• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

What are you drinking/last thing you drank?

Every year since the late 90s, Port Brewing in San Marcos (near Mexican border) brews a holiday special called Santa's Little Helper. It's a Russian Imperial Stout (9.9% ABV) that has coffee and cocoa notes. This year they added a little hazelnut to the mix. It was spectacular!

Made some coffee for our guests (they had a long drive home): 2/3 decaf, 1/3 Trader Joe's Winter Blend. I'll be up a few more hours. 😉

Wife and I shared several pints at my favorite pub in Pasadena. The last one I had: a bourbon-barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout from Stone called Fyodor. It had been aged in the bottle three years. Incredible stuff, and carried a hefty wallop, too (13.1% ABV).

My dad got ill and we can't have Thanksgiving together. However, we still had our sushi and sake meal we'd planned tonight. Just one sake, "Ninja Waka-Ebis". It's finely processed, and very good.

About to have my cup of coffee, but last night the last thing was a Late Harvest Riesling by The Ojai VIneyards. Essentially a dessert wine. It was very, very good.

20211201_201327.jpg

Madagascar Vanilla Bean and Ceylon Alba Cinnamon Speedway Stout.

This is a spectacular version of the Speedway Stout (AleSmith's famed Russian Imperial Stout) made with cinnamon and Madagascar Vanilla Bean.
.imgly_2075872295231128638.jpg

Some oatmeal chocolate cookies that the wife made. They're my all time favorites.

Cheat days are the best!!

For my last, I had my first (but certainly not my last) Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA, their annual holiday release IPA. One of my holiday faves.

At Paperback Brewing in Glendale this evening, after the flight I enjoyed, I ended it with a brand new Imperial Stout called Death by Chocolate. They roast it with cocoa nibs, coconut and almonds. Decadent, and just awesome.
Enjoyed one with dinner tonight. They told us it wouldn't be canned, but I found some, surprisingly. Tasted better on tap but still very good.

Right now, it's the 2021 Black Tuesday by The Bruery. 18.9% ABV (less than many years but still potent). Bouron-barrel aged delight.

Back