• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes GM Search ... it's Don Waddell (5/8)

Re: Hurricanes GM Search ... dedicated thread

Maybe TD is setting up for the Quebec City move.

I think Brindy has it backwards. He should apply for the GM job. God help any players not getting with the program. I'd rather have In Rod we Trust than Waddel. Since Velluci wants to be HC, so be it. Done and Done.

I think Brindy has it backwards. He should apply for the GM job. God help any players not getting with the program. I'd rather have In Rod we Trust than Waddel. Since Velluci wants to be HC, so be it. Done and Done.

+2.

2 months ago, I would have jumped all over the suggestion of this as crazy. Given the way things are headed, I would now be happy with this as an outcome. I am not really sure what that says about the current state of the Canes other than I don't think it is good.

The chaos surrounding the Canes under Dundon is dangerously close to becoming "perception eventually equals reality". Dundon needs to realize this, even though things probably aren't as crazy as we may believe or what you read on Twitter. Another month of this, and the reality won't matter.

I'm hoping the league offers Dundon some guidance in the same way Jeff Vinek was offered guidance (hire Steve Yzerman). However, I suspect the league is OK with Waddell's hand holding and management by committee.

2 months ago, I would have jumped all over the suggestion of this as crazy. Given the way things are headed, I would now be happy with this as an outcome. I am not really sure what that says about the current state of the Canes other than I don't think it is good.

The chaos surrounding the Canes under Dundon is dangerously close to becoming "perception eventually equals reality". Dundon needs to realize this, even though things probably aren't as crazy as we may believe or what you read on Twitter. Another month of this, and the reality won't matter.

Dundon almost seems like he gets his kicks out of being as unconventional as possible with the process. Public perception and what the media thinks does not to seem to phase him one bit.

Dundon almost seems like he gets his kicks out of being as unconventional as possible with the process. Public perception and what the media thinks does not to seem to phase him one bit.
It might phase him when nobody shows up for opening night because all he’s managed to do is convince the world that he doesn’t know what the heck he’s doing

I’m exaggerating, but holy cats ... that sometimes does seem like what he’s trying to do

For as bizarre and unorthodox as this whole situation is, I simply find it entertaining. The Canes may be better for it, or may be worse, but at least it won't be business as usual. And that's really been the most frustrating thing for the last decade.

And I just don't get the whole media hoohah over the Francis firing. "He shouldn't have been treated that way." "He should have been allowed to stick around until he found a new landing spot." Really? How about how the fans -- who pay the bills -- have been treated? Personally, I have no problem with the way it was handled. He was treated well as a player because he earned it. I don't think anybody is arguing that he wasn't. He was given the GM spot when I'm not really sure he deserved it. He didn't do well, and he was released. As a GM, he didn't earn a parade. Sorry fella, it's time to move on.

I've not seen anyone say RF should have been kept on until he found a new landing spot. I think you either fire the guy or you don't, but this artificial promotion was bush league mid-season (or most season) and then to finally fire him just leaves a guy twisting. If Wayne Gretzky can be fired and treated like he didn't exist when all the broohahaha was going on in AZ, then certainly RF could be fired. I just don't have any tolerance for the way Byalsma and Shero were treated in PIT, the way Dorian is leaving Boucher twisting in OTT, the asshat manner in which Gerard Gallant was fired in FLA during an away game, and it was the same with RF. Reflects more on the guys in charge versus the guys who are getting canned.

The Gallant firing was disrespectful, sure. But if RF felt that he was “twisting,” nothing was stopping him from walking away any day he wanted. He hung around and collected a nice paycheck for doing not much for a few months. It’s entirely likely he knew he would be released sooner rather than later and it’s also entirely possible that he was being given some time to collect a paycheck while exploring some future plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bottom line, absolutely nothing was gained, and face was lost, the way it was handled. If the end game was inevitably this result, it could still go there but nothing would have been hurt by assigning him some "special advisor" or some such off-the-chain-of-command title (not what he got which implies a future role despite the "demotion") in public until he found another gig and then just let it be until he does. Even, as Slapshots mentioned, a straight firing up front beats this stumbilng bumbling around. People around the league notice the way you treat people, and it may have lasting effects in who and how they want to engage with this club going forward. Dundon simply gets low marks for this bungling.

I’m sure there are some that see it as disrespectful. And it sure makes for better radio theater to trash someone than to shrug it off. But I would hope there’s a silent majority of those who don’t make their living off storylines who aren’t phased by it. Sorry but I still don’t see how this is even close to the big deal breach of protocol and inexcusable embarrassment that it’s being made out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're the joke of the league right now... it's an embarrassment. Doesn't sit well with me. Joe Nieuwendyk was absolutely correct to give us the old one-finger salute.

Somehow the Canes managed to replaced the enthusiasm of getting the #2 pick, with the certainty that they don't know what to do with it, all within a 48-hr span.

I've not seen anyone say RF should have been kept on until he found a new landing spot. I think you either fire the guy or you don't, but this artificial promotion was bush league mid-season (or most season) and then to finally fire him just leaves a guy twisting. If Wayne Gretzky can be fired and treated like he didn't exist when all the broohahaha was going on in AZ, then certainly RF could be fired. I just don't have any tolerance for the way Byalsma and Shero were treated in PIT, the way Dorian is leaving Boucher twisting in OTT, the asshat manner in which Gerard Gallant was fired in FLA during an away game, and it was the same with RF. Reflects more on the guys in charge versus the guys who are getting canned.

This post is pretty good perspective for us Canes fans to remember. Pittsburgh got crushed for the handling of Bylsma and Shero and some articles talked about long term damage to the organization over the handling. Fast forward a couple years and the Penguins are taking a run at a third straight Cup, Shero has overseen an outstanding turnaround in NJ, and, well Bylsma is a decent studio guest on TV from time to time (can't win them all!).

Let's all hope that this blows over after Dundon pulls a decent hire out of somewhere. News cycles are lightning fast these days.

We're the joke of the league right now... it's an embarrassment. Doesn't sit well with me. Joe Nieuwendyk was absolutely correct to give us the old one-finger salute.

Nieuwendyk contributed what during his years of collecting a paycheck?

Nieuwendyk contributed what during his years of collecting a paycheck?

No idea. In this "news cycle" it matters not one bit. Whether someone who replaces him does something, nothing, better, worse is for another day. Today, the Hurricanes are a joke.

You just knew people would get their panties in a wad the day Francis was fired. No two ways about it. I expected it more from the fans than from the media though. Canes fans are one thing, if anything, and that's nostalgic. "Bring back everybody, create a giant country club where every popular player has a cushy job". It can't happen.

No wadded underwear here... it was time to move on for sure and get new people in positions of authority in the club (how's that workin' out so far BTW?), but there's a way to do things and a way not to. Class. Dignity. Respect. Those things do still matter (outside of politics, apparently)

Back