• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Does Cooper take any heat for this? Where's the outrage - they just went out with the faintest of whimpers?

He signed an extension in-season so he is safe for at least another year.

If they don't perform in the playoffs next year, his job will likely be in jeopardy.

So Point and Stralman are their big free agents this year, Sergachev next year.

Where’s the predicted cap hell going to come from? They seem fine.

They're already at 73 million for next year, have like 2 defenders included in that number, no point included in that number and next year is the last year of sergachev and vasilevskys current contracts.

They're already at 73 million for next year, have like 2 defenders included in that number, no point included in that number and next year is the last year of sergachev and vasilevskys current contracts.

They have to dump some players this summer . They should of not signed Miller and Gourde to extensions

Point takes up all of their capsapce by himself, and that's with them losing Stralman, Coburn, Girardi, Rutta for nothing.

and then the next year they have to re-up all of vasilevsky, sergachev, cernak, Cirelli, and joseph with only callahan's money coming off the books.

Kucherov 9.5 ---- Matthews 11.6
Point ??? -------- Marner ???
Stamkos 8.5 ---- Tavares 11.0
Hedman 7.9 ----- Rielly 5.0
McDonagh 6.8 --- Muzzin 4.0
Vasilevsky 3.5 --- Andersen 5.0

Total: 36.2 + Point --- 36.6 + Marner

Callahan 5.8 ----- Marleau 6.3
Palat 5.3 --------- Willy 7.0
Miller 5.3 --------- Kadri 4.5
Gourde 5.2 ------ Kappy ???
Johnson 5.0 ----- Johnson ???
Killorn 4.5 -------- Zaitsev 4.5

Total 31.2 -------- ----- 22.3 + Kappy + Johnsson

Pens will make major moves, but not sure if they can be a cup threat again. I don't see Rutherford being able to strike gold on so many deals like he did in 2015-16.
Tampa is fine though.

Pens will make major moves, but not sure if they can be a cup threat again. I don't see Rutherford being able to strike gold on so many deals like he did in 2015-16.
Tampa is fine though.
It'll be pretty tough for the Penguins going forward. Rutherford and Shero before him really emptied the cupboards pretty extensively to make a run these past few years.

It was the right move of course, considering they got two more Cups out of the Crosby/Malkin era as an end result. But they're now in a situation where, not counting Kasperi Kapanen (who they selected in the first round, then traded away), they haven't had a first round selection in the draft in six consecutive drafts.

They've also traded away multiple mid-round picks in recent years, including their 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 6th round picks this year, as well as their 2nd round pick next season. Eventually that's going to catch up to you, and it might have finally caught up to them this season.

Not sure if mentioned, but apparently Pittsburgh wants to clear house of anyone and everyone besides Malkin and Crosby.

Yeah, it will be interesting. I get that Crosby is "untouchable" but I would definitely be open to anything else if I'm Rutherford. Trading Malkin could potentially set them up for a really nice retool. You gotta think they could get a very good, younger NHLer, a couple very good prospects and a 1st rounder or two.

If they decided to completely blow it up and go full on rebuild and trade Sid, Geno and everyone else... they could stockpile a ridiculous amount of young players, prospects and picks. That ain't happening though.

Habs would strike me as the #1 suitor for Malkin.

Bergy will probably throw a lot at Rutherford to get him.

Yeah, I can certainly see the Habs being a top suitor.

Gallagher, #15 overall and Petry?

If Pittsburgh is looking to remain a contender while getting younger and picking up assets, that might be a deal that could work.

Not sure Montreal should be making those type of deals though. They should really be looking to move Weber and Price.

Maybe the deal could be Weber and Price for Malkin and Murray. Habs can retain all the salary necessary. (I know)

3, Artem, Jokiharju

Keep it, continue your rebuild. Stan has done a really good job putting actually good young pieces on the roster.

Fwiw, Seabrook and Saad are the two you should consider moving. Artem is more than functional as a 3rd line guy for a few more years. Even keeping Saad isn't the worst thing in the world unless his money gets in the way of re signing Strome & DeBrincat (which it doesn't appear to). Seabrook is the killer though.

But Kane is awesome and will remain awesome for the next 5+ years imo. Toews is still a top quality match up guy, even if his contract is 'tarded for what he does but how has another legit centre to carry some of the load with, and Keith isn't a stud #1 anymore, but he appears to be aging gracefully enough (while at the same time, Stan seems to be injecting the blueline with solid young top 4 or better type talent). That's a guy you cash in on if the offer is there for him, but if not, meh. Fire Cam Ward out of a cannon and replace him with a real backup. Hope Crawford doesn't die (but only 1 yr left on that contract, so meh), pick Cozens or Dach (preferably trading down to the 4-5 and extracting a decent or better asset from someone who likes the Russian kid too much)

The west is mediocre enough that you could/should be back in the playoffs next year and will be ramping up to contend again right in time for your #3 pick to start becoming an impact player.

The pundits i follow expect Stan to sign a Duchene or Dzingel and push Saad down to the third line and to sign a top 4 minute eating D who can play the PK and move Artem to FLA

Caggiula Toews Kane
UFA F Strome Debrincat
Saad Dach/Cozens Perlini
Sikura Kampf Highmore

Keith Jokiharju
Murphy xxxxxx
Boqvist Gustaffson
Seabrook Dahlstrom
Forsling

Unsure if either Cozens or Dach are ready if not Sikura 3LC

Chicago would be a great fit for Malkin.

If you are the Pens though why? Just ride Crosby/Malkin out until the end and be greatful.

Back