson & resign him to his deal. Some US team matches TTs contract at a minimum which means he’s not a Habs, Perry is here because no one else wanted him.

Dominoes didn’t exist last off-season simply because of next to zero demand.

I’d be shocked if Danault & Tatar are not goners at latest by end of the season...that’s what close to $8M in cap space freed up?

CC is going to replace Tatars spot in the lineup at ELC price tag - FWIW, McGuire was going on & on yesterday about how Caufield is NHL ready.

Habs will lose one of Allen, Chiarot or Edmundson in expansion draft, that’s another $3.5M - $4.35M freed up. Also, next season is Chiarot’s UFA year if Seattle doesn’t take him, I don’t see him being re-upped by MB.

As things return to normalcy, so will established player appetites for not wanting to sign / waive trade clauses for Habs. Cap will be the least of Habs concerns.
Or you can make Byron available for seattle

Without pandemic Bruins or another US based team finds a way to land Anderson & resign him to his deal. Some US team matches TTs contract at a minimum which means he’s not a Habs, Perry is here because no one else wanted him.

Dominoes didn’t exist last off-season simply because of next to zero demand.

Boston saved 8 mil dumping Chara and Krug and didn't have to spend 3.3 on Craig Smith

Them and others could of easily traded for Josh Anderson and inked him …… it was our 7 year term that got him

Plenty of USA teams had the cap for TT ….if we stupidly overpaid him that's one thing..... 4.2 mil was easily digestible from other teams .

Wings signed a boatload of trash … TT was easily affordable

TT could of easily been overpaid in the first week of the UFA season . Players/agents went looking for the jugular and didn't find it and changed paths to take what was available . Nero waited patiently for the right opportunity .

Boston saved 8 mil dumping Chara and Krug and didn't have to spend 3.3 on Craig Smith

Them and others could of easily traded for Josh Anderson and inked him …… it was our 7 year term that got him

Plenty of USA teams had the cap for TT ….if we stupidly overpaid him that's one thing..... 4.2 mil was easily digestible from other teams .

Wings signed a boatload of trash … TT was easily affordable

TT could of easily been overpaid in the first week of the UFA season . Players/agents went looking for the jugular and didn't find it and changed paths to take what was available . Nero waited patiently for the right opportunity .
Aaron Portzline reported CBJ was offering the exact same length, Habs only offered $500K more. 7-years was the going price - like it or not.

It wasn’t a matter of US teams having cap space, there were mandates from owners of US teams to restrict spending...clear as day

Aaron Portzline reported CBJ was offering the exact same length, Habs only offered $500K more. 7-years was the going price - like it or not.

It wasn’t a matter of US teams having cap space, there were mandates from owners of US teams to restrict spending...clear as day

My point is Covid was not the only reason we got our players .

With the turmoil with Josh and the team had he wasn't signing there . Nero knew the optics and made it happen .

Other teams chose to play out of the sandbox .

My point is Covid was not the only reason we got our players .

With the turmoil with Josh and the team had he wasn't signing there . Nero knew the optics and made it happen .

Other teams chose to play out of the sandbox .
US GMs didn’t chose...they were given orders by their bosses not to play, which left only MB with his bag of $. That series of events doesn’t occur without pandemic.

US GMs didn’t chose...they were given orders by their bosses not to play, which left only MB with his bag of $. That series of events doesn’t occur without pandemic.

USA teams spent money , they were ordered not to spend like drunks

In a normal season Hoffman and TT get overpaid and 2 years later they are on the trading block .

We won the " the fair contract " UFA offers .

His contract was very affordable in week 1 if not for agent/player looking for the home run

So that's when you were really tired?!?

😳

Good read, not much to argue with.

Toffoli contract is bargain, also always wondered, despite the current situation, why Hoffman couldn't get a long deal and money, even though he may get next season..

USA teams spent money , they were ordered not to spend like drunks

In a normal season Hoffman and TT get overpaid and 2 years later they are on the trading block .

We won the " the fair contract " UFA offers .

His contract was very affordable in week 1 if not for agent/player looking for the home run
GMs didn’t all of a sudden understand how to refrain from their ingrained spending habits....the catalyst was their boss cutting off their balls except for VGK one major move which was aided and abetted by Peter-angelos wife wanting to stay in warmer US locales

Anyway I’m done with flogging a dead horse, otherwise CH1 won’t give me that special deal on the reverse retro jersey and Habsy won’t cough up the coin for a friend in need....🤭

Reactions: CH1
Toffoli contract is bargain, also always wondered, despite the current situation, why Hoffman couldn't get a long deal and money, even though he may get next season..
I'm starting to wonder if MB shouldn't have gone after Hoffman. He scores a ton on the PP and that's what we need. He was willing to go for a one year deal too.

Back