• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

He's like your only good LW
Maybe. But I think the writing was on the wall as soon as Dubas tried to sign him long-term last summer, and Johnsson instead decided to just accept his qualifying offer and bet on himself this season. Unless they can sign him for Hyman/Brown money this summer (which I would guess is probably what they were offering him last summer on a multi-year deal, only for Johnsson to turn it down), I think you probably end up having to choose between Johnsson and Kapanen.

And I think the gap between the two is wide enough in favour of Kapanen that you pick him, even though you're more flush with right-shooting wingers than you are with natural left wingers.

Maybe. But I think the writing was on the wall as soon as Dubas tried to sign him long-term last summer, and Johnsson instead decided to just accept his qualifying offer and bet on himself this season. Unless they can sign him for Hyman/Brown money this summer (which I would guess is probably what they were offering him last summer on a multi-year deal, only for Johnsson to turn it down), I think you probably end up having to choose between Johnsson and Kapanen.

And I think the gap between the two is wide enough in favour of Kapanen that you pick him, even though you're more flush with right-shooting wingers than you are with natural left wingers.

That's fine, just don't be stunned or angry when Babcock goes Hyman, Marleau, plug on the left side for all eternity thinking every line needs a shoveler.

yep.

if we use TBay as the golden standard, the only real difference between the two teams is that they don't have Hymans and Browns on their scoring lines.

but does that mean you need more forwards or a coach that thinks those forwards on scoring lines is a bad idea?

Johnsson being your best LW'er is bad. It's not like he is a world beater who is being shunned to the 4th line. He's a nice young player who has some decent middle-six potential, but we definitely need an upgrade there. A guy with some size who can play a little bit may be nice as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing them acquire another LW. I'd also prioritize it over acquiring another blueliner. They just need someone for the bottom pair and can almost certainly do it internally (if only Babcock would test some options).

Get Zaitsev out of here. He'd probably be fine third pairing and might even improve, but as we see time and again Babcock cannot resist using him in key situations.

Hard to believe Rielly is still only 24.

Active Stick
‏ @TheOakLeafs

Points by dmen since last season:

Burns (33) 124
Carlson (29) 116
Karlsson (28) 105
Mo (24) 104
Hedman (28) 98

Kapanen is a good player and I wouldn’t trade him for Manson, but soon enough Kapanen will price himself at a figure that you just can’t pay your sixth best fwd.

And they obviously can afford to move him and if they did they would continue to have one of tbe deepest and most talented offensive team in the league.

1. where he ranks on the team is irrelevant. and he's got a good argument to be the #4 forward on the team anyways.

2. when your 3rd liners are hyman, marleau, brown/moore, that's not really all that deep an offensive team. that might even be below average depth.

1. where he ranks on the team is irrelevant. and he's got a good argument to be the #4 forward on the team anyways.

2. when your 3rd liners are hyman, marleau, brown/moore, that's not really all that deep an offensive team. that might even be below average depth.

1. Of course where a player ranks on a team is relevant in a cap environment. And if he’s better than nylander than Willy’s gotta go (though I can’t shake the feeling you may rank them both ahead of Marner)

2. Definitely not below avg depth. Those guys are third liners on any team in the league and in the top six of plenty.

but does that mean you need more forwards or a coach that thinks those forwards on scoring lines is a bad idea?

we have just enough forwards to match up against the likes of tbay right now, imo.

Matthews/Marner/Tavares
Nylander/Kapanen/Kadri
Johnsson/Hyman/Marleau
Moore/Ennis/Brown

with moore hopefully moving in to replace Marleau effectively going forward.

you get rid of a guy like kappy, and we're short.

Carlson 3:51pptoi (#2)
Burns 3:28pptoi (#6)
Hedman 3:18pptoi (#9)
Karlsson 3:17pptoi (#10)
Rielly 2:20pptoi (#40)

Is that just this year or the past two? Pretty amazing he's up with those guys with a minute less pp time/gm.

This may be changing, as the refs seem to have started calling the opposition penalties.

we have just enough forwards to match up against the likes of tbay right now, imo.

Matthews/Marner/Tavares
Nylander/Kapanen/Kadri
Johnsson/Hyman/Marleau
Moore/Ennis/Brown

with moore hopefully moving in to replace Marleau effectively going forward.

you get rid of a guy like kappy, and we're short.

I'm not advocating trading Kapanen

1. Of course where a player ranks on a team is relevant in a cap environment. And if he’s better than nylander than Willy’s gotta go (though I can’t shake the feeling you may rank them both ahead of Marner)

2. Definitely not below avg depth. Those guys are third liners on any team in the league and in the top six of plenty.

of the forwards who have played minimum 300min at 5v5 this year (368 - approx 12 per team), they rank:

1-93 "1st line"
94-186 "2nd line"
187-279 "3rd line"
280-372 "4th line"

p/60

243. Brown 1.32
256. Hyman 1.26
307. Marleau 1.07

p1/60

270. Brown .92
275. Marleau .91
329. Hyman .63

It's flat out sub-par production from "3rd liners"....made even worse by the fact that these guys have played many if not most of those minutes with elite producers.

of the forwards who have played minimum 300min at 5v5 this year (368 - approx 12 per team), they rank:

1-93 "1st line"
94-186 "2nd line"
187-279 "3rd line"
280-372 "4th line"

p/60

243. Brown 1.32
256. Hyman 1.26
307. Marleau 1.07

p1/60

270. Brown .92
275. Marleau .91
329. Hyman .63

It's flat out sub-par production from "3rd liners"....made even worse by the fact that these guys have played many if not most of those minutes with elite producers.

I mean you've identified the problem.

The question is, does Babcock think it's a problem ( no he doesn't)

Can Dubas do anything mid season to fix it? ( probably not)

1-93 "1st line"
94-186 "2nd line"
187-279 "3rd line"
280-372 "4th line"

p/60

243. Brown 1.32
256. Hyman 1.26
307. Marleau 1.07

p1/60

270. Brown .92
275. Marleau .91
329. Hyman .63

Fourth liners, all of 'em. Only Marleau discovering his inner 20-something might change this.

1-93 "1st line"
94-186 "2nd line"
187-279 "3rd line"
280-372 "4th line"

p/60

243. Brown 1.32
256. Hyman 1.26
307. Marleau 1.07

p1/60

270. Brown .92
275. Marleau .91
329. Hyman .63

last 2yrs minimum 600min

p60

3.Matthews 2.98 (superstar)
23.Tavares 2.43 (star 1st liner)
26.Marner 2.41 (star 1st liner)

49.Nylander 2.19 (1st liner)
134.Kapanen 1.74 (2nd liner)
135.Kadri 1.73 (2nd liner)

188.Hyman 1.58 (good 3rd liner)
257.Brown 1.37 (borderline 3rd liner)
259.Brown 1.37 (borderline 3rd liner)

p1/60

1.Matthews 2.53 (superstar)
11.Tavares 2.03 (star 1st liner)
16.Marner 1.99 (star 1st liner)

59.Nylander 1.61 (1st liner)
137.Kapanen 1.35 (2nd liner)
137.Kadri 1.35 (2nd liner)

201.Hyman 1.19 (3rd liner)
248.Marleau 1.07 (3rd liner)
250.Brown 1.06 (3rd liner)

average at best. at best. but again, those numbers come largely while playing alongside legit elite producers.

you remove kappy, and suddenly the offensive depth is clearly below average.

Last edited:
Meh, I don't think that's really fair. Jays fans were promised bluntly by upper management, who claims to have been assured by ownership that if they would show up, the money would be there to support the club. Jays fans showed the **** up, and not only was the money not there, they pushed the guy who finally built a winning team out the door for a corporate whore bean counter.

Despite all of that, the Jays were still 13th in attendance last year, to watch a piece of shit team with no hope of competing. 4th in 2017, 3rd in 2016, 8th in 2015. Miss me with this bullshit.

You do realize that the post was a dig on Jonas and not Jays fans right?

Back