• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

I think this is the same realization that Chicago, LA and Detroit are coming to. The core is getting old, and being a playoff bubble team with no draft picks means a real rebuild is a long way off.

None of those teams have two legit generational players though.

Yeah, Detroit could have traded Lidstrom at 33 after Yzerman retired and Fedorov/Larionov/Shanny etc. were gone to rebuild. But he won 4 more Norris' and another Cup.

The thing is they shouldn't trade any of their elite players. The problem with that team is mostly just bad dman evaluation.

Schultz, Maata, Gudbranson, Johnson combine for $17m and they're all pretty much terrible. They should all be given away if they can.

None of those teams have two legit generational players though.

Nope, just pointing out that each of those teams have core players cresting or beyond their primes.

Malkin $9.5 signed until he's 35
Crosby $8.7 signed until he's 37
Kessel $6.8 signed until he's 34
Hornqvist $5.3 signed until he's 36
Letang $7.8 signed until he's 34

Yeah, I can certainly see the Habs being a top suitor.

Gallagher, #15 overall and Petry?

If Pittsburgh is looking to remain a contender while getting younger and picking up assets, that might be a deal that could work.

Not sure Montreal should be making those type of deals though. They should really be looking to move Weber and Price.

Maybe the deal could be Weber and Price for Malkin and Murray. Habs can retain all the salary necessary. (I know)

I don’t move Gallagher in a deal for an older player. There are other assets.

How are Malkin adv stats this year? I know +/- is pretty useless and he is -25 so I’m wondering if his real stats look as bad.

Wow ... was out earlier and saw the Jets leading 2-0. Just saw they lost 3-2. Heartbreaking. Still think they could win the series though.

Looks like Steve Yzerman’s going to be taking over the Red Wings.

Red Wings just announced a press conference with Yzerman, Holland and the team owner later today.

Last edited:
Love playoff hockey. It looked like the Jets had all the momentum and taken over the series..then the 3rd period happened.

I find it funny how Jets' fans chants that are meant to be so creative burn them so bad.

Hopefully the media ass-kissing of the Jets end.

Funny ovechkin is complaining about that hit on Oshie.
From a guy who continuously jumps when he hits guys and a team with wilson on it. Looks good on the caps.

Yzerman to the Wings was something most expected would happen when he stepped down in Tampa. Also expect Holland will land with Seattle

Turned off Jets/Blues in 2nd intermission, what the **** happened!?

I only tuned in for the 3rd. Blues clawed back to even it up, and then with a minute to go, the Jets decided to try to play for overtime while the Blues didn't, causing the goal.

Why’d Yzerman step down when he only had a year left on his contract and did nothing all season long?
Don’t think there was ever a clear answer on that.

It could have something to do with his assistant GM in Tampa, Julien Brisebois. He was consistently being rumoured as a top contender for every GM opening that was coming up.

So maybe Yzerman, knowing that he’d be leaving for Detroit when his contract was up, didn’t want to leave Tampa in a situation where they’d lose both him AND Brisebois.

He knew he wasn't returning and likely thought it wouldn't be best for Tampa for him staying the last year.
Him doing that screwed the Habs. They wanted Brisbois bad.

Holland rejects Oilers job. Thinking about Seattle.

He is still living off reputation of the pre cap era. Wouldn't want him anywhere near the GM job of my team. Higher up sure, but not in charge of the team.

Seattle is a real tempting job but with Vegas' success all of a sudden you have higher expectations than usual for an expansion team.

Back