• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Too bad about Chiapet's firing. Would've been nice if we'd been able to steal Pool Party from them for a song before he got shit-canned.

But who knows, maybe Kevin Lowe will step in as their interim GM.

Its rotten to the core there. It's become a country club for the old boys.
I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion, based on the organization still letting Chiarelli make moves with significant long-term impact like the Koskinen one right up to his firing, when guys like MacTavish & Lowe have continually been allowed to fail upwards there, and when so many of the other people in their hockey operations have been there throughout their 15-year run of being the league's worst joke.

That organization needs someone competent to completely clean house, and their owner needs to make a blood oath to not interfere.

Also, another funny note about this firing---while it's long overdue, I'm sure Connor McDavid loves that it happened right before the all-star break, so he gets to spend the entire all-star weekend being grilled about it by the entirety of North America's hockey media. It'll be really interesting to see what happens with him going forward. If they bring in another member of the Oilers old-boys club preaching a "re-tool on the fly", is he going to be willing to buy that shit? And even if they bring in someone competent to do the tear-down and rebuild that's needed, will he want to stick around for that?

Keith Gretzky is the interim. Because... he is the brother of the owner's favourite player?

The unfortunate reality for the Oilers is firing Chia probably doesn't solve anything. There will be real Oil Change when they fire the 80s Oilers.

it's so insane crazy that they don't have much option other than to blow it up - four years into McDavid's career.

Man oh man. what do they do?

maybe trade Drai for a bunch of quality depth pieces?

Trade him to Montreal for kotkaniemi/mete and another decent forward or 2?

Their problem is they have to deal with Lucic, Larsson, Russel, Sekera, and Koskinen's contracts before they can do anything of magnitude really. That is ~$25 mill, almost 30% of the cap, locked into players that suck. And there is no quick exit from any of those. They don't have a system filled with cheap talent to be able to replace big core contracts to non-core players.

In theory though replacing all your scouts and finding cheap wingers so you can create 3 scoring lines around McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge shouldn't be that hard. And outscoring most teams should get them into the playoff race. They'll still need top dmen/goalie to be a legit contender and I am not sure how you do that with no cap space.

They'll probably win the Hughes lottery and still **** it up.

it is truly amazing how horribly that franchise has been run.

they have a generational talent, maybe one of the best ever, and they cannot even make the playoffs.

mindboggling idiocy.

I don't see how they can avoid a total tear down. their cap is ****ed, they have no young assets, they have very little to trade of value, they have no goalie, and an absolute shambles of a d core.

You'd probably have to give up one of Mitch, Matty, or Willy. And I would, in a heartbeat. Maybe not Matthews but either of the others. Throw in a 1st, Liljegren, Brown, whatever.

If McDavid is available, no one is untouchable.

and it's truly amazing that the one area they could most easily upgrade to make the team better instantly - goaltending - they just completely screwed up again.

shocking incompetence.

how do you let Chia sign him if he's about to be canned?

and if Nicholson supported the signing well then that is damning in and of itself.

it is truly bewildering. you could crowdsource better decision making.

it reeks of someone higher up making that call - which just means that firing Chia won't accomplish anything.

Too bad about Chiapet's firing. Would've been nice if we'd been able to steal Pool Party from them for a song before he got shit-canned.

But who knows, maybe Kevin Lowe will step in as their interim GM.

I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion, based on the organization still letting Chiarelli make moves with significant long-term impact like the Koskinen one right up to his firing, when guys like MacTavish & Lowe have continually been allowed to fail upwards there, and when so many of the other people in their hockey operations have been there throughout their 15-year run of being the league's worst joke.

That organization needs someone competent to completely clean house, and their owner needs to make a blood oath to not interfere.

Also, another funny note about this firing---while it's long overdue, I'm sure Connor McDavid loves that it happened right before the all-star break, so he gets to spend the entire all-star weekend being grilled about it by the entirety of North America's hockey media. It'll be really interesting to see what happens with him going forward. If they bring in another member of the Oilers old-boys club preaching a "re-tool on the fly", is he going to be willing to buy that shit? And even if they bring in someone competent to do the tear-down and rebuild that's needed, will he want to stick around for that?

that is what ppl were expecting chiapet to do
they just forget about the competent part

Now I have to listen to Spector telling me what a horrible trade Larsson/Hall was. He was sucking Chia's cock over that trade when it first happened and taunting Leaf fans how expensive a top 4 D will be to get.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hall-larsson-swap-impacted-nhl-trade-market/ (Spector in 2017)

The deal that set the bar for the Leafs — and any other team that is rich in forwards but desperate to shore up an Achilles heel blue-line — was the Taylor Hall-for-Adam Larsson trade between the New Jersey Devils and Edmonton Oilers.

Hall’s production — he leads the Devils this season with 25 points in 32 games — is something every fan can easily spot. But Larsson’s attributes are far more subtle: Tough, physical play; an ability to stop the cycle; the willingness to compete physically against any opponent. This was precisely the package Chiarelli was looking to add.

New Jersey clearly misses Larsson more than Edmonton does Hall.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-fire-gm-president-hockey-operations-peter-chiarelli/ (Spector today)

His abjectly inept trades — starting with Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

So Chia makes a horrible trade and he drags the Leafs into it for no reason, and 2 years later changes his mind and says it's a horrible trade. Kind of funny trading Hall was seen as trading from strength. There's no skill in that lineup at all now aside from the obvious.

Last edited:
Back