• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Stanley Cup Finals Notes ... and the post season narrative takeaways

I turned to the game, saw it was 3-0 Bruins, and turned it off. I've probably watched my last hockey of this season.

Ugh. That game looked awfully familiar. I got flashbacks to Game 2 of Carolina's series with Boston. The Blues didn't have any room to breathe out there and everything went sideways. The only thing they were missing was having their Captain blow his stack. Heck, maybe that would have actually helped ... who knows? We'll see how the Blues bounce back in Game 4. They've been stupidly resilient in the post season, but they haven't faced a team playing on quite this level either.

Blues certainly clamped down in the third period. Fairly certain they're taking game four 4-2.

Blues roar back behind O'Reilly, who was just wonderful, and that veteran D group. BIG bounce back game from them, and Boston didn't make it easy on them. That sets things up for a really key Game 5 in Boston. St Louis doesn't have to win per se, but they do need to not get smoked.

Blues roar back behind O'Reilly, who was just wonderful, and that veteran D group. BIG bounce back game from them, and Boston didn't make it easy on them. That sets things up for a really key Game 5 in Boston. St Louis doesn't have to win per se, but they do need to not get smoked.

What a difference the Blues game looks like when they decide to really throw around the body and be the aggressor physically...I really thought the Blues were uninterested in paying the price physically in game 3 and it showed, but last night when they play that kind of in your face, finish every check style they are a different team. The Bruins defense is starting to show some wear and tear, especially the two smaller D in Krug and Clifton...take Chara out for game 5 and I like the Blues chances if they continue to pound that Bruins defense.

Having Gryzelyck already out (Moore is absolutely no kind of replacement) and then losing Chara for a chunk of the game certainly helped the Blues forecheck take over the flow. Unfortunate for the Bruins ... sob, sob, sob.

Chara has a broken jaw. It’s possible but I suspect he’s out for game 5.

Yeah. You know he's gonna want to give it a go, and Cassidy has made some noise about dressing 7 D. But given how important that 4th line is to the bruins, I think that would be a bigger change for them than a lot of people sort of casually assume. It's a big call and could have a big impact one way or the other.

I saw he's out for the p-offs.

I mean, he SHOULD be ... but reports this morning are less clear. Honestly, I think Chara would like to retire after lifting another Cup this year ... and there's no way he wants to do it Dougie Weight style, dressing in the locker room just to take the thing from Bettman. We'll see.

Blues are one win away. They can do it at home on Sunday... but statistics say this is gonna go seven because they're 6-6 at home and 9-3 on the road.

Go Blues!

Not sure why Bruins fans feel entitled, and that every call should go their way. I guess they watch too much Pats football. But the infighting in terrific.

Last edited:
Go Blues!

Not sure why Bruins fans feel entitled, and that every call should go their way. I guess they watch too much Pats football. But the infighting in terrific.

Entitled? No. That was a horrible missed call that allowed St. Louis to have an odd man, o-zone situation that led directly to a goal that put St. Louis up 2-0 in the 3rd period. I think they have a legit gripe.

However, let's also remember that these same Blues lost to the Sharks on the hand-pass goal, which put the Blues in a 2-1 series deficit. All they did after that was win three straight and outscore the Sharks 12-2. So, yeah, it was an inexcusable call, but if you are the better team Bruins, now is your time to show it.

You're the 1st non Bruins fan I've heard call it a terrible missed call.

If only the Bruins had some terrible missed calls go their way in these playoffs.....

So JB, Chara DID play.

Congrats on the Blues... one win away. Finish off the B's.

Shouldn't have though, as he wasn't particularly good, I thought. If you're going to risk you health and make yourself a target, the payoff needs to be more than whatever he managed in that game.

You're the 1st non Bruins fan I've heard call it a terrible missed call.

If only the Bruins had some terrible missed calls go their way in these playoffs.....

Let me be the second ... that was a horrible miss by the official. I get that he might have been partially screened and that it wasn't quite as aggressive a trip as Boston fans are making out, but NHL refs do the math on that kind of play ALL THE TIME. Obvious crap like that HAS to be called. Heck, Bozak KNEW he was getting popped and almost didn't know how to react when he got away with it. That's all you needed to see.

Ivan Barbashev has a hearing with Player Safety for his head hit on Marcus Johansson. Shockingly, there was no penalty on the play.

https://twitter.com/heresyourreplay/status/1136794404050444290?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As well he should. It was weird timing that saved him from a call on the ice, I think ... but he got the head and they should take a look.

Last edited:
Pardon me for not waiting until the refs little darlings, the Bruins, lose a game and blame officiating before I call NHL officials "bad". They've been bad a long time. But a lot of people like to say things like "score more goals" or don't allow the other team to score 4 uncontested goals in the 3rd" to defend shoddy reffing. Sorry, I'm not crying FOR the Bruins. But I agree the NHL has to fix this issue. But not at all because of last night. But because of the last 2 months. Everyone has suffered at the incompetent hand of the officials.

Back