• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The MotherFucking Off-Season Thread

Also, as much as I love Dermott, he seems destined to be lost to expansion. And since Sandin is signed and making minimum, I don't think they're going to choose Dermott over him. So that's another $2M of the $7m or so we have that could go to Pietrangelo.

For me its still Brodie. He is better than Pietrangelo at what we need (chance suppression), and his overall impact is not that much worse, while playing against elite competition. And because he is not an elite offensive dman he'll get way less money than Pietrangelo. It won't require us to trade any of our best players to add him, and it won't put is in a situation like this year where we can't make any deadline acquisitions and are forever tight against the cap.

Signing Pietro and trading Rielly is probably the only way I see this happening. They'd be left with something like:

Muzzin-Pietro
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Lehtonen

Could be a super elite top pair but all of a sudden things look real questionable on the bottom 4. I don't know.. Then there's the whole risk thing with Pietro's age and likely contract size. But you'd obtain nice pieces for Mo as well.. I'm undecided really. But it's definitely the only way I see it happening (and no, I don't see this happening).

We need an upgrade on D and on the 3rd line. Im surprised we didnt get in on Staal, johnsson should have had more appeal than johansson. That way we could have super lined and still have staal and nylander on the 2nd line

By all accounts the offers the Leafs have been getting for Willy have been worse than the offers they got for Kapanen. We have to remember that these are really stupid human beings that are in charge of NHL teams. I don't think Willy has the trade value we may think he has. So you obviously keep him at all costs.
Which team are you in charge of then?

fans always know better. Nothing to lose really.

Signing Pietro and trading Rielly is probably the only way I see this happening. They'd be left with something like:

Muzzin-Pietro
Dermott-Holl
Sandin-Lehtonen

Could be a super elite top pair but all of a sudden things look real questionable on the bottom 4. I don't know.. Then there's the whole risk thing with Pietro's age and likely contract size. But you'd obtain nice pieces for Mo as well.. I'm undecided really. But it's definitely the only way I see it happening (and no, I don't see this happening).
I don’t think i make that swap tbh.

For me its still Brodie. He is better than Pietrangelo at what we need (chance suppression), and his overall impact is not that much worse, while playing against elite competition. And because he is not an elite offensive dman he'll get way less money than Pietrangelo. It won't require us to trade any of our best players to add him, and it won't put is in a situation like this year where we can't make any deadline acquisitions and are forever tight against the cap.
Great post, 101.

I agree entirely with all your points. Brodie has done well on xGA/60, ranking well on his team while playing stiff comp.

That said, I also would be open to going after Hamilton, should he be on the trade market.

swapping rielly for a much older and more expensive pietro is bad idea.
It's more than a swap as you can get a good haul for Mo. But yeah, probably not a great idea. My point was more that it's the only way they can afford Pietro. Because if they sign Pietro they'll have to let Mo walk, so trading him sooner rather than later is probably the best for asset management purposes. But then it's basically a wash with potential for much worse.

Looks like no Boudreau for our coaching staff. The vacant Leaf assistant coaching gig is instead going to Manny Malhotra:

Ech. Do bad players really make good coaches?

Umm...yes?

I mean, most successful NHL coaches have been shitty ex-players.

On the flipside, good players usually bomb as coaches. Larry Robinson is the only legit star player I can think of who had success as a coach.

Back