• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020-21 News Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
A few months after bringing PSG to the Champions League final, Thomas Tuchel was sacked and replaced by Mauricio Pochettino...who was sacked a few months after leading his team to the Champions League final. Pochettino made 95 appearances for PSG from 2000-03.
I know he got results last season but I always though Tuchel was a curious fit in Paris. I never thought that would last, even discounting that ownership group's notoriously twitchy trigger finger.

HNIM

Pretty dead in here... I hope some of you got a chance to see Marine v. Spurs in the FA Cup. For those of you who didn't, Marine (in the Northern Premier League Division I) has homes backed up to both sidelines, with nets to keep the ball from going out. And in case the ball goes over the net anyway, there are signs on the net indicating the house number of the yard the ball went into, so that you know which door to knock on to ask for the ball back. Not that that was a problem, because the residents were all out sitting on top of their sheds drinking champagne or whatever, watching the match and blowing their air horns. It was absolutely charming.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The NC Courage take another hit. Center back Abby Dahlkamper is headed to Man City on a 2-1/2 year deal, where she’ll join Sam Mewis and Rose Lavelle. City are 4th in the table, 4 points behind Arsenal for the last Champions League place, with 1 match in hand.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Wayne Rooney announces his retirement as a player and becomes the full-time manager at Derby County. He had been trying to do both. Frank Lampard brought them to the Championship playoffs in his only season there, 2018-19. They fell to 10th last season under manager Phillip Cocu and have been mired at the bottom of the table this season. Cocu left at the end of November and Rooney was appointed interim manager. They’re 22nd in the table with 19 points in 22 matches, tied with Sheffield Wednesday who had their 12 point deduction reduced to 6.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Athletic reports that Arsenal and Mesut Ozil have mutually agreed to terminate his contract. He’ll sign with Fenerbahce as a free agent.