• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Mother-fucking goddamn Off-season Thread

It isn't an off-season thread without a long ass "how to fix the leafs" post by mindzeye.

Good luck with that one. I have no fucking clue. None.

Trade Matthews and Marner for scraps?
????
Finish in 9th place?

Thats the real problem...you are unlikely to make a good trade for either.

You're basically hitting a hard reset instead of doing the semi obvious and stop expecting them to drag the rest of the team kicking and screaming to deep playoff runs.

It sure would suck to waste all those years and take a stop loss this deep into it. But maybe you have to instead of continuing to double down on something that clearly isn't working?

I don't know. I don't know anymore. I wouldn't want that job.

Legit question who is a better option than Dubas?

Depends on how you rate Dubas i guess...

Not a lot of value in being a smart hockey guy that makes terrible decisions whenever there's pressure on him in this market.

I was good with giving him an additional chapter to get it right if he tooks last years loss as a signal to fire Keefe, reset and get fast again. But he tripled down. Fuck him, hes earned his track record.

It's not a question of who is better than Dubas, there may be no one. However, he is essentially married to his top guys, to the coach, to the core philosophy of the team etc. He's cornered himself into exchanging engvals of the world for Laffys and unable to make sound decisions as a result of his inflexibility.

For that reason, there maybe quite a few people better. Don't necessarily need a shake up but we do need a shake up. Dubas is not the guy willing to captain that ship.

I know this might seem like a batshit crazy idea, but I think you have to consider moving on from Matthews at this point. If his Leafs had real playoff success to their credit and/or a Cup win to his credit, I think the guy would have been happy to spend his entire career here.

But what seems more likely now? He’ll want to stick around with a team he’s no closer to winning with than in his rookie season and continue to take the heat in hockey’s biggest media market for the team’s massive history of playoff chokes? Or leave all that noise behind and fuck off to New York or LA?

I guess we’ll have a clearer answer to that when whoever our GM is and Matthews sits down at the negotiating table. But IMO, Matthews either needs to be signed to a long-term extension this summer or traded prior to training camp for the best possible return. You can’t end up like the Flames with Tkachuk & Gaudreau.

Back