• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Sinclair/Ballys/ESPN/TNT ... broadcasting access, tips and notes

I have only two words to share today: F*CK Spectrum!

OK, a few more words...

As I've shared here before, I have been really happy with the move I made five months ago to finally downgrade my Spectrum subscription to internet only, switching to YouTubeTV for TV service. The 300 Mbps internet service from Spectrum works great--both my wife and I work from home and we're on virtual meetings almost every day, and we use a lot of streaming TV services, including Bally Sports--and the rep gave me what was supposed to be a promotional deal for a year for about $75 per month.

Today I received my bill and the price went up by $7 per month. I called Spectrum immediately and the rep there told me I had no recourse--I'm still getting a promotional deal that discounts my service by $35 per month, but they implemented a companywide rate increase this month. Needless to say, I was not happy with that and was unable to get him to budge.

So, I'm in the market for another high speed internet service provider. Unfortunately, neither Google Fiber or AT&T Fiber are available at my home, so if anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. I don't think I want any option that offers lower than 300 Mbps speed.

Spectrum has also started charging a "payment processing fee" to accounts unless they are set up to auto-pay. Yes, you now have to pay an additional $5 if you want them to cash your check or process your online payment.

Diamond filed their reorganization with the bankruptcy court today and among its elements is that the Bally brand will go away, with Diamond being able to use it through the end of the 2024 MLB season. We’ll see who the highest bidder ends up being for putting their brand on these RSNs, but we’ll need to get used to a new name next season.

Bally Sports via Amazon Prime?

That had been announced previously, although I guess this fills in the details. Unless Amazon was going to just sponsor the existing platform, Prime was the only location for this stuff. It's still unclear what the timing and cost will be.

Ok-broadcasting rant here. I just got off the phone trying to talk my 93 yr old father through how to watch the playoff games. He's in Ohio on Spectrum, and trying to explain to him that tonight is on TBS and Monday is on ESPN2 and Thur is back to TBS is just beyond mind boggling. Let's try to make it easy for viewers to find the games-NOT.

Ok-broadcasting rant here. I just got off the phone trying to talk my 93 yr old father through how to watch the playoff games. He's in Ohio on Spectrum, and trying to explain to him that tonight is on TBS and Monday is on ESPN2 and Thur is back to TBS is just beyond mind boggling. Let's try to make it easy for viewers to find the games-NOT.
Be glad you aren't trying to explain how to watch NC Courage NWSL games. We're talking 3 broadcast partners, some of whom have multiple platforms, and a streaming service that didn't exist 3 months ago. Watching anything other than NFL football is complicated these days.

Meanwhile Spectrum/Bally has British Basketball League listed on Channel 318 from 4-6:30 followed by Braves Live and MLB.

Happens regularly and usually turns out to be Canes. But really?

Meanwhile Spectrum/Bally has British Basketball League listed on Channel 318 from 4-6:30 followed by Braves Live and MLB.

Happens regularly and usually turns out to be Canes. But really?
I laugh every time they run promos for the BBL on their stream, trying to position it as something any of their viewers would give a crap about!

Back