• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

the truth about florida is that their 15-16 success was a mirage.

FLA 5v5 adjusted cf% - pdo

13-14: 49.2% (20th) - .986 (28th)
14-15: 51.0% (17th) - .997 (21st)
15-16: 49.4% (19th) - 1.021 (2nd)
16-17: 50.3% (17th) - .988 (25th)

Florida also got worse this off-season. They dumped three top-9 forwards (Jagr, Smith, Marchessault) and a top-4 RHD (Demers) essentially for nothing in return. I honestly don't really know what the hell they're doing.

Not to mention that their young, supposed franchise defenseman (Ekblad) has taken a step back for two straight years, and he's already developing a hell of a concussion history (which wasn't helped by the Panthers negligently rushing him back from one towards the end of last season, when their season was already lost, only for him to get injured again).

BTW wondering how Drouin has looked so far in the conversion into C. Looking for habs fans to chime in

Had a discussion with a buddy and he's of the opinion that converting from W to C is easy for someone who's played C in junior, I happen to think not all junior C's can play in the NHL as C.

Word is Jagr will announce who he's playing with on Oct 5th, one day after season starts.

Me wonders if it could be Chicago who have a need at wing, but no cap until they can put Hossa on LTIR

Too bad it can't be something like our old table top games; there's a number of slots around the boards, and the puck will come shooting out of one of them.

In all seriousness though. You could do it. Home team starts with the puck in the 1st and 3rd periods. After each whistles, the team causing the stoppage is punished by the other team getting the puck.

What exactly is the problem with faceoffs that we need to eliminate them entirely.

i mean its not like these are health risks, like the people arguing for the elimination of kickoffs in football.

Its like the guys on overdrive said. Changing the faceoff rules is the dumbest thing the NHL can do.

Fans are not clamoring for changes to faceoffs. They are not impacting the entertainment value of the sport. We are providing nothing to fans by tweaking this rule in any way. Its fine as it is.

Slashing? Yup, gotta be curtailed as players are getting hurt, and injured stars is not good for the game. But faceoffs? What the hell? Why?

eh, if you have to break the rules to win faceoffs, and teams cqn just kill play thanks to havingnthr best cheaters, its a problem.

more interesting for me is whether the new enforcement makes certain players completely irrelevant.....and other players suddenly much better at faceoffs.

I don't get how faceoffs are bad.

They don't add a whole lot for the game. There's a wasted few minutes from when the linesman drops, then a stick tap/scramble and the puck goes somewhere. If you just assign the puck to a team, the play starts immediately and moves on. Decide who gets it dependant on zone start, who committed an infraction and so on. I mean, I'm not going to lose sleep over faceoffs, but it's one thing that could shave a good 10-15 minutes off game times if they got rid of them.

It will never happen but I totally think that getting rid of faceoffs and offsides would make the game better and faster... both in terms of pace and length of the game due to stoppages and ****ing around in the faceoff circle.

Its like the guys on overdrive said. Changing the faceoff rules is the dumbest thing the NHL can do.

Fans are not clamoring for changes to faceoffs. They are not impacting the entertainment value of the sport. We are providing nothing to fans by tweaking this rule in any way. Its fine as it is.

Slashing? Yup, gotta be curtailed as players are getting hurt, and injured stars is not good for the game. But faceoffs? What the hell? Why?

That was my thinking too. I don't understand what the issue was in the first place.

eh, if you have to break the rules to win faceoffs, and teams cqn just kill play thanks to havingnthr best cheaters, its a problem.

more interesting for me is whether the new enforcement makes certain players completely irrelevant.....and other players suddenly much better at faceoffs.

is it a problem that fans are complaining about. That is making the game less entertaining to fans.

Does fixing this problem sell one more ticket, get one more viewer on tv?

If not, its pointless to change.

is it a problem that fans are complaining about. That is making the game less entertaining to fans.

Does fixing this problem sell one more ticket, get one more viewer on tv?

If not, its pointless to change.

Fans may not be clamoring for it, but I think it could improve the game. Moot point though... it ain't ever happening. It's not even on anyone's radar.

Back