• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Thread of Game of Thrones (spoilers inside)

What a journey Game of Thrones has been.

A friend telling me to watch it (he had already read the books) from episode one on. The very first scene had my hooked. I watched the first episode and then went and bought the books. Finished the books before season 2 began.

Books vs Show
The hardcore book readers had so many issues with the show - Littlefinger taking portals from location to location, etc but two things really stick out for me. The Direwolves. The connection between the starks and the direwolves. It is how you know things are not going to end well for Robb when they do not let him bring greywind with him. Ghost and Jon were amazing in the books.

The other thing is Stannis (the show did a much better job with him going daughter killing crazy than with Dany) was way better in the books. He had a great dry sense of humour that did not happen in the books. The books imo did a much better job of him saving jon from the wildlings. So out of nowhere. The show did it much better with him than when Dany went north to save jon. Side note: a lot of parallels with stannis and dany - aka the two that thought they were the rightful heirs.

Season 3 and 4 were one book. Everything happens and it is only after you think you lost everything that martin throws a bone....Lady Stoneheart

Some of the good changes - Sansa marries Ramsey instead of fake Arya. Arya the cup bearer.

Favourite Parts

Red Wedding - So massive. Obviously I read about it before the show happened. So amazingly well done. I mean Robb was supposed to avenge his father.

Purple Wedding - Joffery was just amazing. The hate for him was real. His death was glorious.

Hodor - Hold the door.

Arya and Tywin - Oddly enough this is not from the books but the writers did an amazing job with this.

The Tyrion trial for killing Joffery and the moon door stuff.

Shae and Tyrion playing the game in the tent before the battle.

When Robb became "King in the North"

So many amazing parts. I am going to have to watch it all again. Will be interesting to watch knowing how it ends.

Yeah, the end to me is fine. Maybe a little too fine - as in, basically all the "bad" characters are dead, and all the good guys are alive and in their "perfect" place save a handful of sacrifices along the way. And then obviously the show rushing through things to make, for example, the whole night king plotline just seem a little dumb, and then because it was rushed, they didn't have time to develop a character for guys like Euron.

The season could definitely have used another 3-4 episodes. For example, the night king breaks through the wall at the end of S7. Instead of what they did, they should have probably had the North try to fight them somewhere near the wall for one episode, but have them beaten mercilessly and have to retreat. Then maybe you have 1-2 episodes where the army of the dead is tearing through the countryside, destroying town after town, castle after castle, before the good guys find a way to lure them towards Winterfell for this final battle/trap of a plan. That way you have basically the dread of them coming through for almost half a season, and heck, you can even advance the timeline to show that that happened over the course of months even, so that it actually feels like the battle with the dead takes more than just one evening.

And they could probably have had at least a couple of the other main characters not make it through by the end. As people mentioned, Brienne sacrificing herself in combat to save Sansa or Arya would have been a fitting end for her as well. But overall, the ending made sense, but the path they took to get there had a few too many shortcuts that made for a downer of a season.

Do not really disagree with anything here. The more deaths thing I am not a big fan off though. I find that at some point not everybody could die. I mean look at the Starks. Cat, Ned, Lyanna, Benjin, Robb, Rickon, Jon, Theon, all but two direwolves die. Really only Arya and Sansa are left. Jon died and is only half a stark. Bran did not die but he became something else.

Sure you could throw in a few more deaths but Martin pretty much killed everybody. Like 90% of "main" characters died.

Arya would have been the actual King. that's the whole point.

Gendry would just be the token claim on the throne.
That makes even less sense. Both in terms of the story, as well as her character.

Arya's never had any interest in ruling over anybody, and having to carry out the duties of a monarch would basically be a gilded cage for her.

As worm pointed out, like her Direwolf, Arya above all wants to roam free.

That makes even less sense. Both in terms of the story, as well as her character.

Arya's never had any interest in ruling over anybody, and having to carry out the duties of a monarch would basically be a gilded cage for her.

As worm pointed out, like her Direwolf, Arya above all wants to roam free.

and bran didn't want to be king. and tyrion didnt want to be hand.

that's the point. a reluctant king is the only good kind. the game of thrones had to be won by someone who didn't try to win it.

aryas both the biggest badass on the show, the most genuine, and the least interested in ruling. she saved the whole kingdom from the night king, she's a stark, and he and gendry's baby would unite the kingdom.

perfect selection.

don't @me

Arya should’ve died too.

You can’t take out so many characters, stumble around a war zone safely, and just sail off into the sunset.

Terrible ending for her. She had exactly zero purpose after stabbing NK.

that's the point. a reluctant king is the only good kind. the game of thrones had to be won by someone who didn't try to win it.

aryas both the biggest badass on the show, the most genuine, and the least interested in ruling. she saved the whole kingdom from the night king, she's a stark, and he and gendry's baby would unite the kingdom.

perfect selection.

don't @me

poor wrong zeke

perfect selection.

don't @me

tyrion wanted to have power the entire time

sure he claims he doesn't at the end but his actions and being the hand for like 12 different rulers says otherwise

and in the end it was actually tyrion that won the game of thrones

tyrion wanted to have power the entire time

sure he claims he doesn't at the end but his actions and being the hand for like 12 different rulers says otherwise

and in the end it was actually tyrion that won the game of thrones

he was the main character.

Says the guy who thinks that literally the least skilled player in the "game" should have somehow miraculously ended up on a throne she has no interest in.

there is nothing west of westoros so clearly she killed bran and took his face

and bran didn't want to be king.

Poor stupid Zeke. So the guy who could see into the future and ended up on the throne didn't want it?

and tyrion didnt want to be hand.

So Zeke, so dumb.

Nah, you're missing the point. A reluctant King isn't the only good kind. A king who wants the throne for the right reasons (like Dany paid lip service to at times) is the preferred option. Bran wanted the throne for the right reasons, and was playing 8D futuristic chess while everyone else was playing checkers.

It's one of the few things that season 8 got right.

Not just the least interested in ruling, by far the least capable of ruling. She literally kills, attempts to kill, or plans to kill all of her problems the entire ****ing series. Put her on the throne.

perfect selection.

If you ignore the character and her entire arc, sure.

perfect selection.

don't @me
Bran is apparently the repository of all human knowledge. And his dumbing down the last couple of seasons aside, Tyrion is one of the most capable and experienced administrators and players of the "game of thrones" left in Westeros by the end of the series.

So sure, being reluctant to take power at the end is a good thing in both their cases. But that's not the sum total of why they're chosen.

And if you want to take a lesson from the series on what makes for the best ruler, the guy who started off on the Iron Throne at the start of the series also happened to be the most badass warrior around, had genuine good intentions, no interest in being King and zero experience as a ruler when he took the throne. And how did things work out for Bobby B?

So to sum up Zeke's world

- Jon should have died killing the ****ing dragon, with a sword, by sticking the pointy end of the ****ing sword through the Dragon's ****ing head while the Dragon was trying to burn him with fire, that he's ****ing immune to because Targ.

- The psychopath who literally wears other people's faces to murder other people, with no desire other than to 1) be free & 2) murder all of her enemies should be queen...but not on her own claim, through that of the bastard blacksmith she banged this one time because she didn't want to die a virgin. A claim that only exists because the mad queen elevated him to being a lord.

Dying on idiot hills full of morons who bump their heads when they fall down.

Correct, Jon should have died and taken the dragon with him, ending the crazy targs and magik dragons line forever. If anyone can kill a dragon, its the ****ing heir to the targ crown.

And Arya should rule them all, because shes easily the best of them all.

and that's a wrap.

They let the cripple who sat around doing nothing the entire series win the crown.

But he remembers things.

Good Lord.

NiftyPotableBaiji-size_restricted.gif

Back