• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Ya I only found the first episode to be truly terrible. The others were watchable for me. And the CGI Clone Wars television show was pretty fantastic.

The biggest thing that gives me hope about the newest bunch of Star Wars movies is that George Lucas has nothing to do with them.

It's unfortunate that he got the idea somewhere along with way that he should write and direct all three prequels all on his own, and go completely overboard with CGI.

Yeah, the CGI was just ridiculous overkill.

There are scenes where the furniture is CGI in the prequels. WTF? They're already not aging well, effects-wise.

AOTC has scenes where it looks like a bad video game.

Last edited:
Yeah, the CGI was just ridiculous overkill.

There are sense where the furniture is CGI in the prequels. WTF? They're already not aging well, effects-wise.

AOTC has scenes where it looks like a bad video game.
Even when the prequels were brand new, at the time I thought the original three Star Wars movies looked way more realistic.

I haven't rewatched any of them, but I wouldn't be surprised that the CGI and special effects used were aging badly.

Detailed models supplemented by some CGI >>> A metric ****-ton of shitty CGI

Two things... many reports are that the hateful8 is basically a reservoir dogs western, and that most of the movie is in that cabin.... what the hell is the point of 70mm?? It literally will be used for the drive in and the drive out.

Second, anyone watch Wentworth on Netflix. Basically its an Australian Orange is the new black without the humour. A real life woman's prison show. My wife started watching and then I got into it... its pretty good.

Battling a shitty cold so actually had some tv time and watched True Detective Season 2 just to see how bad it really was.

For the life of me, I barely understood much of the story. And I sure was cringing at a lot of the overwritten, overdramatic scenes. The staring contests that they made an in-scene joke of later on was right on, as it got laughably ridiculous how much dead time was spent on characters just looking at each other. Rachel McAdams sucked in that role, Kitsch was in over his head, and Vaughn was tough to take seriously, but Farrell was very good.

If the first 6 episodes were like the last 1.5, there might've been something worthwhile watching, but unless you're just too curious, don't bother tossing 8 hours of your life away on this series.

Didn't realize Donny Yen was cast in Star Wars Rogue One, he's one of my all time favourite HK action stars. I am getting pretty amped for what they're doing with this franchise. Should be fun.

vBOnApu.jpg

Donny Yen for reference...

[video]https://youtu.be/_H-3NKj8yO8[/video]

But how many Bothans died to bring us this information?

Battling a shitty cold so actually had some tv time and watched True Detective Season 2 just to see how bad it really was.

For the life of me, I barely understood much of the story. And I sure was cringing at a lot of the overwritten, overdramatic scenes. The staring contests that they made an in-scene joke of later on was right on, as it got laughably ridiculous how much dead time was spent on characters just looking at each other. Rachel McAdams sucked in that role, Kitsch was in over his head, and Vaughn was tough to take seriously, but Farrell was very good.

If the first 6 episodes were like the last 1.5, there might've been something worthwhile watching, but unless you're just too curious, don't bother tossing 8 hours of your life away on this series.

Kept forgetting to get back to you....I ended up reading all the God's & Monsters comics (cept the WW run)....watched the God's & Monsters Chroricles (just 3 five minute little webisodes) then watched the flick.

I can definitely see why some long time fans would find it somewhat polarizing, but I had a ton of fun seeing Bruce Timm have the entire DC Universe in his hands to tell a elseworlds story.

If you have the time I'd definitely recommend checking out the comic, Chronicles and then the movie. Think you'd enjoy it if you can get past the elseworlds aspect of it and just enjoy it as a standalone interpretation of the DC Universe.

I had zero connection with most of the characters. However there were some good things in the season, like the shoot out mid way through the season and some of the dialogue between Vaughn his wife and ferrel and the ginge. The orgy scene was also very well done.

I would classify no scene with Kelly Reilly as anything but a train wreck.

And while the shootout was good, even it was silly....with Rachel McAdams tracking down an SUV on foot....and backup showing up, never.

I would classify no scene with Kelly Reilly as anything but a train wreck.

And while the shootout was good, even it was silly....with Rachel McAdams tracking down an SUV on foot....and backup showing up, never.

See, you're just criticizing because you see the cool kids doing it.

Kept forgetting to get back to you....I ended up reading all the God's & Monsters comics (cept the WW run)....watched the God's & Monsters Chroricles (just 3 five minute little webisodes) then watched the flick.

I can definitely see why some long time fans would find it somewhat polarizing, but I had a ton of fun seeing Bruce Timm have the entire DC Universe in his hands to tell a elseworlds story.

If you have the time I'd definitely recommend checking out the comic, Chronicles and then the movie. Think you'd enjoy it if you can get past the elseworlds aspect of it and just enjoy it as a standalone interpretation of the DC Universe.

Thanks for the intel.

I did watch the webisodes and was underwhelmed. A bunch of the reviews validly criticize that the film is a dated BTAS take on the alternate universe. I definitely got that feel from the webisodes.

Still on the fence about whether to buy the film.

A bunch of the reviews validly criticize that the film is a dated BTAS take on the alternate universe. I definitely got that feel from the webisodes.

I'm so used to people falling all over themselves to praise BTAS, it's weird to hear it referenced as a pejorative. I was never a fan of BTAS, (didn't like it or dislike it, just never really got into it)......but I do like a well written story that isn't afraid to utilize the wealth of continuity that preceded it, and for that I give Timm full marks.

For instance, I'm currently reading the 7-year Grant Morrison Batman run, and to the laymen fan that might only have a passing knowledge of Batman & it's lore, it must seem like a absolutely batshit crazy story, if not just outright garbage.....but having a pretty deep knowledge of the lore and being a big fan of Morrison, I went in knowing full well just how esoteric he can get, and that he'd likely get pretty out there with Batman, and it's ultimately made for one of the bigger & more epic collection of story arcs that I've ever read for the character.

All of which is just to say that Timm kind of does a similar thing with 'Gods & Monsters' where he really uses a bunch of characters from the DC universe for his storytelling, even using classic Jack Kirby 'Fourth World/New Gods' characters, in some interesting ways.

If none of that appeals to you though, and you didn't care for the chronicles at all.....I definitely wouldn't shell out any money for it. Either download it, or wait for it to show up on Netflix in a couple years.

Watched "Warrior" last night and it's a pretty good movie ... kinda slow in the beginning but picked it up half way into the movie. There's not really much of a plot but some fine acting by all 3 actors, especially Nolte.

I'm so used to people falling all over themselves to praise BTAS, it's weird to hear it referenced as a pejorative. I was never a fan of BTAS, (didn't like it or dislike it, just never really got into it)......but I do like a well written story that isn't afraid to utilize the wealth of continuity that preceded it, and for that I give Timm full marks.

For instance, I'm currently reading the 7-year Grant Morrison Batman run, and to the laymen fan that might only have a passing knowledge of Batman & it's lore, it must seem like a absolutely batshit crazy story, if not just outright garbage.....but having a pretty deep knowledge of the lore and being a big fan of Morrison, I went in knowing full well just how esoteric he can get, and that he'd likely get pretty out there with Batman, and it's ultimately made for one of the bigger & more epic collection of story arcs that I've ever read for the character.

All of which is just to say that Timm kind of does a similar thing with 'Gods & Monsters' where he really uses a bunch of characters from the DC universe for his storytelling, even using classic Jack Kirby 'Fourth World/New Gods' characters, in some interesting ways.

If none of that appeals to you though, and you didn't care for the chronicles at all.....I definitely wouldn't shell out any money for it. Either download it, or wait for it to show up on Netflix in a couple years.

That's an interesting reply.

I actually loved BTAS. I think it was an incredible portrayal of the characters, with excellent storytelling, especially during the latter years of its run. The only negative reference is to the fact that it's 20 years old already, and so seeing animation that looks so dated does make one feel like they cheaped out a bit in producing this film. That's the only knock.

I read the Morrison run while he was on the book, and you're right, it was weird, but after getting used to it a bit, it was very good. I think you may be a little less mainstream than me. For instance, I really enjoyed the Winnick run, but even moreso, I think Snyder currently has hit it out of the park. That said, Jim Gordon can't lose the suit fast enough for my taste. Not sure I like the aftermath of the great Endgame story.

Back