• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

**William Nylander signs for 6 years, per Dreger**

All new contracts will be lockout protected as we get closer to that date where the CBA ends.
BTW, I found it quite infuriating that the SN crew last night stated other GMs would be so upset with the deal. **** off! Drais got 8.5 million per with a lower cap. How is this so bad at 6.9 million?

Why, because they’re payable before each season starts? Or some other reason?

Since the bonuses are only part of the overall comp, he’d Still lose the salary for the lockout season, so I’m not sure why it’s being called lockout protected. If it was all signing bonuses, then that’d make more sense.

Yeah when people say lockout protected, all they really mean is that for the potential lockout season, almost all the money is in signing bonuses.

Oh is that the case here? One season is all in the form of a bonus and it’s the season after the CBA expires?

Oh is that the case here? One season is all in the form of a bonus and it’s the season after the CBA expires?
Yeah, that'd be next season.

He's getting an $8.3M signing bonus, and only $700K in base salary. So lockout or no lockout next season, Willy is getting his monies.

The CBA is expiring after this season??

And people are actually expecting a lockout to happen? What are the big issues expected to cause an impasse? Everything seems to be humming along great.

Owners need more protection from themselves.

Yeah. This time they need protection from having to pay talented RFA kids real money. This system was put in place specifically to suppress the salary demands of RFA's and as we see, that's just not happening. At least not at the level they want.

I think if you look at the salary progression of the Chicago group of young players, that's the ideal. Salaries were kept down for their star players (Toews and Kane were both in the 5.5 range on their RFA deals if memory serves) until they cashed in on UFA deals. John Tavares is another good example of what they would consider an acceptable salary progression. But these big ass Draisatl, McDavid, Eichel and shortly Matthews & Marner contracts kind of break the mold. Especially the McDavid and Eichel deals. I don't think they (the owners) ever intended on being in a spot where RFA's were signing contracts that are top 10 in the league in AAV.

So now they need to be protected from themselves, again.

It's stupid that with escalating RFA deals, teams are punished for drafting well. The Leafs made fantastic picks 3 years in a row(ok, one was a no-brainer) and that turns into a big negative on the cap, which is stupid.

I can't recall right now but at least one other player signed a lockout protected contract recently. But, yeah, there's some advanced gymnastics going on with this contract.

Tavares.

~$43m of his 88m contract will have been paid out before he training camp of his third season.

48% of his contract paid out over the first ~25% of his deal.

CBA should include a provision that allows you to go over the cap to sign your own drafted players. Teams who draft well should not be punished by having to tear it down due to cap crunch. Also teams with tax advantages needs to be addressed

All new contracts will be lockout protected as we get closer to that date where the CBA ends.
BTW, I found it quite infuriating that the SN crew last night stated other GMs would be so upset with the deal. **** off! Drais got 8.5 million per with a lower cap. How is this so bad at 6.9 million?
Frankly, other GM's should be ecstatic about this deal. We very well might be in the middle of a seismic shift in hockey, where young stars recognize that they have to make sure they get PAID on their second contracts, because there's no guarantee anyone's going to be lining up to give them big money or term if they're pushing 30 by the time they're ready for their third deal.

Nylander's deal held the line on this, though. He came in at below $7M at a figure that's pretty much Pastrnak's deal + inflation. The only thing that other teams could potentially whine about is the signing bonuses, because broke-ass teams/owners aren't in a great position to hand out massive lump sum payments on July 1st, before they've sold a single ticket for the coming season.

But that's one advantage the Leafs have under a hard cap system, and they should keep leveraging the hell out of it. It helped them land Tavares, and front-loading contracts with signing bonuses has also helped them get out of bad deals (like Matt Martin's, for example).

The CBA is expiring after this season??

And people are actually expecting a lockout to happen? What are the big issues expected to cause an impasse? Everything seems to be humming along great.
Technically, no. The current CBA runs until 2022.

But both the league and the NHLPA can opt out of the current deal next September, and it's widely expected that the NHLPA will opt out if a new agreement isn't reached before then. The players apparently believe they made a ton of concessions in the last couple of negotiations, and with the league on solid financial footing, they feel it's time for the owners to give back on some fronts.

And as for whether people are expecting a lockout, let's just put it this way: in Gary Bettman's tenure as NHL commissioner, he's negotiated a CBA three times, and each of those times there's been a lockout. First in the 94/95 season, when the season was shortened to 48 games. Next was the 04/05 season, which was wiped out in its entirety. And then the 2012/13 season, which again was reduced to 48 games.

Just objectively, I do think these RFAs make way too much money after just 2-3 years in the league. It wouldn’t bother me one bit if they established a rule that said the second contract can be no longer than three years and establish some max AAV. You should really only have this Nylander level of impasse around 5-6 years into their career, and then sign the long deal that eats up several UFA years.

I don't understand a lot of the reaction to this.

the Leafs got very close to yearly cap hit they wanted. much closer, certainly, to their cap number than what Nylander's camp started with.

Dubas wanted a $6m x 6 deal. Buying one free agent year.
Nylander first asked for $8.5m x 8 selling three UFA years.

Nylander got $7.5m x 6.

We're also paying him $17m in real money between now and July 2nd.

He was an RFA so Dubas could never really "lose"....but we're absolutely the ones who capitulated in large part to their demands. The $6.9m per is on the high end of the scale of what we expected and even that's only after using the loophole that cuts future cap hits.

Dubas made the right decision.....Gross & Nylanders simply gained far more from this holdout than we did.

Yeah. This time they need protection from having to pay talented RFA kids real money. This system was put in place specifically to suppress the salary demands of RFA's and as we see, that's just not happening. At least not at the level they want.

I think if you look at the salary progression of the Chicago group of young players, that's the ideal. Salaries were kept down for their star players (Toews and Kane were both in the 5.5 range on their RFA deals if memory serves) until they cashed in on UFA deals. John Tavares is another good example of what they would consider an acceptable salary progression. But these big ass Draisatl, McDavid, Eichel and shortly Matthews & Marner contracts kind of break the mold. Especially the McDavid and Eichel deals. I don't think they (the owners) ever intended on being in a spot where RFA's were signing contracts that are top 10 in the league in AAV.

So now they need to be protected from themselves, again.

Not sure how they do this. The genie is out of the bottle.

Tavares.

~$43m of his 88m contract will have been paid out before he training camp of his third season.

48% of his contract paid out over the first ~25% of his deal.

There ya go. Interestingly, unlike Nylander's deal, he has huge SB small salary every year.

I don’t even care about bonus versus salary. Let the money reach the player. We have plenty to spare.

All I care about is cap hit and keeping our guys and building a dynasty.

Not sure how they do this. The genie is out of the bottle.

The key is tho....there's more old guys in the NHLPA than there is kids, and those older guys are gonna feel the pinch very accutely.

You're right it might be too late....but I think Mindz is right that they're gonna push damn hard to get that money more balanced. Or try to put something in to keep it from getting even more out of wack.

There's a lot of guys who went cheap on their RFA deals like they were "supposed" to....and now are becoming UFAs for the first time & won't get that one monster deal they'd always been promised.

That's gonna be an issue.

There ya go. Interestingly, unlike Nylander's deal, he has huge SB small salary every year.

Nylander had to get his in the second season, so the Leafs could get a $6.9m cap hit in 2-6....instead of the $7.5m of the actual deal. We still made him whole year one with the $2m signing bonus....but his first fat signing bonuses couldn't come until years two ($8.3m July 1st, 700k salary)

Back