• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Twenty Games In (2014-2015)

I was reading some articles on mid-season awards. The coach of the year race has two familiar names......Paul Maurice and Peter Laviolette. Interesting, but hard to argue with the results they are each getting in Winnipeg and Nashville. This is further proof that the core of this team is likely rotten and in need of an overhaul.
 
If this is sarcasm and you feel like there is nothing wrong with Eric Staal, then what exactly do you suggest is wrong with this team?
There is plenty wrong with this team including Eric Staal. Personally, I'd like to see both parties agree to part ways. But since it is not going to happen apparently, I wont bang the same drum incessantly and make it the prime focus of every single one of my posts like some others do.
 
well at least you can always go follow your OTHER team.

Dayumm CP, you just got tolt! :smilielol5:

There is plenty wrong with this team including Eric Staal. Personally, I'd like to see both parties agree to part ways. But since it is not going to happen apparently, I wont bang the same drum incessantly and make it the prime focus of every single one of my posts like some others do.

I see where you are coming from now. Agreeably parting ways would be best.

Hopefully, a team with a good shot at the cup will come calling and Eric will decide to take a hike.

If that doesn't happen, you are right, we are stuck with him.

Time to start grinning and bearing.

It just sucks even more knowing that he will/is start/ing to turn it on. Nobody wants to lose that draft position.

Tis a frustrating dilemma.
 
well at least you can always go follow your OTHER team.

Sorry, but I make no apologies for having another team. One team is the team I grew up with, attended games as a youth, and still follow passionately. I imagine that is how you feel about the Whalers and now Canes. Never understood the argument from some that since you don't live there anymore I shouldn't continue to support. I have never confused the fact that the other team is my favorite and the Canes are my second favorite team due to local ties. That said, I do raise my kids as Canes fans and support the Canes both financially (when I am in Raleigh) and in spirit from afar.

Now back to Staal. My recent posts tend to focus on him because of simple facts. The Canes need a major overhaul (6 straight years and 8 of 9 without playoffs scream it) and Eric Staal is the fastest way to do that. Staal is the most valuable player on the Canes roster to get a "rebuild" return via trade to help accelerate the Canes back into contention. Keeping him will likely add 1 or 2 years to the rebuild before the Canes see results. The only way that is avoided is if the Canes get lucky in the draft and then are able to add Eichel or McDavid this year.....even then it is debatable if Eric is the guy you want the new Franchise player to be mentored by. Eric is not Francis or Brindy.

Staal has every right to invoke his no trade clause. That is a right he earned and I don't have a problem with him doing that. I have more of a problem with the Canes not ever invoking their right to call him out publicly and make him accountable for his on ice performance. The favorable treatment from the Canes org and local press just makes him less likely to ever leave. For years he has gotten away with coasting through large portions of seasons and running coaches out of town either directly or indirectly. He is a very good player and the recent hot streak just confirms it but unless he just wants to continue to cash large paychecks and hang out with his brother (maybe he does) it is in everyone's best interest to trade him to a contender to get Eric and the Canes organization each closer to a Cup again.
 
Calling out a player is great in theory. It's red meat for the fans. But it's not really effective any more. The Stars stripped the "C" from Mike Modano and the Sharks stripped Joe Thornton. How has that worked out? We have an organization with few prospects in the system, so have to go trolling for free agents every year. How will being called out in the press go over with them? It's also not in Francis' nature...he wasn't that way as a player, it would be out of character for him to do it as the GM. And our owner will blame Justin Peters. Do you want him being the voice of the franchise?

It took years to get in this mess. To expect a quick fix isn't realistic. And IMO publicly calling out your captain is a step in the wrong direction.
 
I agree calling out Staal when his effort or leadership lacks is a risky move. I would just like to see a new approach with him. Currently he is far too comfortable with the status quo and thus will not waive his no trade clause. The Canes are also not winning under the status quo so something has to change.

I also agree it probably isn't in Francis's personality to do it, but I think the responsibility lies at the GM or Owner level to call out the player publicly (coach should do behind closed doors). It would be good for Francis to be able to do this as needed. He is in management now and should not be a "players" GM as it will not be effective long term. Look at Yzerman in Tampa. He has done a good job building that team back to competing for the Cup. This has been done by making hard calls with franchise players (Lecavalier) and also hurting stars feelings (St. Louis/Olympics). Management is a different game and Ronnie will have to step on some toes at some point to get the Canes back where they need to be.
 
Good to see you distinguish between what happens in full view of the fans and media and what happens in the room. Those two are completely different things. I really could care less if Peters and Francis do their communicating in private or in public so long as it gets done.

I will say this ... I think a public dressing down of Eric Staal would end in disaster. He just doesn't have the kind of personality to grin and bear it. And Staal in open revolt? No thanks. It's bad enough with him stuck in lethargy mode.
 
Staal will only be traded once fans find another scapegoat.

Fans? It's interesting to watch Tripp bounce from scapegoat to scapegoat. It started out as Semin, and has progressed on to Skinner, etc. He gushed over Lindholm for a while, and now thinks Rask is the second coming of Gretzky.
 
Back
Top