• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Playoffs Thread

But for the soccer fans, the real icing on the cake is next Saturday when Barcelona and Juventus play in the Champions League final.

And the winner will complete the treble. For those who aren't soccer fans, a treble is winning 3 championships in a single season; their league, a major domestic competition and the continental championship. Barcelona won La Liga and the Copa del Rey; Juventus won Serie A and the Coppa Italia. It would be Barcelona's 2nd treble and Juventus' first.
 
Great new Stanley Cup Finals spot from the NHL...

[video=youtube;E8uggvSFsl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8uggvSFsl0[/video]
 
So do the Rags pull another Houdini tonight and win in 7 yet again??? The King is great in these type of elimination games and the Rangers seem to have more veteran guys with playoff experience. I'm picking New York on home ice as the difference.
 
So do the Rags pull another Houdini tonight and win in 7 yet again??? The King is great in these type of elimination games and the Rangers seem to have more veteran guys with playoff experience. I'm picking New York on home ice as the difference.

If i was a betting man....id put my money on the two goalies with lots of elimination game experience. Crawford and The King.
 
And the winner will complete the treble. For those who aren't soccer fans, a treble is winning 3 championships in a single season; their league, a major domestic competition and the continental championship. Barcelona won La Liga and the Copa del Rey; Juventus won Serie A and the Coppa Italia. It would be Barcelona's 2nd treble and Juventus' first.

I was wrong...Barcelona plays in the Copa del Rey final tomorrow. Can't have a treble without a double first. :wink
 
Tampa sprints into the Finals with an actual offense. New York limps onto the golf course because they just can't generate enough goals to make a truly wonderful goal keeper and a stout defense stand up in the post season.

Honestly ... sinking so much of their offensive resources into an aging St Louis and a reticent Rick Nash was NYR's biggest roster flaw. Nash had ONE decent game in this series, and Marty managed a single goal. That's just not good enough from those two. Not even close.
 
Although it's slipping away as I type this, the NHL's first all-southern Finals would have been such a sweet kick in the teeth to the purists who still think the league shouldn't have expanded beyond the O6. (I talked to one today, so forgive me if I'm a bit irritated...)

I just don't want to see Chicago win for the third time in five years. Nothing against Toews or Kane or any of them, but...
 
I'm happier to see Anaheim lose than anything. Chicago played more like a team and didn't let the Ducks attempts to pummel the 'Hawks D phase them. The Hawks dug deep, hustled, and spread the puck around so Anaheim couldn't easily target Chicago players.

It was pretty unusual see both home teams get knocked out of game 7 to the Cup Final.

I'm not really sure which team I want to see skate with the Cup. Both have earned their way in. I suspect Chicago will win. I'm glad the NHL is moving forward to play for the Cup starting on Wednesday and not taking a week off like those (candy@$$) NBA players. The hoopsters probably need to let their hangnails heal...sheesh. Its a wonder they don't have lace trim on their shorts.

Jim
 
The only reason the NHL isn't taking a week off is because the CFs went the distance. Had both CFs ended early, I'd bet there would have been a week or nearly so break.

Go Tampa! Power to the Old Southeast!
 
Kind of disappointed we didn't get a Game 7 last night befitting the entire series. Chicago made some changes, got Anaheim on their heels and pretty much closed the book on that game by the midway point. That was NOT indicative of the other 7 games which were tighter than tight. Shame.

Still ... Chicago plows through largely on simple efficiency in front of the net. They did a better job of potting their chances than the Ducks did. That's really all it came down to in the end. They'll absolutely pulverize Tampa in the Final too. Just too good for those Bolts.
 
.... They'll absolutely pulverize Tampa in the Final too. Just too good for those Bolts.

I think it will be a lot more interesting than you think. Chicago isn't used to the type of team speed Tampa can throw at them....they surely didn't see that aspect in the Western playoffs. If Bishop holds up this will be a great series with Tampa having a very good chance to win.
 
I'm with JB on this, I think Chicago is going to overwhelm the Bolts. Tampa is plenty good and a worthy opponent capable of winning but I just have a feeling that Chicago's experience is going to take over this series quickly.

Quicker the Cup is awarded the sooner the buyout period starts..... :thumbup1:
 
Good show by Khuna in the 3rd round playoff pickem by the way. If I'm calculating right, unofficially I believe you missed having both series picked perfectly by a single Rich Nash goal. That should jump you right up near the top, I know you blew by me for sure... Dwind is going to shoot way up there as well..
 
Last edited:
I would say also that Chicago should prevail due to their depth and experience. Tampa shouldn't be a slouch but I'm thinking they may just surprise a little.

I don't expect this final to go 7 games. I would say 5 or 6 games.

I also expect to see the continue return to form of Patrick Kane. He was starting to really get there as their series against the Ducks rolled on.
 
Back
Top